[Archive] Gargolock's Darkwald Patrol with even less of a budget

Gargolock:

Stolen letter found on corpse of a courier on the streets of Hergig, the courier had a large pouch of gold and was running to the palace. Our spies upon scribing it returned it into the pocket of the dead courier as to not raise as much suspicion.

2493, 27th of Vorgeheim

Aldebrand,

I am charmed by your offer but my work keeps me occupied, a general in Reikland has offered a pretty penny for me to make him a new toy. He is paying handsomely as all Reiklanders do.
Your offer would take away the time I would spend making his weapon.
In order for me to go through with your offer you would need to pay me more then the Reiklander because I would not be able to complete his contract, and I would be risking my valuable life.
Your offer is a little quaint for a man of my skill, if you feel like you still want me to partake in your escapade then you might need to increase your budget.
If you wish to discuss finance please come see me in my shop, I hate righting profit on paper. Too many eyes might see.

I am Interested with that list of generals you told me, I am interested to work with Gottfied primarily. You seem frantic to find leaders Aldebrand. But do you have soldiers for them to lead?

Also may I ask why you are letting that criminal provide magical support to your armies? Frankly the main reason I am considering your option is so that I can find proof of Feldrant�?Ts crimes.

Sincerely,

Godwine Mueldorfer, Master of the Hergig Gunnery Shop.

Hello, It�?Ts me again. Things have taken longer then expected, But I still have a few things to show.  

Aldebrand Ludenhof, Count Of Hochland

I got the plastic empire general kit on June 16th. I spent hours painting both the models and kept returning back to them. I tried Non Metallic Metal on both of them for certain parts. On some parts I painted a Metallic base coat then did non metallic highlights. On other parts it was pure NMM. Some parts just had metallic paints. For a first try it went pretty well. Not perfect but it was my first try and I expected far worse results.

Captain Katsbulger

Captain Katsbulger is a minor character described in Uniforms and Heraldries of the Empire. He commands the Katsbulger Patrol and has duelled a Minotaur.
He is also from from the Empire General Kit.

Frank Feldrant

A custom character made by me, he is a rumoured cannibal. He is a Grey Wizard scholar from the Hergig College of Magic. Many a Witch Hunter and even once a Grandmaster have investigated and called out Frank�?Ts alleged crimes. All of them either couldn�?Tt find anything, mysteriously lost interest or disappeared. One even became brain dead in the case of one of the Witch Hunters.
He might be innocent might not be, all that matters is he is a skilled master of shadows and deception, which might be the reason why no one has found anything.
He is the 4th edition mounted Grey Wizard Model, he was cheap. I did need to strip the older primer off him because of how thick it was. There was 2 other mounted 4th edition wizards in my local shop. I might get them. They might be gone soon and I don�?Tt need them so I might not, but they would be nice to have and were still cheap. This model I have been seeing in the back of my hobby shop for 1 whole year before I picked him up, but that might be because he had really thick primer. These other guys were bare metal and plastic.

Godwine Mueldorfer

Another custom character made by me, Godwine is very old and rich. He titles himself as a Genius, Veteran, Innovator, Businessman, Artisan, Merchant, Role Model, Celebrity, Scholar, Philanthropist, Teacher and Expert.
He made his money and fame off of making guns. He is an Artisanal Custom Gunsmith, meaning he isn�?Tt managing a mass producing Handgun factory like in Nuln, but instead he is building premium and experimental weapons for the wealthy and elite generals inside the Empire. He still knows his way around a cannon and a handgun, but he is most efficient when given a Hochland Longrifle or a Repeater Handgun. He has an Altdorf and Nuln engineering education and has taught in Altdorf as a teacher for a few years of his life. He was born in Hochland however and remains as a prominent business owner in Hergig. He works mostly alone but has employees across the empire to acquire commissions and has a few apprentices who work with him in Hergig. He also has a dwarf Engineer who he met as the Dwarfs helped replace his wooden shop with a stone one. His Dwarven friend has taught him about all sorts of Dwarf Technologies, many of which Godwine knew already but Godwine still respects the Dwarf for his craftsmanship.

To end,
Here is a letter that we believe Aldebrand was sending in response to the first one

Godwine Mueldorfer,

It is a shame of what happened to your courier, ever since we marched a regiment to join Katsbulger in Schippel the streets have had less watch.
I want to say I am interested in speaking to you, The Province has money to give and your skill is heavily sought after. However I will state you were a state soldier at one point. This is not hiring a mercenary but more a call to arms. I will find you a wage you can be more glad to see but you are being requested to come out of retirement and fight. It�?Ts less of am easy decision then you seem to think it is, You don�?Tt want to say no to a superior officer do you? That kind of thing will be public, no matter where you look you will see people talking about your lack of patriotism. That can�?Tt be good for business can it?

