[Archive] First Tournament with LoA

Discoking:

Hi,

I took my recently painted Dawi Zharr to a tournament on the weekend.

26 players, after some drop-outs.

I came 20th, unfortunately.

Game 1. Orcs & Goblins

He had a really nice looking army -

2xSquig Herder Hordes, a horde of 50 Big’uns, some Savages, BSB, Lvl4 Orc, Savage General, 2xArtillery, an Araknarok & a Pump Wagon.

Even after I Purple Sunned my Sorcerer-Prophet; I ended up winning 15-5, my artillery were mentally accurate, sniping the enemy General with a Magma Cannon is a funny sight.

Game 2. (My friend Matt with his) Ogres

Ironblaster, 6 Bulls, 7 Leadbelchers, 9 Ironguts, Slaughtermaster, BSB, Firebelly, 3 Sabretusks, 6 Mournfang.

Matt went on to win the tournament.

Needless to say, Matt never makes any mistakes. Ever.

He promptly beat me 20-0. My K’Daai was held up by a Dragonhelm BSB, & failed his Toughness test twice for 3 wounds, & the Hellcannon Misfired & Chomped itself on Turn 1.

Feel my pain!

Game 3. Skaven (our worst match up?)

Doomwheel, WL Cannon, Abom, 2xSlaves, 2xClanrats, 3xGiant Rats, BSB, 2xGrey Seers, 2xGutter Runners.

I haven’t played against Skaven for a long, long time.

So was a bit apprehensive, although my opponent was really nice & basically gave me a run through of what everything can do.

After this game I was in absolute shock at the utter devastation they caused. I literally couldn’t do a thing to them, & even my opponent was in shock at the fact that all his toys etc in his army worked. Everything.

My Destroyer was dead turn 2 by Doom Wheel, as was the Magma Cannon via Brass Orb.

The Thirteenth Spell was cast & 4D6 (19 was rolled) the last of my Infernals, were dead. By my turn 3, all I had left was a Hellcannon, 1 BC on 1 wound, the BSB & Sorcerer-Prophet.

I conceded & he bought me a beer :cheers

20-0 win to him.

Game 4. High Elves

20 Phoenix Guard, 2xEagles, 2 RBT, 2x10 Archers, 30xSea Guard, 30xWhite Lions, lvl 4, lvl 2 & BSB.

This guy is a renowned prat.

He is extremely fussy with movement & angles, & plays turns out on the board whilst playing. He was taking so long we got to his turn 5 & it was Dice Down. Which he then kicked off.

So this game ended on a 10-10 draw.

I would’ve won if he wasn’t an awful human-being.

My Hellcannon held down 20 Phoenix Guard, but died just as it was about to start winning, got them down to 10 (couldn’t hit more than 2 a turn). The Destroyer was held down by eagles, & his never ending fidgetty play style was killing me.

Game 5. Vampire Counts

Coven Throne, 2 Banshees, 2 GW Wights, 2x10 Dire Woves, 20 Dire Wolves, 2xCarts, Vamp Count, 2x20 Zombies, 25 Skeletons, 6-7 Wraiths+a 3rd Banshee.

This guy was really nice, & was really fun to play against. He took a Coven Throne purely because no one else takes it, & he’s trying to make it work. He went on to win a trophy for most Sportsmanship, & justly so.

I can’t put an ill-word against him.

Lots of fun in this game, 15 Dire Wolves charged my solo 1 wound Daemonsmith (Hellcannon rampaged away, & DeathShrieker Misfired with re-roll!) He killed them all!

3 Bull Centaurs took on 25 Skellies with Vampire General & G.Weapon Wight.

They held them up for the entire game, & with a flank charge from 20 Hobbos, wiped them all in the last turn.

I ended up losing my BSB & Sorcerer-Prophet to the Coven Throne, & the Destroyer was killed by Banshees.

But every turn was full of fun & mishaps on both sides. The Bull Centaurs were the most confusing unit choice, according to most people at the tournament, but this game proved how tough & resilient they are.

12-8 win to me.

I had loads of fun, I learned a lot & I can’t wait to play with my Dawi Zharr again.

