[Archive] Game table

ChaosStunty:

I was making a games table and I wanted to texture it with sand, so I glue some sand down with watered down wood glue, but I don’t think that it will still be textured after I paint it. I put down another layer of sand, but does anyone know how to get it textured? Sorry for the runalong sentences:P

Dracomancer:

Textured paint works well, just look in your nearest hardware store for some, slop it on with a big-ass brush, and when its dried, just drybrush over it like sand, add static grass etc and done :)!

torn:

yeah you can eve get thats flecked stuff in a spray can, spray it on then paint it when its dry.

Khan!:

Also if you paint over the sand after it is glued down with heavily diluted white glue it seals everything in, like a varnish. Then just drybrush and it will be all good!

Traitor King:

When I made mine, I got the paint I needed (some green paint from B&Q) and just mixed in some sand, making quick and effective textured paint. Then I just painted the board with this.

Hammerhand:

GW’s ‘How To Make Wargames Terrain’ book has an awesome section on texturing games tables. There is also advice in the ‘Warhammer General’s Compendium’.

Traitor King:

I didnt find the book that usful (for making boards), it requires a huge amount of sand and PVA glue, wheras the method I used was quick and simple and didnt realy require much matterials.

Note that the book is otherwise a good buy.