[Archive] Forge would vs Gw

Breezly:

What about the Mantic version? The bulk of my army comes from them. I have many of my old 3rd edition models, they have the most character. Alas, I sold off my big-hat army back in the day, but I would say this about ranking…

1) Forgeworld War Machines/Characters

2) Mantic Foot Troops (Bull Centaurs are blah, looking forward to what Forgeworld does there)

3) 3rd Edition GW, love the character of the models

4) Forgeworld Troops

5) Big Hats…sorry, I liked them back in the day, but now I feel they are too cartoony, Blasphemy, I know.

–Breezly

zhatan87:

Big hat forever:) FW models are very nice too, especially the crew and character models.

BeeZharr:

I like the Big Hats. I like the Forge World ones. Personally, I would like something in between which would happen if GW (as a whole) made some proper rank and file Chaos Dwarfs.

I think removing the ‘comic relief’ elements from their ranges has been a GW policy for plenty of years now, and as such the overblown aspects of the old Big Hats are gone. Even the greenskins tend to be more serious than comedic these days.

Vogon:

I like the Warhammer Forge vision of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Big hats (without being ridiculous) for the lords only. Rank and file being just that.

The IG are brilliant and really got me enthused about restarting a chaos dwarf army.

The big hats were for me a time and place which while thought of fondly are not where we’re at right now.

Cheers

Vogon

Ghrask Dragh:

I know it’s a bit boring but I love them all!!

Each have their own character, the funnier nature of big hats and marauders and now the more serious FW mini’s. My favourite though have never been made, on the old Chaos Dwarf site there were some amazing sketched of a more egyptian/cathay style Chaos Dwarf - could have been sooo cool with all sorts of monsterous slaves too! Imagine the army of Xerxes in the 300 film - I think the artists username was elfhead?

Speaking of HoH I believe the site pretty much fell apart over this conversation, we’ve obviously moved on abit more :slight_smile:

Taurian:

...on the old Chaos Dwarf site there were some amazing sketched of a more egyptian/cathay style Chaos Dwarf - could have been sooo cool with all sorts of monsterous slaves too! Imagine the army of Xerxes in the 300 film - I think the artists username was elfhead?

Ghrask Dragh
Have any pics? I wouldn't mind seeing what these look like.

Grimstonefire:

I bought 8 plastic big hats about 10 years ago I think. The first and last big hat models I bought. Which shows how much I like them. I’ve spent far too much on the FW models, not perfect but certainly a lot better than the hats imo.

Taurian:

I bought 8 plastic big hats about 10 years ago I think. The first and last big hat models I bought. Which shows how much I like them. I've spent far too much on the FW models, not perfect but certainly a lot better than the hats imo.

Grimstonefire
Hmm, I thought you were a bighat fan. I also bought an 8-pack and a 10-pack of plastic bighats. I don't know how much I paid, but I ended up giving them away for free to my friend's son since he was developing an interest in Warhammer. I don't know if it ever developed or if he even kept at the CDs, though. He seemed more of a fan of orcs.

Piccolo:

I love Big Hats :hat off

aka_mythos:

What actually convinced me to start a CD army was the Hellcannon’s crew. So GW wins there, but I remember back in the day thinking the bighats were lame, then I changed my mind thought they were alright, and then I went back to thinking they were lame when the hellcannon came out.

The forgeworld infantry are an obvious byproduct in the vein of the hellcannon crew and thus come in second place. The Infernal Guard masks and shields really should have had more going on, but the character and crew models really nailed it. Those character models capture the best aspects of the all three eras of Chaos dwarfs.

The 3rd ed. models, are some of the most characterful models, but for me they lack cohesiveness in how they appear as a unit and they have some severe proportion issues, like many minis of that era. Some people love these and the bighat and I can appreciate that, but I’m coming from the perspective of building a modern era CD army. In that vein its my goal to convert my FW Infernal Guard to incorporate some of the colorful aspect of this era of minis.

Abecedar:

3rd edition citadel and marauder and the Bederkin’s and FW and Grenadier and … But the big hats are slowly catching up as the bulk of the 2400 army I’m taking to CanCon today is made up of them.

Kera foehunter:

Everyone looks up to The big hats

Grims everyone have throw 8 plastic Chaos dwarfs lol

i still have one or to also

Borador:

I don’t Kera. You could say that I almost even despise them (haha). Never bought one and never will. I dislike the cartoony-ness and the hats so I’ll stick to 3rd eds :wink:

G.2:

As much as I agree with this statement…

… the FW versions. They’re darker, less cartoony and look more like an evil race.

Coopervisor
I really LOVE the Big Hats, for being cartoony. I believe a little humour in the game of Warhammer does not go astry. I certainly don’t take this game world too seriously, and a lot of that ideology has to do with my introduction into the game back in the 80s, where there was a LOT of humour in the game.

Samanos:

i like the FW (though i wont buy them) they give me the impression that this is what evil dwarfs should look like.

Big huts are also very nice but i prefer the FW :slight_smile:

ChungEssence:

I like the big hats. My first ever white dwarf featured them and I’ve always taken a shine to them and their imagery.

"Everyone looks up to The big hats

"

Damn straight. A Chaos Dwarf in a big hat is as tall as 2 dwarfs standing on top of each other.

New Forgeworld models are quite nice. They’ve grown on me. At first I wasn’t really impressed but they have their own charm.

theforgefather:

I like the occasional tall hat, much like the current FW line.  Tall hats for leaders, masks/helmets for everyone else!

ryanamandaanna
seconded!

JonJon:

Im a big fan of FW 1 deomon engine ,1 dread mortar,43 ironguard,10 fire glaive,3 demonsmiths,

1 Drazhoath 1 command.Spent my budget for minatures for the year,My wife said if I paint all the CDs and Im good Ican buy the bull centaurs when they come out.

Jon

Eddandme:

I like the occasional tall hat, much like the current FW line.  Tall hats for leaders, masks/helmets for everyone else!

ryanamandaanna
seconded!

theforgefather
Indeed, altho i think the tallhats should be for the sorcerers only but then again they are the leaders most of the time ;)

Ghrask Dragh:

...on the old Chaos Dwarf site there were some amazing sketched of a more egyptian/cathay style Chaos Dwarf - could have been sooo cool with all sorts of monsterous slaves too! Imagine the army of Xerxes in the 300 film - I think the artists username was elfhead?

Ghrask

Have any pics? I wouldn't mind seeing what these look like.

Taurian
Been along time looking :) I found them, posting them over in Artwork