However, I did feel I was really restricted with the army comp.

Even though I got a measly 37/100 points, I subsequently won the Best LoA Player award… By default.

I was the only one there!:hat off

MLP:

Nice little tournament report. Sounds like missfires/T checks were letting you down a bit more than average but as long as you enjoyed yourself it’s all good. It’s always a shame when you match up against an unsportmanly player, but I happens.

Discoking:

Hi,

I took my recently painted Dawi Zharr to a tournament on the weekend.

26 players, after some drop-outs.

I came 20th, unfortunately.

Game 1. Orcs & Goblins

He had a really nice looking army -

2xSquig Herder Hordes, a horde of 50 Big’uns, some Savages, BSB, Lvl4 Orc, Savage General, 2xArtillery, an Araknarok & a Pump Wagon.

Even after I Purple Sunned my Sorcerer-Prophet; I ended up winning 15-5, my artillery were mentally accurate, sniping the enemy General with a Magma Cannon is a funny sight.

Game 2. (My friend Matt with his) Ogres

Ironblaster, 6 Bulls, 7 Leadbelchers, 9 Ironguts, Slaughtermaster, BSB, Firebelly, 3 Sabretusks, 6 Mournfang.

Matt went on to win the tournament.

Needless to say, Matt never makes any mistakes. Ever.

He promptly beat me 20-0. My K’Daai was held up by a Dragonhelm BSB, & failed his Toughness test twice for 3 wounds, & the Hellcannon Misfired & Chomped itself on Turn 1.

Feel my pain!

Game 3. Skaven (our worst match up?)

Doomwheel, WL Cannon, Abom, 2xSlaves, 2xClanrats, 3xGiant Rats, BSB, 2xGrey Seers, 2xGutter Runners.

I haven’t played against Skaven for a long, long time.

So was a bit apprehensive, although my opponent was really nice & basically gave me a run through of what everything can do.

After this game I was in absolute shock at the utter devastation they caused. I literally couldn’t do a thing to them, & even my opponent was in shock at the fact that all his toys etc in his army worked. Everything.

My Destroyer was dead turn 2 by Doom Wheel, as was the Magma Cannon via Brass Orb.

The Thirteenth Spell was cast & 4D6 (19 was rolled) the last of my Infernals, were dead. By my turn 3, all I had left was a Hellcannon, 1 BC on 1 wound, the BSB & Sorcerer-Prophet.

I conceded & he bought me a beer :cheers

20-0 win to him.

Game 4. High Elves

20 Phoenix Guard, 2xEagles, 2 RBT, 2x10 Archers, 30xSea Guard, 30xWhite Lions, lvl 4, lvl 2 & BSB.

This guy is a renowned prat.

He is extremely fussy with movement & angles, & plays turns out on the board whilst playing. He was taking so long we got to his turn 5 & it was Dice Down. Which he then kicked off.

So this game ended on a 10-10 draw.

I would’ve won if he wasn’t an awful human-being.

My Hellcannon held down 20 Phoenix Guard, but died just as it was about to start winning, got them down to 10 (couldn’t hit more than 2 a turn). The Destroyer was held down by eagles, & his never ending fidgetty play style was killing me.

Game 5. Vampire Counts

Coven Throne, 2 Banshees, 2 GW Wights, 2x10 Dire Woves, 20 Dire Wolves, 2xCarts, Vamp Count, 2x20 Zombies, 25 Skeletons, 6-7 Wraiths+a 3rd Banshee.

This guy was really nice, & was really fun to play against. He took a Coven Throne purely because no one else takes it, & he’s trying to make it work. He went on to win a trophy for most Sportsmanship, & justly so.

I can’t put an ill-word against him.

Lots of fun in this game, 15 Dire Wolves charged my solo 1 wound Daemonsmith (Hellcannon rampaged away, & DeathShrieker Misfired with re-roll!) He killed them all!

3 Bull Centaurs took on 25 Skellies with Vampire General & G.Weapon Wight.

They held them up for the entire game, & with a flank charge from 20 Hobbos, wiped them all in the last turn.

I ended up losing my BSB & Sorcerer-Prophet to the Coven Throne, & the Destroyer was killed by Banshees.

