[Archive] Funny detail in Monstrous Arcanum

ryanamandaanna:

So, I got the book on Monday and just finished reading the fluff last night, and I was surprised that the major story in the game involved… fishmen. Although there are no rules for these things in the book, they played a major part in the story towards the end. They don’t even come in until the last page of the fluff, but everyone was terrified of them. They were described as slimy, scaly troll-like creatures with shark teeth, and there’s even an illustration of them. They didn’t come straight out and call them fishmen (they had some other name), but from the description and the way they showed up, that’s clearly what they were.

I don’t know if this was just a humorous nod to all of the fishmen rumors that crop up every now and then or if they actually plan to do something with it. The fact that they did not include rules for them makes me lean towards the former. Did anyone else notice?

MLP:

I don’t have the book, but it’s a great little addition. Nice opportunity to convert some fishmen maybe from river trolls and/or kroxigor.

fonejaker:

What be the name of these fishmen? they valent further research.

ryanamandaanna:

Just went and got my book from home-- Shugon. Here’s the description:

"They came up from the darkness of the cavern, wet and pale. First one, then a dozen, then a score. Hulking, corpse-pale bulks, scaled and distended, wide mouths filled with shark teeth yawning like crescent moons, eyes silver-white and blind, long ape-like arms juddering and grasping their way up from the dark. They were a childhood nightmare come to life, a legend long known but never till this day I had seen, the Shugon-- the ravagers, the Trolls of the sea depths."

Did a simple google search and didn’t come up with anything (other than a bag company)

Here’s the illustration:

fonejaker:

They seem to be SEA TROLLS :smiley:

Skink:

I agree with fonejaker. I’d be extremely excited to see some fishmen coming out for Warhammer Fantsy (back in the days I used to play as a Sahuagin in D&D), and there actually are some bits of fluff regarding them especially in the Lizardmen army book, but these Shugon really are described like Trolls (and they look like them as well)…

ryanamandaanna:

well… it was worth a try. :wink:

nilbog:

Given that forgeworld struggle to spell the names of monsters correctly, shugon isn’t too far from sahuagin…

Churchill7:

Well there WAS a passage in tamurkhan talking about how there were gigantic underground oceans with horrifying creatures and stuff, maybe theyre building up to an underground ocean book?

Thommy H:

“All models without the Sea Creature special rule must take a Toughness test with a -3 modifier or be removed as a casualty. In the second turn of the game this penalty is increased to -4, then -5 in the next turn and so on.”

brotsorrow:

Brilliant of Forge World to whet our appetites with a new race. Maybe they will trickle out this new race like they are their CD line…

GRNDL:

Re: fishmen in Lizardman army book

Well, the reference is more to do with aquatic lizards than fish, so a lizardman player could theme their army as the denizens of Chupayotl using aquatic capable units and the appropriate spawning/blessing. Still, it is close and a lot of peeps have tried to make do with it as Fishmen, like Kyte. (myself included, with my Cthulhu slann magepriest)

re: Shugon

Aside from the name similarities to Sahaugin, these just seem to be more extreme versions of River Trolls IMHO. I’m not sure I’d take it as connection to Fishmen, but I would like to believe so. Cthulhu and similar things are very popular these days, so I think its only a matter of time. Either that, or they’re waiting for Marvel to revolutionize Aquaman in a new movie before they release an underwater related army… Heh. (Though, in that case, it would probably be sea elves?)

brotsorrow:

re: Shugon

Aside from the name similarities to Sahaugin, these just seem to be more extreme versions of River Trolls IMHO. I'm not sure I'd take it as connection to Fishmen, but I would like to believe so. Cthulhu and similar things are very popular these days, so I think its only a matter of time. Either that, or they're waiting for Marvel to revolutionize Aquaman in a new movie before they release an underwater related army... Heh. (Though, in that case, it would probably be sea elves?)

GRNDL
You're probably right with the Shugon being trolls, but the door is always open for forge world to make some models/dollars.
As for Aquaman, Im curious if he's casted in the planned Justice League movie (DC comics)......

zobo1942:

...myself included, with my Cthulhu slann magepriest)

GRNDL
Is there a picture of this anywhere? I would LOVE to have a look at it!

GRNDL:

...myself included, with my Cthulhu slann magepriest)

GRNDL
Is there a picture of this anywhere? I would LOVE to have a look at it!

zobo1942
Yeah, sure. I never got around to painting it, so this is it when it was just finished being sculpted.

There are some pics in this thread:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3697

ryanamandaanna:

So, I got the book on Monday and just finished reading the fluff last night, and I was surprised that the major story in the game involved… fishmen. Although there are no rules for these things in the book, they played a major part in the story towards the end. They don’t even come in until the last page of the fluff, but everyone was terrified of them. They were described as slimy, scaly troll-like creatures with shark teeth, and there’s even an illustration of them. They didn’t come straight out and call them fishmen (they had some other name), but from the description and the way they showed up, that’s clearly what they were.

I don’t know if this was just a humorous nod to all of the fishmen rumors that crop up every now and then or if they actually plan to do something with it. The fact that they did not include rules for them makes me lean towards the former. Did anyone else notice?

MLP:

I don’t have the book, but it’s a great little addition. Nice opportunity to convert some fishmen maybe from river trolls and/or kroxigor.

fonejaker:

What be the name of these fishmen? they valent further research.

ryanamandaanna:

Just went and got my book from home-- Shugon. Here’s the description:

"They came up from the darkness of the cavern, wet and pale. First one, then a dozen, then a score. Hulking, corpse-pale bulks, scaled and distended, wide mouths filled with shark teeth yawning like crescent moons, eyes silver-white and blind, long ape-like arms juddering and grasping their way up from the dark. They were a childhood nightmare come to life, a legend long known but never till this day I had seen, the Shugon-- the ravagers, the Trolls of the sea depths."

Did a simple google search and didn’t come up with anything (other than a bag company)

Here’s the illustration:

fonejaker:

They seem to be SEA TROLLS :smiley: