[Archive] Game Board to represent!

Vexxus:

As I said in a previous post, I hope to be set up and ready to get back ino the hobby in the next few months. One project I am seriously considering is a large sized game board, with tons of detail and character, hopefully for use in next year’s Games Day (Toronto).

I have a ton of ideas already, and the lay of the land will definitely be similar in theme to the Chaos Dwarf Molten Stronghold.

That being said, I wanted to open the forum to suggestions, tips, requests, and other comments before I begin even the mapping/planning stages.

I would love to hear ideas for such as specific terrain features, war remnants on the battlefield, area of the warhammer world to bring to life etc. Of course, terrain making secrets and tips for great materials for terrain making are always welcome.

I cannot promise anything, save that I will read everything that is posted here and take it into consideration. There were a lot of fan-produced game boards at the Toronto show this year which weren’t exactly ‘pro’ but I want to put together something for the whole community to be proud of, and definitely escalate the quality and detail, versus my previous (rushed) stronghold project.

Thanks in advance for all comments!

Vex

GRNDL:

Obviously it should be a diorama of many legions of Chaos Dwarves laying siege to the GW offices.

Kera foehunter:

so are you going need help with some figures since it a big table

Xander:

Here’s a good reference:

Some sort of mining operation would be cool.

Vexxus:

Some sort of mining operation would be cool.

Xander
Have seen the map, was hoping some guru of lore might have a specific location on the map with character to try and dream into existence.. just not the stump.

Grimstonefire:

Lol.  Vexus asks for ideas on locations and Xander shows most of the old world…

My advice is to stick to what is the most effective in terms of what you can make.

What to suggest depends on how ambitious you are…  If I can suggest things like half a city it would change things a little.

A great one I always thought would be a battlefield themed around a fortified bridge.  There would be a dammed up river at one end with logs, so most of the river bed is dry and can be crossed.  Along both sides of the river would be ruined buildings.

Another idea is one based on the earthworks built around a besieged city.  There would be a wall running along the long edge on one side (right against it, it would not be a siege board), with several broken sections.  The rest of the board would be covered in earth hills etc.

Another idea would be inside a dwarf (or chaos dwarf) hold.  This would be my preference.

Xander:

I think Vexxus is willing to be as ambitious as possible.

Vex, if you want to read about the locations in the Dark Lands, here is a good place to start:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dark_Lands

wallacer:

I’d make a gameboard that looks like a toxic waste dump, just so people know what CD are all about :wink:

Vexxus:

Lol.  Vexus asks for ideas on locations and Xander shows most of the old world...

Grimstonefire
Exactly.. I sat here and said to myself.. UHMMMM.
My advice is to stick to what is the most effective in terms of what you can make.

Grimstonefire
...and I would do ANYTHING for love, but I won't do that, no I won't do that.
What to suggest depends on how ambitious you are...  If I can suggest things like half a city it would change things a little.

Grimstonefire
Very ambitious. Look at how much time I have given myself!
That being said, I want a playable board not a cityscape which is too difficult to navigate, too cluttered, etc
A great one I always thought would be a battlefield themed around a fortified bridge.  There would be a dammed up river at one end with logs, so most of the river bed is dry and can be crossed.  Along both sides of the river would be ruined buildings.

Grimstonefire
Love the dammed up river part, except I would dam it with rocks not wood, and the river would be lava, with some oozing out the rock dam. Very very cool idea (stolen!)
Another idea is one based on the earthworks built around a besieged city.  There would be a wall running along the long edge on one side (right against it, it would not be a siege board), with several broken sections.  The rest of the board would be covered in earth hills etc.

Grimstonefire
As above, I want more terrain less man made structure/clutter. I should have been more specific about that, oops. Cool idea however, I hope someone executes it some day.
Another idea would be inside a dwarf (or chaos dwarf) hold.  This would be my preference.

Grimstonefire
This is a cool idea and has tons of possibilities even as a game board. However, this project will be outdoors since many of my ideas are already planned for such.

Thanks for all the input! Very Much appreciated!