But every turn was full of fun & mishaps on both sides. The Bull Centaurs were the most confusing unit choice, according to most people at the tournament, but this game proved how tough & resilient they are.

12-8 win to me.

I had loads of fun, I learned a lot & I can’t wait to play with my Dawi Zharr again.

However, I did feel I was really restricted with the army comp.

Even though I got a measly 37/100 points, I subsequently won the Best LoA Player award… By default.

I was the only one there!:hat off

MLP:

Nice little tournament report. Sounds like missfires/T checks were letting you down a bit more than average but as long as you enjoyed yourself it’s all good. It’s always a shame when you match up against an unsportmanly player, but I happens.

thrawn:

thanks for the battle report, sounded like a fun tournament (except for the HE guy!)

themanbelow:

Cool report, thanks dude.

So is there anything you would do differently? (i.e what changes to the army list would you make?)

Lava Lord:

:hat Nice info, thanx for sharing. Like the comrade 's post before this one, love to hear anything you’d change and lesson’s learned… Again nice rept… take care :hat off

rpitts2004:

:hat  Nice info, thanx for sharing.  Like the comrade 's post before this one, love to hear anything you'd change and lesson's learned.. Again nice rept.. take care  :hat off

Lava Lord
The High Elf guy blends in with that army nicely.

Discoking:

Haha - I agree, about the haughty High Elf player - very appropriate!

The list I took:

2400 - ETC Comp
+ Lords + (350pts)

* Sorcerer-Prophet (350pts)
        Charmed Shield, Lore of Death, Talisman of Preservation, Wizard Level 4

+ Heroes + (427pts)

* Daemonsmith Sorcerer (125pts)
       Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire, Pistol, Wizard Level 1

* Dark Castellan (190pts)
    Battle Standard Bearer, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Sword of Might, Talisman of Endurance

* Hobgoblin Khan (56pts)
        Giant Wolf, Light Armour, Shield

* Hobgoblin Khan (56pts)
        Giant Wolf, Light Armour, Shield

+ Core + (627pts)

* 28 x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (383pts)
     Musician, Overseer, Lichebone Pennant

* 20 x Hobgoblin Cutthroats (122pts)
       Musician, Standard Bearer, Bows, Shields

* 20 x Hobgoblin Cutthroats (122pts)
       Musician, Standard Bearer, Bows, Shields

+ Special + (400pts)

* 3 x Bull Centaur Renders (155pts)
        Musician, Great Weapons

* Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (100pts)

* Magma Cannon (145pts)

+ Rare + (595pts)

* Hellcannon (205pts)

* 5 x Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders (65pts)
        Musician

* K’daai Destroyer (325pts)

What Would I do differently…

Well, as I previously mentioned, people at the tournament didn’t rate the 3 Bull Centaurs.
But after they (almost) single handedly killed a load of Skeletons/Wight/Vamp, & against the O&G they took out the Araknarok, against Ogres they took on 2 Mournfang…

I guess I’d take more of these guys. I’d like a unit of 6 TBH.

The Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders were next to useless -
They were useful, I guess an additional Khan would’ve been a lot better & cheaper.

The Shields on the Cutthroats were not necessary.
I think I’d like 2 units of 40 with bows. Not sure.

I should have tried to cast Purple Sun a lot more, to break up advancing armies.
But in Game 1 I lost the Lvl4 to my own Purple Sun, so I kind of lost confidence in the spell!
Haha - But I would cast that more, even if it didn’t kill anything, it makes people think twice about moving.

I’d try & give the war machines Hellbound. I found my war machines were the main priority targets for my enemies.
So, needing 4 6’s for wounds is harder than needing 3.
& also being immune to & causing Fear is only a good thing.

Any other things I can think of, I’ll let you know -
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

DQ

Da Crusha:

I used to run purple sun all the time with RH. I used potion of speed before I cast purple sun to help keep me quick on my toes should I misfire it. its cheap and works.

Da Crusha:

I used to run purple sun all the time with RH. I used potion of speed before I cast purple sun to help keep me quick on my toes should I misfire it. its cheap and works.