[Archive] Forge World Open Day report

Vogon:

Ok so I’m back from the Forge World Open Day and the big release was the Primarch Perturabo.

Now obviously this was exciting for a lot of people but for me the most interesting thing was that this was this is the first Primarch model to be completely designed using 3d modelling and printed using rapid prototyping.

Designed by Edgar who was the go to kid for computer design.

I’ll post some pictures and a report tomorrow.

Cheers

Vogon.

Grimstonefire:

Would that be why some of the flat metal areas look a little rough?

Vex:

Saw on BoW. This will be my first Primarch as I adore the Iron Warriors.

Pyro Stick:

This is the only primarch model i have been looking forward to. I see a few were for sale at the open day. Did you happen to see how much he is going to cost? Checked ebay but no way am i going to pay £80+ for it

Vogon:

Pyro,

Perturabo was/is £70 making him the most expensive so far.

I’ll get the report up as soon as I get it finished.

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon:

It�?Ts taken longer than usual but I�?Tve finally got round to writing the Forge World Open Day visit up.  Unfortunately it is almost exclusively Heresy and 40K.  The only model which looked like a fantasy model was a Heresy Nurgle special character by Trish that didn�?Tt have any obvious 40Kness to it.

The only WFB news I got all day is that there will be battle scrolls for all models currently sold and that Trish is looking forward to getting back to sculpting WFB.

As I said in the first post the new Primarch to be released was Perturabo for the Iron Warriors.  While I personally am not that keen especially all the cables and such like around the face I found it fascinating that it has been done entirely on PC and then printed.  I know I didn�?Tt get a photo of the back but this is how the ammo feeds to the wrist mounted guns were created in such an elaborate serpentine form.  This was done in �?oZ Brush�?�
There is an awful lot of detail on there and up close the sculpt looks technically very good.  There is an awful lot of resin in the scenic base as he�?Ts stood on the broken carapace of a knight.  This is probably why it�?Ts also the most expensive Primarch yet at £70.

Sadly Edgar who sculpted it (and a lot of the Chaos Dwarf Range) was not there as he has left Forge World and gone home to France.  Will Hayes who I was chatting to said that he left on good terms and hopes to be back but was missing his family too much.

The other big new thing available on the day was the Kytan Daemon Engine of Khorne which takes a Lord of Skulls Torso and puts it on legs.  

On to the upcoming stuff and Blake Spence was showing off his Mastadon Heavy Assault Transport which is a couple of months away from completion.  

For those interested this was also virtually sculpted (I guess designed might be a better word) in a PC using Solid Works which is also the software that the Warlord Titan was designed with.  Will was saying they�?Td really like to go back and re-do the Warhound and Reaver as by comparison they are under detailed as they were sculpted traditionally.  Unfortunately Tony Cottrell says no as they want to concentrate on new stuff and not updating existing sculpts.  

The Ordinatus Minoris is also nearing completion.  The Vehicle is finished and the crew is underway and should be released around September time.

I had a good old chat with Alan Bligh about what is coming up, the next book due out in the next couple of weeks is a mechanicum army list (red book) including all mechanicum entries so far as well as knights and all titans so far.  
The Ordinatus Minoris will be in and sounds massively powerful but indiscriminate.  The one with the sonic weapon basically uses the large apocalypse template and it starts at the front of the barrel and goes straight forwards until it goes off the edge of the table.  The bigger the target is the harder it hits.  It also has a series of shields which will make it almost impervious on the first turn but they get progressively weaker as the game goes on, an interesting idea lifter from how ordinatus used to work in Epic.

He also mentioned the plan for more titans.  The various classes of warlords listed in Adeptus Titanicus were always meant to represent entirely different titans with their own models.  The plan is to fill in the size gaps between the three available types with entirely new classes, Nemesis was mentioned as one.  

