[Archive] Film of the week, Prometheus, warning Spoilers

CopperPot:

So there must be Alien fans on here right, me I’m a massive fan and couldn’t wait to watch this film I liked it but felt it fell rather short from being on par with Alien or Aliens.

I was left alittle confused with the start of the film and with the story line mid film with all the different lifeforms I did like the introduction of the engineers what did you think.

Grimstonefire:

I think it was as good as I thought it would be. Only.

It is an enjoyable film, but Aliens is my favourite film of the series, so because this is so different it obviously was not as good imo.

I see Ridley Scott is already talking about a prequel sequel.

bas_2312:

First half of the movie was great, second part not so much. I feel like they tried to appeal to the Alien-fans too much, so they tried to put too much stuff in. It might have been better as a standalone movie without all the references.

That said, I am looking forward to the Directors Cut coming this fall. It is said to be half an hour longer, which might solve some of the problems.

Grimstonefire:

I agree the second half is weaker.  It’s the problem for films like this that spend a long time building up the ‘entering mystery building/ship/temple’ part then struggle to keep it interesting beyond that.

AVP is a better film than this because (imo) things get more interesting inside the mystery building all the way to the end of the film.

The worst part of the film imo is when Charlize Theron’s character dies.

CopperPot:

I’ve heard this Prequel is going to be three films I think it was mentioned in an interview.

What are your thoughts on the start of the film when the engineer kills himself the stuff he drinks was that the crap which was pouring out of the vases in the temple so if my thinking is right its some sort of bio engineered weapon that was made to kill the human race.

Aliens was pretty awesome

fattdex:

Engineer drinks the goop and sacrifices himself to seed the planet with his dna and begin life on that planet. When the goop is ingested in self sacrifice ritual and good intention it dissolves the Body into primordial soup (the giver of life) (a bit of a reference to weyland corporations geo engineering). When it is ingested to a being of malice like humans it gives birth to the destroyer (space shark). There were a ton of references to sacrifice and end of life for the common good mirroring that of greek legend titan prometheus having his guts ripped open for eternity as penance for giving man fire, the woman giving birth to the proto face hugger being one. The engineer went loco killing everyone because of two reasons, one he saw that weyland only sought power to extend his life not pass on as life was designed reinforcing the selfishness of man (and seeing david as the false creationism of man) and, sounds whacky but the info was from ridley scott in an interviw: two- the engineers died at the facility due to an event two thousand years ago: jesus was a space emissary and humans killed him (another side torn open sacrifice reference with spear to the gut on the cross) im not sure how this ended up with dozens of engineers dead on the planet, but assumedly the body was taken back with them after the whole christ rose from the dead and rejoined his father in heaven, was tainted by humans and birthed a destroyer. Allegedly this stuff was thought to be laid on a bit heavy in the draft and was cut back to just a reference to their last contact with us was two thousand years ago. Interested to see if any of it makes the directors cut.

*note; not my original research, a pastiche of breakdowns i have read over the internet.

CopperPot:

Very good explanation clears up a few things.

fattdex:

Have a read: Prometh US Forum

Bolg:

Over at geek dot com I read a huge bit on the movie as well, I’ve seen it but now I need to see it again (it was said that the story is loosely based on Paridise Lost).

Oh and fast bender was awesome in the movie and I did like the second part where the girls operates on herself and grows the biggest pair of balls in the movie.

CopperPot:

yeah I definately need to watch this again now I have read the interview.

fattdex:

Thirded

I like how the engineers practically look like greek or roman marble statues.

Discoking:

Why did 2 quite intelligent women insist on running down a corridor of death?

One of them was fooled twice.

A simple step to the left or right would’ve been safety.

As proven by the last woman, as she get out from underneath it.

It really really bothered me how ridiculous some of the crap this movie threw up in my face.

Why was the male scientist’s personality completely changed half way through?

(to the point where he is verging on becoming a synical alcoholic).

& why get a young actor play someone so old?

& why did the female party leader, who is very cautious;

Have an operating table in her private quarters, programmed for men only?

So many flaws.

fattdex:

& why did the female party leader, who is very cautious;
Have an operating table in her private quarters, programmed for men only?
It was in the lifeboat, it was programmed for Weyland.

wallacer:

I think this film might be better in the director’s cut version.

The only thing that really bugged me about the film was that you never get to find out why the aliens decided to wipe out humanity.

Discoking:

fattdex
But men only?
Intergalactic space travel - one gender setting.
Phrrp.

CopperPot:

I think this film might be better in the director's cut version.
The only thing that really bugged me about the film was that you never get to find out why the aliens decided to wipe out humanity.

wallacer
You need to read the interview mate something on the lines of the Human race lost its way and killed one of their own (jesus) was an engineer first contact kind of thing just read the interview it answers alot.

Shimsham:

Back story aside (which they could have done better) there were alot of plot points that just smacked of no thought. The main character gets major surgery then spends the next hour of the film running, jumping, leaping falling etc with nothing but 20 staples holding her together. Running down the corridor of death (as forementioned), the one sex medi-pod, even forming a team of “top” scientists, half who seemed to have major psychology issues… And then get there and are then briefed? WTF! They didn’t even know each other!!!

Yeah, so much wrong. Had a real opportunity to do it so right. Go see Iron Sky I say, that movie was awesome.

fattdex:

fattdex
But men only?
Intergalactic space travel - one gender setting.
Phrrp.

Discoking
Edit: sorry shimsham i didnt see your reply i just said pretty much the same thing.

Yeah my major beef with the movie is mainly with the script. They railroad you into tooo many things, then some things are just derp like spending a trillion dollars on a space mission only to have the crew first meet each other and get briefed well into the journey after hypersleep, filled with dickheads like haircut and speccy. John Glenn and moon mission it was not.

Galladorn:

I truly enjoyed the movie, but the lax attitude of the crew after discovering proof of extraterrestrial beings was a big negative for me. Two men stranded inside of an alien tunnel system/ship and the captain goes off and gets laid? Small things like that ruin the experience for me.

CopperPot:

If Charlize Theron said to me do you wanna party I wouldn’t care if there was other alien life.