[Archive] First 1000 Points

Wakkarr:

This is my first Chaos Dwarf list…so be gentle, but all comments are appreciated.

Heroes:

Chaos Dwarf hero, Armour of Gazrakh, Great Weapon. 94 Points

(Do I use the new dwarf hero stat line and points or the Pdf stats?)

Hobgoblin hero, BSB, Heavy armour, enchanted shield. 79 Points

Troops:

25 Warriors, Standard and Muso. 245 Points

20 Warriors, Blunderbuss, Standard. 250 Points

30 Hobgoblins with shields, standard and muso. 110 Points

30 Hobgoblins with shields, standard and muso. 110 Points

Rare:

Earthshaker. 110 Points

Thommy H:

(Do I use the new dwarf hero stat line and points or the Pdf stats?)
The pdf. The Dwarf list has nothing to do with the Chaos Dwarf list.

Your list seems okay, but a little bit hobgoblin heavy for my liking. What are you using those two big units for? They don't really have the ability to win many combats (given that they sit somewhere between a human and a goblin in terms of killing power), but you've given them a standard and musician, so they look like combat units.

IMO, you need to use your hobgoblins for a specific purpose, or they're just 60 models that are sitting there for the sole purpose of being killed. That's a lot of cannon fodder in a 1000 point army.

Wakkarr:

The goblins are there as semi-fighting units, as with the general and BSB within 12" they will be tough to break, and 30 models with full ranks should give plenty of static CR.

Thommy H:

But with their average WS and Strength, and sub-standard Initiative and Ld (even with the general and BSB - which you’re limiting by having to keep them close enough to the hobgoblins in order for them to function) they aren’t exactly the best troops to sink points into. If you want a combat unit that can stand its ground just as effectively as the hobgoblins as well as shoot, you might as well take more blunderbusses.

Remember these guys suffer from animosity too - two bad rolls per turn and you’ve got 1/5th of your army unable to do anything.

You seem to be trying to get a decent units out of inherently poor troops. They’re not going to be able to stand up to any halfway competent combat unit that comes their way, so they’re only useful for tying up enemy chargers for a turn, in which cause you might as well take smallish units to do the same job. 30 hobgoblins will not beat a unit of knights, no matter what their rank bonus, so you might as well take 10 or 15 and have them do the same job (i.e. die and leave the knights open to a flank charge from your other units).

In fact, looking at your army, your force is essentially static. That’s not a bad thing per se, but they aren’t exactly equipped to be a gunline. You have a grand total of one war machine and one missile unit (which only has a range of 12") - what are you going to be doing with this army besides waiting to get charged? Your counter-charge units consist of only the dwarfs (which are decent, but not overly so) and all those hobgoblins, which are going to fall apart as soon as anything outfitted specifically for combat breathes to hard on them.

I think you need to make use of some of the fast moving elements that Chaos Dwarfs have available. Replace your hobgoblin units with some wolf riders with bows and get some bull centaurs in place of that hobgoblin hero.

Oh, I just realised he’s your BSB…you can’t do that. Only a Chaos Dwarf or Bull Centaur can be the BSB.

Also, what are you doing about magic? You have no wizards at all. You might be surprised just how much magic some armies can bring to bear, even at 1000 points.

Anyway, I think you need to build your army list with more of an eye towards the strategy you’ll be employing. Against a fast-moving army, your guys can be picked apart a leisure (and the lone earthshaker isn’t enough to stop an entire army advancing on you) and against a slow-moving one, you’re likely to loose out in a missile fire exchange.

Wakkarr:

Thanks for the response, I’ll take your advice and reduce the hobgoblin numbers. I’ll fix the BSB and perhaps focus more on shooting prowess.

Heroes:
Chaos Dwarf hero, Armour of Gazrakh, Great Weapon. 94 Points
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer, LvL 2. 100 Points

Troops:
25 Warriors, Standard and Muso. 245 Points
20 Warriors, Blunderbuss. . 240 Points
10 Hobgoblins with Bows. 50 Points
10 Hobgoblins with bows. 50 Points
10 Hobgoblins with bows. 50 Points

Special:
Bolt-thrower 30 Points
Bolt-thrower 30 Points

Rare:
Earthshaker. 110 Points

Now I have a 30 bows, 3 warmachines, a LvL 2 Sorcerer and 20 Blunderbusses.

Thommy H:

Yep, two bolt throwers is a tried and tested tactic. I can’t comment on it myself, but I hear they’re real bastards, so it seems like a good idea.

The army is looking a lot more rounded now. The only thing I’d suggest is losing a model each from your dwarf units so you can put the characters in them and free up a few extra points to give your sorcerer a dispel scroll or something.

metro_gnome:

i like the second list…

i’d try to find the 10 point to add 2 more bowmen and field them in 3 units of 10…

maybe drop the level on the sorceror in favor of a scroll…

Wakkarr:

I like having the 2nd level, as it gives me one more way to do some damage at range, Ill make a few tweaks to the second list (I’ll edit it rather than re-post).

Uzkul Werit:

A scroll isn’t needed in 1000pts. You are likely to be going against only the one hero and it’ll nearly always be a fighty hero. I would suggest perhaps dropping the Mage for a few more Warriors but as you won’t be able to get a Chaos Dwarf unit out of 100pts, I’d leave the list as it is. Just get ready to be outnumbered.

Lepreh Khan:

Well, first of all in your first list a Hobgoblin hero can’t be the BSB, so your second list is better off right there.

Only things that I would do is:

-drop the bowmen down to regular naked hobbos and put their numbers up to 15 each

-Drop 1 Blunder and 1 Warrior from each group.

-That gives you 80 points or so and you can add either another Sorcerer, CD Hero, 2 more Bolt throwers, more Naked Hobbos (or bow hobbos if you really want to).

Also, you could drop 2 slave units and get a decked-out unit of Wolf riders, but that would be a lot of points to field that unit.

-LK

ErikinWest:

I agree 2nd list looks pretty good. I have only a couple suggestions. Drop 10 hobs/w/bows for some unarmed ones. That way you have something to use a shield. Drop the a single model for where your characters are going. I prefer to use BB in 6x3 or 5x3 formation. I would drop it down to 18 and then give it a standard and a musician. Other than that, cheers!

Erik