[Archive] Favourite Lord of the rings movie?

Kloofpumph:

A simple question really-I’ve been ill with the dreaded lurgy recently, and have been watching the LOTR films. A lot:D. So, I was just wondering what CDO’s favourite chapter of J.R.Tolkiens masterpiece is?

Mine would have to be the two towers, out of nothing more than a combined obsession with seige warfare and Uruk-hai.

Bolg:

Ralph Baksy’s animated version isnt in this list!!

And they all suck, the books are way better! (but part one stayed closes to the book so would be the best.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I’d vote for all of them evenly and for different reasons.

I do like the “Making of Smegal” in the third one though.

Snotling:

Tolkins masterpiece is the book, not the movie… and the books bored me as hell ^^ I mean, I want monsters and warriors and evil stuff to inspirate me… not three books of landscape architecture :slight_smile:

I like the two towers the most, the attack on helms deep is my favourite scene, but I like the Warg attack and the Ent attack, too… fantasy battles for the win! :hat off

Baggronor:

I love all three films but Fellowship of the Ring is my overall favourite, I love the way it opens up the world and sets the scene. And it has 15ft tall Sauron swatting elves :slight_smile:

Favourite scene would have to be Gandalf falling with the Balrog from the Two Towers though, best opening to a film ever :slight_smile: I saw it three times in the cinema just for that scene.

I love the books too, but they are a different entity; you can’t do a film like a book. The best part of the books for me is that Tolkien’s descriptions are so sensitively done that everyone can really have their own take on what the places and people look like.

Warhammerman:

Two towers. But, the books are so much better.

Bassman:

Ok everybody we all love the books the most but Kloofpumph (nice nick, what does it mean? :slight_smile: ) asked us abotu the movies :slight_smile:

My Fav? Return of the king. Why? Because the siege of Mynas Tirith is the best part of the trilogy- We have the orc commander, when they breach into the city and start to slaughter the scum… ehm. humans :wink: is great!
When the Nazghul talks to Gandalf and say “the world of men will fall…” is fantastic. If he only killed the old man instead of leave him alive… damn evil characters, why they do all make the same mistake?

The charge of the Rohimmir is breathtaking and the orc commander proove to know Warhammer! He knows to counter cavalry charges with ranks! He even says “fight from the front not from the rear” clearly proving that a rear charge negates ranks and give a +2 to combat resolution :wink:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I don’t know if he plays Warhammer…but that’s a cute analogy.

Kloofpumph:

Thanks everybody for your idea’s:hat off.

Ok everybody we all love the books the most but Kloofpumph (nice nick, what does it mean? :slight_smile: ) asked us abotu the movies :slight_smile:

Bassman
Tobe honest, I’ve no idea-it just seemed an appropriate name;P.

Loki:

Has to be the two towers for just for the battle of helms deep :slight_smile:

Border Reiver:

Two Towers for the siege Helm’s Deep. Although the Last Charge of the Rohirrim should make anyone sit up and take notice. The best line of the movies was in the first one however - “They have a Cave Troll.”

Snotling:

Ok everybody we all love the books ...

Bassman
I really don't ^^. I'm glad that I read them cause it's kind of the duty of every Fantasy fan to read them, but most of it was boring to me...

Pyro Stick:

Return of the king is my favourite but they are all great films.

If you think LOTR is a heavy duty/boring book, try reading The Silmarillion.

Zanko:

Pyro Stick
Imo the Silmarillion is great - only the beginning is really boring and aweful but till the Elves reached middle earth :o great!

Going back to topic ... I like mostly the "Two Towers" cause I'm a fan of Isengard as a location the the battle of Helms Deep (is this the correct name in english?) is really cool ( though the description in the book is much better than the realization in the film)! :P

:hashut

cornixt:

I’ve always struggled to maintain interest enought to read LOTR books. The Hobbit I got through easily, but it took me three goes to get past Frodo getting the ring, and the last one was only because I’d seen the film, skipped a load of it, and knew it would get a bit better. Never finished the Two Towers or even started on ROTK.

Hazkar:

the two towers was the best of the trilogie

the books was okay…took me loooooong time to read them,cause of all the endless describtions of landscapes

in my eyes return of the king was terrible,the long fight for minas tirith and then the ghosts arrives and -bam- battle is over…what a cheap end. and way to much uninteresting talking about nothing and walking through the landscape

and fellowship of the ring is a good family movie…also my mother loved it(her words:“all this little hobbits in the first movie are so cute…but these orcs in the other movies are ugly”)

but the two towers did the job right…told the story good,lots of action and great effects

Baggronor:

If you think Tolkien is heavy going, try reading Paradise Lost :)

dncswlf:

Ha! I was going to say the Ralph Bashki film also! or the completely animated Return of the King… Love the “Where there’s a Whip there’s a way song!!!” ha!

Ralph Baksy’s animated version isnt in this list!!

And they all suck, the books are way better! (but part one stayed closes to the book so would be the best.

Bolg

Thorne:

Fellowship of the ring, It sets you up so well with the protragonists sadly the second film I found a little disapointing and the third film quite lacking, If we were talking reading the books then it would be the two towers strangely.

frogbear:

I chose the Two Towers over the Return of the King only because the ending of the last movie shits me to tears no end.

Say “goodbuy” already - geez!