[Archive] Fun with Hobgoblins

Thommy H:

As a result of some of the discussion in this thread, I’ve put together a working list for the Hobgoblin hordes of the Eastern Steppes.

It’s not a full Armies book, just the equivalent of one of those “get you by” White Dwarf jobs - and like those, it’s presented in two parts, the Bestiary and the actual Army List.

Enjoy!

Baggronor:

Awesomeness. I assume the Khazig are a take on the Kheshig, the Mongol royal guard? Nice touch.

I love the ‘Gits’ rule :cheers

Thommy H:

I assume the Khazig are a take on the Kheshig, the Mongol royal guard?

Baggronor
Correct. They're also the only (to my knowledge) Fast Cavalry in the game with a 3+ armour save. This might be horribly broken, but one of the things I was going for with this was to make it possible to have an entire army of Fast Cavalry without just taking the same Core unit over and over.

Bolg:

Love the list! wish I had the models to play it once in a friendly battle (:

Nicodemus:

Oh snap!! Dirty pool… Royal guard were in my list too!! Nuts. Fair game, just like patents I guess, if it’s a good idea and you get there first it’s your :wink: Still… nuts!!

RTMaitreya:

Yeah, Thommy, very nice job for a quick fix. I haven’t finished my black and white version yet, and you’re already up and done. If you send me your doc file, I’ll keep your formatting and writeup and consolidate material with the rest of the folks to grow this into a full army list. I want to have a nice full set of rules for people to grow this out in the way each person wants. . . there’s a lot of variety in people’s opinions of what a “proper” hobgoblin list looks like, and I’d like to figure out a clever way to make it all work.

GREAT names, by the way, I was also trolling through Mongol and Turkish history for names. Great job.

Thommy H:

Oh snap!! Dirty pool... Royal guard were in my list too!! Nuts. Fair game, just like patents I guess, if it's a good idea and you get there first it's your ;)   Still... nuts!!

Nicodemus
I haven't "patented" anything - I certainly wouldn't lay claim to the idea of elite Wolf Riders, since it's kind of an obvious idea in an army full of Wolf Riders!
I haven't finished my black and white version yet, and you're already up and done.

RTMaitreya
Well I have the advantage of already having a full Armies book to crib formatting from. Once you have the stat blocks sorted out, it's pretty easy to get everything looking right. I literally just copy and pasted stuff from the Chaos Dwarf list and changed the words and numbers. Simple.

Soooo...with that in mind (and here's where it gets a little bit awkward), while I'm happy for you to use whatever ideas of mine you want for your project, I'm going to have to keep the actual document, my prose and design work to myself. If I was involved in putting together this book you want to do, I'd happily contribute any stuff I could, but since I don't have the time for a collaborative project at the moment, I'll have to remain a source of ideas only.

I don't mind uploading a Word document with the table formatting for the unit entries though. It's more complex than you might think.

nilbog:

Good work again Tommy! I’m looking forward to using my bolt throwers again (even if they can’t hit a barn door at 10 paces) and I knew I kept that wolf chariot for something…

Some sort of tyranid for the sandwyrms? Are there any decent sized ones for monstrous cavalry?

I’ve had a read of the bestiary section and there’s a couple of things if you don’t mind me pointing them out:

Hobgoblin shamans, page 4, sentence…‘The frequency with which they fail in this latter ask…’, should that be ‘task’? I know sports commentators use this ‘big ask’ phrase constantly but it reads like a typo in this case.

Oglah Khan, page 10, under Pelt of the Wulfang, it is described as a ‘wolf tail talisman’. Just thought i’d point out that a ‘wolf tail talisman’ is an item of wargear for space wolves…don’t want you getting in bother!

Looking forward to giving it a go!

Thommy H:

Raveners for Sandwyrms, I think. Since the Trygon/Mawloc is supposed to be the Gargantuan Sandwyrm, and they’re just smaller versions of that.

Yes, it should be “task”. And I know its a Space Wolves item, yeah, but I don’t think GW legal will kick up much fuss about that

If you do try it out, be sure to let me know how it works! It should certainly be easier to ensure balance with this than my Chaos Dwarfs book.

Baggronor:

I don't mind uploading a Word document with the table formatting for the unit entries though. It's more complex than you might think.
I would be eager to steal this for my own purposes. I hate Word and Word hates me.

Thommy H:

There you go.

Forgot this too:

I love the ‘Gits’ rule

Baggronor
So do I, and I like how it interacts with Treachery. I think it’s a good balancing tool too, because Fast Cavalry is so awesome, and this is one of the few armies that lets you get it without any real effort - even the characters get it almost automatically - and that can make for an army that just ignores a lot of the fundamental rules of Warhammer. But if you want to use Feigned Flight, which is one Fast Cavalry’s coolest little tricks, you’re going to have to accept that your units are going to start getting a bit difficult, and might even stop being on your side in anything but a technical sense altogether!

I’ve also edited the first post with some very slight updates. I’ve given Oglah Khan’s Wolf Boyz +1 BS and cleaned up a bit of ambiguity in the Treachery rule.