[Archive] Foundation paints that aren't GW

cornixt:

Are there any good Foundation-style paints that aren’t made by GW? My local store doesn’t sell the GW ones but has a range of other paints. I’d really like to do just one coat on my legions of plastic converted BFSP HGs rather than basecoating (don’t have anywhere to spray either).

I think I’ll go for a lightish brown, almost the classic GW colour scheme for hobgobs, so they don’t look immediately like Night Goblins.

Dracomancer:

Hmm, don’t know of any, however you could check with your local GW if they have any light brown spray lying around in the back (iirc, they used to do a whole load of different colours as spray paint, rather than just the black and white they sell now…).

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Vallejo model and game colours are quite like foundation paints. They are super opaque, cheaper than GW colours, and have a cult reputation among modellers and gamers alike. I have some here and I am quite fond of them. :slight_smile:

Dracomancer:

Vallejo model and game colours are quite like foundation paints. They are super opaque, cheaper than GW colours, and have a cult reputation among modellers and gamers alike. I have some here and I am quite fond of them. :)

Ishkur Cinderhat
And I just ordered some :P

wallacer:

Yep, I use Vallejo, and apart from the annoying squirty bottle they are excellent.

catbarf:

If you want to speed up the painting time, try dipping.

Dracomancer:

Yep, I use Vallejo, and apart from the annoying squirty bottle they are excellent.

wallacer
I actually like the bottles, it means its easier to measure out paint and stuff, very handy :)...

Kobarf:

I must second the vallejo paints, the model colours have some great natural tones . They have a good coverage though not as great as the foundation paints I guess (haven’t got any). Sometimes you’ll have to use a few layers. The bottles do make for better dosage and once you get used to it you don’t want to use anything else :P. Don’t get their metallics though, they are to shiny and flakey. I also recommend their inks :wink:

Kobarf