[Archive] FW Chaos Dwarfs/Hobgoblins?

Satan:

I mean, could somebody reach out to them for clarification?

Ugly Green Trog:

I meant that it doesn't say they'll do Hobgoblins specifically.

Satan
Well last time I spoke to a member of the WF team at games day last year they categorically said that they were NOT going to make hobgoblins because WF horde infantry would be cost prohibitive for buyers that it probably wouldn't be worth it ( although if GW keeps the price rises up IG are gonna be cheaper than plastic elite infantry very soon). I think it was Edgar stromorwoski(sp) that I spoke to and he did say that if they ever did it would probably be a small conversion kit and possibly some riders for the GW plastic wolves.

Ugly Green Trog
They also said they were NOT going to do the Horus Heresy at a seminar at Games Day a few years back, and what do you know, we have Heresy books and models. *shrug*

zetaplus
Yeah but they also said that GW have said no more Chaos Dwarfs so its tough to tell.

Grimstonefire:

The last I heard, FW were told not to release any more CD models other than those already started (including the destroyer at that time as I don’t think it had been started then).  The reason was to focus on Storm of Magic creatures, which doesn’t seem to be a focus any more.

So who knows.  Personally I doubt they will unless we convince them we’re willing to pay.  Which I don’t think will be easy given the alternatives.

They’d be better off releasing models for Ironsworn and improving the rules a bit.

That would be achievable given they could do it in 2 models and use IG arms.

14feet:

I wonder how much it would cost to convince FW to make us a few minis as a side project (something like the destroyer mini that is being worked on during down time). Maybe even just a limited release for the fans. If we were able to raise enough $ or interest it might be enough to get us what we want (cash is king at GW and the FW people seem passionate about expanding the hobby).

Just think about it. Why would FW release CD in the first place? It’s because the people here on this website and elsewhere have been pushing for CD since they were first dropped by GW. It’s the loyal fans that have kept CD alive and I’m sure some credit is partially due to this site that FW chose to release the CD range. It’s just not profitable for them to focus on a small portion of their market (space marines being the most popular i.e. why there are so many SM minis being released)

FW is small enough that we may be able to convince/work with them to release a few more minis.

For the glory of Hashut let’s at least try.

Satan:

Here’s what they posted today in direct response to the question regarding Hobgoblins:

We haven’t worked out a good way of doing them yet. But it’s something we’re looking at

Forgeworld

Zuh-Khinie:

I heard FW is discontinuing their WF line in favour of the Horus Heresy, and they’ll only release what they have left (like the dwarf command etc.).

There’s no timing as to when they’ll pick up the thread again.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been told in my local store but, judging by their output recently, I think there’s some truth there.

zetaplus:

I heard FW is discontinuing their WF line in favour of the Horus Heresy, and they'll only release what they have left (like the dwarf command etc.).

There's no timing as to when they'll pick up the thread again.

Anyway, that's what I've been told in my local store but, judging by their output recently, I think there's some truth there.

Zuh-Khinie
They're already working on their next WF book dude, they won't drop fantasy.

Zuh-Khinie:

Yes, the battle for Blackfire Pass book, which they already announced two years ago, showing the models (some of which already got released) to go with it… it’s not new, it’s an unfinished product, much like the destroyer which they’ll also still release.

I hope I’ve been wrongly informed though, I’d like to see more fantasy and less power armour…

Vogon:

The Horus Heresy is currently taking most of their resources to the point all other projects are being pushed back. They �?ohope�?� to have Blackfire Pass ready for Games Day UK this year.

They have said repeatedly that Warhammer Forge will continue to be part of their business model and will they continue to release models and books. They have also said that there is nothing planned after the Blackfire Pass book so I don�?Tt know how that reflects on their business model but it seems that the Horus Heresy will remain king for some time yet.

At last Games Day UK I spent quite a bit of time chatting with Steve Whitehead and according to him there are no plans to do any hobgoblins (at that time at least) and that once the Destroyer is done that will be the end of the Chaos Dwarf Releases for the foreseeable future as there are many other races they want to work on. However the destroyer has been such a long time in coming and is a labour of love for Steve as he is doing it in his own time without and concept artwork to go from that I�?Tm not going to hold my breath anymore and intend on (finally) converting one of my own.

Now obviously this is information several months old but so the plans may have changed but the last couple of months�?T worth of releases have all been Heresy and I for one don�?Tt see that changing any time soon.

Cheers

Vogon

Ugly Green Trog:

I find Warhammer Forge to be incredibly frustrating, of course Forgeworld sells better even with the Heresy discounted the Forgeworld lines represent many of the races in some way or another, WF represents Chaos and Empire and that’s about it. I feel like they aren’t giving it the chance to succeed at the moment. The problem seems to be that warhammer forge have a very talented bunch of sculptors that seem to be dedicated fantasy sculptors, however they share a book production team with the Heresy and Imperial Armour. Alan Bligh seems to be the sole fluff writer in the majority of cases. The Heresy must be paying for itself at the moment so I can’t believe they are unable to find some other writers to work on the fantasy line simultaneously.

Grimstonefire:

I have a feeling that the overwhelming negative fan response about the destroyer will have had an impact on Steve.  I suspect he will have reworked it a great deal by the time it’s eventually out, meaning quite a delay.

They should just hire some of the Black Library people to write the WF books.