The next book after that will be a book focusing on the shattered legions.  This is giving them a bit of balance issues as they don�?Tt want it to become the go to auto win list where you pick the best of each legion.
The two differing concepts are the ragtag groups of different legions who haven�?Tt seen a resupply ship or orders in years on one end and elite hand picked units with the best materiel to achieve a specific task (think Malcador�?Ts chosen) on the other.
He said this book was going to focus on the forgotten battles which may be small but hugely significant that never made it into the history books.  He likened it to some unknown battles in north Africa during the second world war which were important and no one knows about where everyone knows about D-Day and Dunkirk.
This is where a lot of the legions that haven�?Tt been done yet will get some basic upgrades like shoulderpads etc. but they will not be getting their legion specific units or Primarchs until their books are done.  Apparently the Blood and Dark Angels will share a book and then The Wolves and Thousand Suns will obviously share a Prospero book.  Though the order these books will be done in is not yet set.

As far as the remaining Primarchs that have rules in print but no models I had a chat with Simon Egan asking specifically about Corax.  All he would say is that yes he is working on one at the moment, yes it�?Ts one of the three outstanding ones and no he is not allowed to tell us which.  When pressed he did say that Corax would present particular challenges due to the nature of his armaments, at various points he is described as having lighting claws, a whip, a heavy bolter and all sorts.  He also said that in this one case don�?Tt necessarily be expecting what is seen on the artwork and book covers.  
It will have the flight pack and be in an aggressive/pose.  I can�?Tt remember exactly what it was he said but something he mentioned left me wondering if the pose would be another duel set with Lorgar similar to the Fulgrim/Ferrus Mannus thing.  That is probably just me reading more into the comment than I�?Tm meant to though.
Lord Commander Eidolon for Emperor�?Ts Children and the Raven Guard Mor Deythan Strike Squads are almost complete and should be out soon. As are some Legion Techmarines.

Other stuff and there is a massive new Tau thing that got shown it looked about the size of a knight lancer but considerably more bulky.  Definitely bigger than a Riptide.  Three shoulder mounted railgun type things and two triple linked ion cannons.  No idea of rules.

Other than that I am sad to report I did not win the titan raffle but on the whole it was a good day out.  I enjoyed catching up with Trish whose daughter now works for Forge World as an artist.
The new exhibitions are worth a visit and are absolutely massive in scale.  Thousands of models have been painted and put in place including some forge world stuff that is not on general release yet.  
I also got my first go at Age Of Sigmar which was interesting, some of the mechanics remind me of Epic but I think I�?Td need more than the 10 minutes I had to properly get my head around it.  

Cheers

Vogon

Zuh-Khinie:

As a Tau player… this made me happy (though only a bit, since I will never find it in my heart to hand over the cash for it)

Bitterman:

Thanks for the report. Couple of minor corrections…

I believe it’s Edgar Skomorowski that’s left FW, you initially said it was Simon Egan (you later mentioned talking to Simon anyway). [edit] In fact, I think it’s just that you wrote “Egan” and meant “Edgar”. [/edit]

It’s Blake Spence designing the Mastodon, not Will Hayes… Will is doing the big Tau walker.

Grimstonefire:

Book. Edgar was probably my favourite sculptor Gw/Fw had. :’(

Vogon:

Pictures added.

Bitterman I’ve edited the Edgar/Egan thing

I think you’re probably right though I do get mixed up with names sometimes.

Cheers

Vogon

Doombeard:

Z Brush is awesome its one of the industry standard tools we use in VFX along with Mudbox to create CG characters. It opens up a lot more doors for sculpting in future, like being able to step back and ‘undo’ changes or make multiple variants on the same theme to help look dev something.

gIL^:

Vogon

Vogon

tjub:

Hmm, and what about the ammo for all those guns?

Vex:

£70? sigh well it’s to be expected thanks to that huge chunk of resin as a base.

I’ll be picking up 2 of him. One to have as a display model and the other dismounted from the scenic base to game with. I’ll treat myself to one for christmas :slight_smile:

gIL^:

Hmm, and what about the ammo for all those guns?

tjub
Most likely railguns, the ammo would be microscopic.

Vogon:

Oh yes I just remembered.

They were selling tickets for Golden Daemon ‘Tanks’ at Warhammer World.

It would appear that they are no longer running a big Golden Daemon event but splitting it by category and having separate events at Warhammer World.

This really does sound like the end of Games Day/Warhammer Fest.

Sorry if this is old news.