On a side note, please don�?Tt refer to Frank as just Feldrant. I have penned a letter requesting aid from Dustarr and his order. You will probably end up working with more then one Feldrant and you�?Tll need clear communication between the two.
As to address your query, he is skilled and wanted to fight. He is the only wizard I found so far that is keen.

And I will say, I have plenty of Soldiers on their way to Schippel. We do have armies, Godwine.

Signed,

Aldebrand Ludenhof, Count of Hochland, Baron of Hergig.

Gargolock:

Reserved space for me. Good job me

Gargolock
Same thing with this space.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock
I planned out my purchases, I know I will need this space too.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock
This one will be a fun one eventually if all goes to plan.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock

Gargolock
This was supposed to be the last one but I will add one more just in case. If I end up not needing it then it will be a lore conclusion.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock

Gargolock
This was supposed to be the last one but I will add one more just in case. If I end up not needing it then it will be a lore conclusion.

Gargolock
Done, that is all the spaces reserved for the blog. Now time to paint. To fill the spaces.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock

Gargolock

Gargolock
Done, that is all the spaces reserved for the blog. Now time to paint. To fill the spaces.

Gargolock
Actually looking through my plans I should add one more.

Gargolock:

Gargolock

Gargolock
And this one.

Gargolock
This is still reserved

Gargolock

Gargolock
Almost done

Gargolock
3rd last one

Gargolock

Gargolock

Gargolock

Gargolock
Actually looking through my plans I should add one more.

Gargolock
Forgot about the hounds. Reserved still, this is all my reserved spaces. Certain. It will all fit on top of any replies. Feels good to plan a little bit.

Uther the unhinged:

Go go Gargolock. That is a scary amount of space saved. I look forward to seeing the army you create for your Dawi Zharr to battle.

tjub:

Go go Gargolock. That is a scary amount of space saved. I look forward to seeing the army you create for your Dawi Zharr to battle.

Uther the unhinged
Haha, indeed... Ambition! :cheers

Gargolock:

New Post Above, doing this so that it appears as a new post. Exciting new Characters painted up. Tried Improving my Photography, How’d I do?

Admiral:

Rather nice colourwork and highlights! Neat, keep at it. :hat off

Gargolock:

Saturday, July 13th, 2019

Hi, my last army blog started with introductions. Gonna start this one of with a bit of a fan lore section,

- Intercepted letter between between Hergig and Krudenwald on the topic of the chaos dwarf military advancements-

2493, 21st of Sommerzeit

It�?Ts has nearly been a decade since I heard the news.

That night when their slave pits of that dreaded tower rumbled from the beating of hammers.

That night when a horn was blown to unleash wrath called forth in the name of their dark and twisted god.

Since that night, we have lived in fear of the eastern force in the dark lands. We have heard of what happened to those who opposed them, Sylvannia is in ruins, Archaon is cowering in the north and Naggarond is nearly thawed from the fiery wrath Ghorth laid upon them. This is a cruel world of war, everything�?Ts a threat, but that army is abnormally threatening to the Empire.

We have hoped they won�?Tt attack the empire, hoped that if they did Emperor Franz could withstand them. However I fear even our great emperor does not stand a chance against this terror.

I have heard fables of a new power in the south, a dark and ancient power of undead. One of legends, the great necromancer Nagash has apparently been raised. With his revival I have heard the foul tomb kings ride forth to war out of their cursed lands. With these new armies on the map I fear even more for our empire.

I know our history as well as any other might, I have heard of what a foe Nagash proved even to great Sigmar, I know of haunting tales of the Nehekharan dead. I know the Empire has always thrived on the defence, but we need to act quickly to secure our place in this time of war. We must raise an army, and Emperor Leitpold Franz doesn�?Tt seem to be summoning the Counts to war. His age appears to be getting the better of him.

If my fellow Counts refuse to do something about this threat, then Hochland will march alone.

With this said, I, Elector Count Aldebrand Ludenhof, Baron of Hergig, Marshal of the Talabec Reach, Defender of the Shrines and Grand Baron of Hochland order you to raise several detachments of statetroops to aid the province. Send the detachments through the Drakwald where they will meet with the Katsbulger patrol at Fort Schippel. You will hold Fort Schippel until my detachments from Hergig arrive.

