[Archive] Forum note on Non GW 'Chaos Dwarf' announcements

Grimstonefire:

Given the changing nature of the market, with more and more ‘evil dwarf’ models coming out that are obviously supposed to appeal to GW Chaos Dwarf fans, the staff have been discussing how we go about moderating these threads.

We’ve decided that product announcements for all non-GW models will be moved to Wargame News and Discussion from now on.  Unless people are just discussing it for converting etc, in which case it will probably go into the Ideas and Advice section.

From a legal standpoint (the dreaded ‘l’ word), we protect ourselves this way from people claiming we are damaging the Chaos Dwarf trademark (presumably this is trademarked) by making it clear what things are Chaos Dwarfs and what things are not.

No doubt the people this is supposed to reach will most likely not actually read this, they’ll come here and start a thread announcing something cool in the wrong place, but for our regular casters with their companies please start it in the right place. :wink:

Cheers.

Edit. I’m also going to do some clearing out of old or redundant stickies.

clam:

Though about doing a dedicated ‘general product news/miniature’ sub section, instead? So much new stuff coming out of interest to us and will make it quite easier for us to find go true - rather than hide it in the unstructured ‘Wargame News and discussion’. Just an idea - that might make it even ‘obvious’ for new posters too.

Grimstonefire:

It depends really.

Most of our usual members are quite active I’d say. Certainly they’d be active enough to see something posted on the first page of the Wargame News and Discussion forum.

In which case it shouldn’t be hard to find things of interest. People can always link to the thread from somewhere else.

We can bear that in mind though, give this a chance and see how it works.

AGPO:

Though about doing a dedicated 'general product news/miniature' sub section, instead? So much new stuff coming out of interest to us and will make it quite easier for us to find go true - rather than hide it in the unstructured 'Wargame News and discussion'. Just an idea - that might make it even 'obvious' for new posters too.

clam
I did think about this. However unless you're searching for something specific, it tends to be easier for threads to disappear in subforums than in main forums. An interesting thread on the first page of the pretty prominent Wargames Discussion section will be more visible than something tucked away in a subforum where only the top thread is visible at a casual glance.

clam:

Fine by me.

I just see it more like a hobby thing, really. We have people like Sjoerd and other sculptors posting in ‘Conversions’ and then have their miniatures released from a professional company. Then we have ‘us’ pluging what we find and lately, we also have companies coming here to plug their stuff. Think it could be nice if we - like some others - had a dedicated sub section for ‘miniatures’ - wether it’s new or it’s old - instead having it spread all over the place. Right now we have them in conversion, Idea and advise, The main chaos dwarf section and now the wargame one - quite hard for new (and old) people to follow.

Main reason for me doing this:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7240 - needs an update - but as no one seems to be using it - well … ! - you know, the list of stuff you should do, but … :smiley:

Grimstonefire:

The way I see this:

Conversion and Ideas and Advice people can say 'I’ve found this mini (that’s already for sale) and it would make a cool X wouldn’t it.'

Chaos Dwarf section is for news about new ‘Chaos Dwarf’ models (which to be honest would be amazing if we had not been discussing it for months in the WF or Rumour sections).

Wargame Discussion is for announcing new products or ones that are going to be for sale.  The Raging Heroes model is a good example of this. So sjoerd’s models would fit in here.  They are not ‘chaos dwarfs’, as that is not what he is selling them as.  Most of his models he does WIP shots anyway so doesn’t need a formal announcement, obviously we could move it if it does become ‘news’.

Baggronor:

Shall I start a fresh blog in there then? Or can you move my current one? Seeing as its morphed from a hobby blog to a miniatures line blog…

AGPO:

It’s been both Bag, I think you’re fine. Besides, your sig banner should point some people in your direction

Da Crusha:

Chaos Dwarf section is for news about new 'Chaos Dwarf' models (which to be honest would be amazing if we had not been discussing it for months in the WF or Rumour sections).

Grimstonefire
hmm, Ive always used the chaos dwarf section to put anything related to "evil dwarfs". wouldn't this pretty much stop the use of the chaos dwarf section, since there really hasn't been any new chaos dwarfs in ...a decade? we are already using the Forge world section for the new forgefantasy cds.

clam:

The way I see this:

Conversion and Ideas and Advice people can say 'I've found this mini (that's already for sale) and it would make a cool X wouldn't it.'

Chaos Dwarf section is for news about new 'Chaos Dwarf' models (which to be honest would be amazing if we had not been discussing it for months in the WF or Rumour sections).

Wargame Discussion is for announcing new products or ones that are going to be for sale.  The Raging Heroes model is a good example of this.  So sjoerd's models would fit in here.  They are not 'chaos dwarfs', as that is not what he is selling them as.  Most of his models he does WIP shots anyway so doesn't need a formal announcement, obviously we could move it if it does become 'news'.

Grimstonefire
Would have like seeing a dedicated sub section - so the non GW miniatures/rules system (with evil dwarf races) were nice and easy to find. As said, right now it's everywhere, mainly in here or the advise/idea section - but also wargame news, blog and conversion section. If we should clean it up, why not do it proper? Worried about you guys waisting you time cleaning up after You guys will get busy cleaning up - cause'us'

And some of Sjoerd's are actually sold as 'Chaos Dwarf' and so are miniatures from Essex - and Grenadier also used 'Chaos Dwarf' - so the term is not restricted to GW. A 'Mininature news and review' section in the hobby forums would do the trick if you ask me.

And would help guys like me browsing the forums with out going trough all the fluff bunny stuff in the main sections :D

And where do you want us to discuss CDO in general, now? People used to start threads about how they promote the site/race, what we would like for GH/AS, fan made artwork etc - all stuff not specific GW related. Can it still go in here?

Grimstonefire:

We’re not saying the only ‘CD’ discussion that can go in that section are about GW chaos Dwarfs.  All that sort of discussion can go in the main CD discussion as always, this is only new product news that needs to be moved. ;)  So it’s quite easy to understand and apply.  We’re not so keen on moderating that we’ll spend hours sifting out all non GW references!

If in doubt just start it in the CD discussion as normal and the staff will move it if needed.

The legality behind whether a company other than GW should be selling minis as ‘Chaos Dwarfs’ is probably another discussion.

timurbannipal:

Wanted to make the community aware about a Chinese site that sells FW minis which I suspect are…ahem…‘re-imaginings’. Is this something we can discuss without getting the site in trouble? Thought I’d check first…

cornixt:

We won’t allow links to illegal commercial recasts.

timurbannipal:

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Xander:

Moving this to CDO Info.