[Archive] Full BFSP conversion possible?

GWvsJohn:

Let me set the scene :slight_smile:

I’ve played 40k since 2nd edition came out (ie over 15 years) and despite this I have barely painted any models and am still very bad at it, a novice. Conversions and green stuff? Lol, hardly any, totally green.

With all that out in the open, I want to convert a Chaos Dwarf army. My buddy and I have decided to start fantasy and we are committed to fully painted armies. The only fantasy army that really appeals to me is the Chaos Dwarfs, so I would really like to play them. Oh, I also want to do all of this relatively cheaply.

It seems like there are a lot of BFSP conversions out there, so I was wondering if some kind soul could help me figure out a way to convert the vast majority of the BFSP miniatures into Chaos Dwarfs in a manner that a green converter/sculptor and a novice painter can do without too much trouble.

Thanks guys, this is a kickass forum and I will be frequenting it for a while :slight_smile:

Gar Shadowfame:

Easiest way is to paint them to look evil, u might want to swap weapons for more chaos looking ones, and/or scratch all dwarf marks runes and symbols. this is by far easiest way to provide beginner with fieldable army. Also it is good idea to paint nightgoblins in different colours to make them into hobgoblins.

GWvsJohn:

I’m open to trying to conversion, even green-stuffing and the like, just a little wary :slight_smile:

Gar Shadowfame:

Then follow Xanders guide, its on youtube as well as here. All my conversions are based on his work, kind of BFSP guru :stuck_out_tongue:

GWvsJohn:

I saw those, how do-able are they for a very novice converter?

Gar Shadowfame:

Hmm, the easiest way is to adopt only part of the process, like only to scratch the beard and add greenstuff one. But the best way is to try and convert one.

Warhammerman:

Have you ever thought of doing an entire army of chaos dwarfs using LoTR plastics. You could use LoTR Uruk Hai, mordor orcs, or even goblins to represent hobgoblins.

And the warriors comes with 24 dwarfs at around 27 dollars I think. There armor is already kind of like a dragon scale and if painted right could look very chaosy. The scale against warhammer might be off a little though, but it’d be good since you aren’t really positive on your converting skills.

Or an alternative would just be buy a BFSP set and a dwarf battalion. That should give you somewhere around 2,000 points if you use it to it’s maximum efficiency.

Thorne:

Or alternatively you can buy 50 hard plastic dwarves from EM4 minitures for the small price of £7.50. They have the options of spears axes and crossbow which will bring you up the force quite rapidly with a few minor additions. Also at this price you can practice your miliput and green stuff skills and if you make a mess and ruin the models you can always try again. You can also see that I havent used the battle for skull pass models in my army mainly EM4 and other companies models as a basis for my models. Infact I used 40k gretchin as a base for my blunderbusses Thornes Chaos dwarves which didnt take much effort or skill and thats using miliput. Gretchin from one of the last versions of the 40k game are quite common place on ebay and will not fetch much but a little work ‘can’ dependant upon whom is looking at them make beliveable comprable models. On the thougth of using lord of the rings model’s I belive the dwarven armoured models wouldnt make good chaos dwarves as they are too americanised proportions thin and not scale wise But that said the dwarven rangers would make excelent hobgoblins.

cornixt:

My converted CDs have little more than a full-face helmet and a dark colour scheme to make them look different from regular dwarfs. Putting a thin layer of greenstuff over the face is really easy, even a hamfisted person can do it. Then cut eye holes with a razor blade or scapel, and it is done.

GWvsJohn:

My converted CDs have little more than a full-face helmet and a dark colour scheme to make them look different from regular dwarfs. Putting a thin layer of greenstuff over the face is really easy, even a hamfisted person can do it. Then cut eye holes with a razor blade or scapel, and it is done.

cornixt
any pics of this? I think I (or more likely, my very artistic wife) can handle some flat masks.

Anyone have ideas on making easy blunderbussers?

cornixt:

Two birds, one stone:

[[Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss Conversions]]

GWvsJohn:

Two birds, one stone:
[[Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss Conversions]]

cornixt
very nice. Any shots of your warriors?

cornixt:

Not any good ones. My cameras not been behaving so the best I have is in this thread:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5881

Can’t really make out the masks very well, so they look a lot like units of ordinary dwarfs in the photos.