Hochland Will Raise its forces to fight.

Signed

- Count Aldebrand Ludenhof of Hochland

That took a while to write.

My Chaos Dwarf army is now size-able. Its nearly been a year since that fabled night where I decided to work all night on my dreadquake. It isn�?Tt massive but it is large enough, it has also won every battle it has been a part of other than one (Isabella Von Carstein may have used dark seduction to make Zhatan kill his entire regiment of warriors, shush I was having a tactical off day).

I blame my extreme success in war on the size of Ghorth�?Ts hat.

Now I feel as though it would be best to take a break. I will most certainly return to the mighty Dawi’Zharr, but for now I feel like I should take a break from such a mighty race. Try out a weaker and more challenging race, then come back when I miss my fire dwarfs. I also need some practice painting other things so I can return a better painter. Variety is the spice of life.

Knowing I need a break I decided I should start another army (I should really start saving money for useful things), I narrowed it to a few choices.

Reikland, Khorne Warriors, Ostland, Hochland, Dogs of War and finally Marienburg. Most of them were various empire factions. I play incredibly close to the lore so if I pick the empire I would pick a single province or even city then match colour scheme, units and even lords.

I also considered playing the Emperors army which would have statetroops detachments of all colours from the Empire and Karl, Balthasar, Kurt and Ludwig at the helm.

Knowing I had a ton of choices and it was very important and will decide my next year of my life and shouldn�?Tt be left to chance…

I let robots decide.

I set up a custom battle in total war between the factions and let the AI duke it out to see who wins. I used the Medieval 2 mod “Call of Warhammer” as it has the empire provinces as independent factions and has Marienburg specific units in the Dogs of War faction, after this was done, you probably could tell from the letter…

The Grand Barony Of Hochland!

Doesn’t sound too exciting. Even though Hochland is my single favourite empire province.

That colour scheme man, oh that colour scheme…

So, this army will obviously be incredibly different to paint as, Well its bright green and red.

I wanted to be able to use this army in other games. I love AoS and all but I have realized me and my gaming group have added so many house rules that we are practically playing a different game. Magic now has cards and lores and a wizard picks his spells at the start, you now have to worry about directions and flanking, we ignore initiative rolls at the start of a turn and bunches of other AoS things and we added our own points system and warscrolls. (We created our own points system because it�?Ts easier to start over and balance everything on our terms than try to understand how GW balanced it and try to get in their heads. This way is much easier.)

I noticed most fantasy war games had square bases, and I think most models look better on round bases but I would say Landsknecht esc pikeman are an exception. My entire empire army will be on square bases other than maybe the artillery.

This brings me to my last point going into this, GW is expensive and I dislike the look of the Empire State troops models from them. Their models look off. I will primarily be using Warlord Game�?Ts Italian Wars Landsknechts. They are incredibly cheap when bought in plastic and look wonderful. I prefer the puffed sleeves and tights look over the weird skin tight body suits.

I have already made rules for some Hochland lords (Aldebrand, Captain Katsbulger and Stefan Von Richthof). I can post them if people are interested. I so far just have 3 generals gathered to march to war. They will each get a regiment of state troops under their command and as bodyguards.

Actually I was lying about that being my last point. The structure that this blog will have is my true last introductory point. I have thought it through, each post will be lore friendly, it won�?Tt be entirely  �?oWell I picked this guy up for 10 bucks�?� it will be more of those lore segments like you saw earlier, however instead of being so general it will actually include things pertaining to that post and the next.

They will be titled and come with a fan made lore excerpt at the start about the new regiments or pieces in the army, written in first person in the perspective of one of the generals of Hochland. Then the pictures and some notes about painting them etc etc, not disguised as lore. Then what�?Ts planned next written as fan lore.

I will say that this being CDO, and chaos dwarfs being the single greatest race. The lore excerpts are always going to be from chaos dwarf spies. We are chaos dwarfs after all so there must be some way for us to find out about all this foreign information, what I mean is the last one said �?ointercepted letter�?�. Who do you think intercepted the letter? The answer is pretty sneaky and stabby.

With the introductions about what this is going to be out of the way, I will do something I didn�?Tt do with my chaos dwarf army. I will have this post come out before I have anything to show. I will not include the lore excerpt at the end this time, because our hobgoblins didn�?Tt make it back alive to tell us.

Do not fret, it won�?Tt be long till my next post. I will reserve spaces, this will be more of a showcase when finished and should be easy to look at.