[Archive] For Rome...Centurion!� � Updated 12/27/12

nitroglysarine:

looking good!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Hazkar:

nice stuff

good paintjob,are the shield designs painted by hand?if yes,big thumb up

PsychosisPC:

nice stuff
good paintjob,are the shield designs painted by hand?if yes,big thumb up

Hazkar
Virtually all of the shields are transfers, there are 3 or 4 though that I did have to hand paint as I ran out of transfers. I did dress up the transfers on most, especially with the veterans, by weathering them a bit.

PsychosisPC:

As previously mentioned, my Auxiliary cavalry unit is finished, one of the models in not pictured in this group shot, but they are all done, and I finally got around to shooting some pics just the unit, as well as a couple of individual shots. I think that I have also finally figured out how to paint horses and came up with some color schemes that work.

PsychosisPC:

On the shields, I used the Little Big Men transfers. Some close-ups of the models:

Once again using these transfers nearly brings tear to your eyes as they are so good, so detailed, so well thought out, and so user friendly. They were actually center hole-punched where the shield boss is located, absolutely awesome.

Hazkar:

nice stuff,thar transfers are really good looking

PsychosisPC
haha that horse looks absolutely like a serial killer

nitroglysarine:

I am Silver, greatest killer of the west… no one suspects the horse…

Good work, I rather like the warlord range, simple, cheep and interesting angles with some of the troops (especially the celts)

Bassman:

Wow, cool stuff. Your horses are much better than mine! How you made them :slight_smile:

Bassman

PsychosisPC:

Yea I really need to fix that eye, its one of those things that you don’t notice until you super enlarge the image.

tjub:

Good work over all, looks great!

Blue in VT:

:cheers

I’m really liking these mounted guys…very nice! have you said what rule set you are using? Sounds like Warlords new rules should be interesting.

Keep up the good work!

Blue

PsychosisPC:

Warhammer Ancients is what I’m using. Its a great set of rules. I have Warlord’s Blackpowder Book, which Hail Caesar is supposedly going to be like, and while interesting its not as appealing to me as the WAB rules.

AGPO:

Top work Psychosis. Interesting to hear what you said about blackpowder too. Is there a Napoleonic system you’d recommend?

Borador:

PsychosisPC
I've seen that eye before ;P

nice painting, the transfers really do the trick, awesome stuff dude!

PsychosisPC:

Well its been a long time, but is an army ever done. I have an update. I finally got around to painting another unit that is replacing the Praetorian unit that I sold.

I still need to do up all of the shields, but its getting there.

Admiral:

I’m now more tempted than ever to start a Roman Empire army in WHFB. Well done!

PsychosisPC:

Yea, I have been also, but be very careful with that thought about possibly using Warlord’s Romans, they are smaller than dwarves and have serious scale issues across the line of Romans.

Admiral:

Yea, I have been also, but be very careful with that thought about possibly using Warlord's Romans, they are smaller than dwarves and have serious scale issues across the line of Romans.

PsychosisPC
That's a shame. Is that true for all the other Warlord stuff (such as Assyrians, WWII French etc.) as well? I guess I'll have to wait for Perry twins' or Victrix Romans. Why haven't the Perry twins released any Romans, by the way? Although Napoleonics seem popular, there must be at least some heavy demand for 28mm Roman legionaires, right?

PsychosisPC:

Warlord’s Assyrian and Greek lines they bought, those were created by Immortal Miniatures, who was bought out by Warlord. Those were all pretty much sculpted by one guy. Warlord since has repackaged them, and I believe the number of minis in the box went down and the price went up. Scale wise they are fine amongst themselves, they are little bit lacking in detail and are kind of spindly in the legs and arms. I’ve heard a number of people complain about the scale on their WW2 minis also being all over the board.

I don’t see the Perry’s doing Romans anytime soon, I could be wrong, I’m guessing that they will continue in the Medieval period, Napoleonics, and Civil War. Victrix’s Greeks are very nice, they are true 28mm, nicely proportioned and good looking miniatures, very crisp detail. I do intend to use those Greeks at some point in the future.

For Romans in plastic, I think you are kind of out of luck, unless you like them small, Warlord is about it for plastic. There are alot of very good metal Roman manufacturers out there. These Warlord are small 25-26 mm, the only way Warlord can possibly say they are 28 mm is if you measure from the very bottom of their thick plastic base the miniature stands on. I do see they are getting their Caesarian Romans ready, maybe they will adjust their scale, maybe not. Do not buy their Auxilliaries plastic box, you will definitely be disappointed with those minis, they look like 7 ft tall giants when along side the Legionaires that I have.

Animatone:

PsychosisPC,

Incredibly cool stuff, and I absolutely love the centurian theme.

Thanks for the post