[Archive] Garheb The Wretch (Hobgoblin Special Character)

Animatone:

So here’s a character I’ve been toying around with. Haven’t played any games with him yet, but would appreciate any feed back on the story, rules and any changes people would make. And please feel free to give it a play in a game if you can and let me know how it works out. Below I’ve included the story and background on the character, but long story short he is a Hobgoblin assassin.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Early in the gathering of the greenskin tribes, long before the Great Waag, Chaos Dwarf slavers would often ensnare and trap countless orcs and goblins. After being taken as the captives of the cruel and pitiless fell dwarves these orc and goblin slaves would be sent off to the scattered forge colonies across the wastes stoking the ever raging fires and blazing furnaces that typify the Dark Lands horizons. Over countless slaving expeditions and after thousands of captives taken, a growing trend was seen amongst the greenskin hordes. Certain goblins meek in stature yet cunning and shrewd in intellect were quick to rat out rebellion and betray their greenskin brethren. Some further yet would derive perverse delight in witness to the cruel punishments and butcherous executions carried out by the Chaos Dwarfs in consequence of such insolence.

These perfidious greenskins who had shown malicious contempt for their fellow kin were known in epithet amongst the Chaos Dwarfs as Hobgoblins. For it was obvious that these sinister goblins took great pleasure in the wake of such treachery and bloodshed, with little to no remorse for their own disaffections. Hobgoblins by even greenskin standards are nefarious beyond reprieve and are known across the lands as bottom feeders and loathsome despoilers, never to be trusted and always inclined to act in deep seated self-interest resulting in the almost certain misery of others. And due to their own craven cowardice and backbiting ways, hobgoblins not only have alienated themselves from their distant greenskin brethren, but are now obligated yet further in bondage to the Chaos Dwarfs, in both fear and trepidation of their oppressive masters.

Amongst the Hobgoblin hordes of the dark lands one such notorious and lecherous hobgoblin stalks the lands preying upon the weak and battle weary. Across the Worlds Edge Mountains and ashen plains of Zharr a traitor without equal and squalid wretch the likes of none before seen spills blood without restraint under the banner of the hobgoblin hordes. Known amongst the greenskin tribes Garehb �?oThe Wretch�?� in particular is one with many a name to those who detest and fear him. Garehb the Blackened One, Garehb Git the Blade, Garehb Bloodsnake and even �?oHe Who None Shall Name�?�, subsides in infamy amongst the hobgoblin warbands scattered across the Dark Lands of Zharr in lieu of his reputation as a barbarous killer. Through murderous deception and gruesome resolve Garehb has become known for his violent cunning, heartless disloyalty and unyielding bloodlust which many believe is without equal even amongst the most adept and deadly of hobgoblin cutthroats. Garehb is considered an implacable and murderous assassin even amongst other mercenaries and hired swords, and rather a precarious liability by the Chaos Dwarfs whom acknowledge Garehb as little more than a depraved and raging lunatic.

In battle Garehb rarely if ever engages his enemies in plain sight or view, or even shows his face for that matter, if not to briefly gaze deep in to the eyes of the dying in perverse delight as the inexorable fear and agony of death grow to precipice upon their face. Within the throws of battle Garehb watches mute in a voyeurs gaze, tucked deep within the maelstrom of even the most hostile of conflicts until blood spills freely from his enemy�?Ts wounds once in union with his poisoned blades. The Wretch Garehb will often cower deep within the amassed ranks of his fellow hobgoblins all but indistinguishable and always out of reach to then lash out at a moment�?Ts notice and have almost sadist�?Ts dominion over his battle weary victims. Severing flesh from bone, plunging knives deep within the slightest of chinks of even the thickest armour and plated skin, Garehb often baths in the very blood spilt in celebration of the kill. In witness to such ghastly butchery and malicious acumen Garehb�?Ts seat amongst the hobgoblins cutthroats has yet to be challenged, for even the hollow and double-crossing hobgoblins know �?oThe Wretch�?� is always watching, lurking in the seas of chaos and dead of night to steal the lives of those who cross his twisted path. That much even Hobgoblin�?Ts can have faith in.

�?oHe is not so much a warrior as he is a murderer and traitor. Let that always be known first! For The Wretch may be a blade plunged deep into the flesh of our enemies, but as any blade�?� can be plunged deep with our flesh as well.�?�

Zhatan the Black, Chaos Dwarf Lord

moogoodoo:

the storey is good and believable but the special abilities and stats seem over powered for a hob gob and his points seam a bit much to. id keep the one sward with the have the heroic killing blow and let him have the assassin rule and the panic rule but thats it as for the stats ws7 and i7 is just to good for a gob as well and should come down to 4 or 5 a peace. then may be bring his points down to 70-80 mark then your on the monie but thats just me love reading your work tho and wood love to try him out as well :cheers

Animatone:

the storey is good and believable but the special abilities and stats seem over powered for a hob gob and his points seam a bit much to. id keep the one sward with the have the heroic killing blow and let him have the assassin rule and the panic rule but thats it as for the stats ws7 and i7 is just to good for a gob as well and should come down to 4 or 5 a peace. then may be bring his points down to 70-80 mark then your on the monie but thats just me love reading your work tho and wood love to try him out as well :cheers

moogoodoo
Appreciate it and point taken... Thanks for checking it out!

gIL^:

YEa hes to strong, He’s still just a goblin,

brotsorrow:

Love the story!!! And i agree with other comments of toning down his stats just a touch as well as his cost.

Geist:

125pts and he is a total beast!!!

His weapons are worth 100pts or more together.

The reduce down to 1 wound and 1 attack weapon is easily 60 to 70pts.

The armour saves only of a 6+ is 80pts if its a dime.

3+ save in a horde formation unit from any attack? Woot that is a very good power another 60pts power.

The panic test thing is too confusing, as units in combat are immune to psych so instead of a panic test make it -1 to break check for each character killed in a challenge. That would work alot better and make more sense.

Now lets talk about his stats and the character himself. First off is he a hero or a lord? His 2 wounds make me think he is a hero not a lord, but his nut-so bongo stats scream lord choice.

WS7 yikes not even the Castellan is that good and he is suppose to be the might of the profit first hand.

St4 sure thats cool.

Leadership 8

The fluff suggest he is a massive coward one who does not lead or get up in the front lines, that he likes to sulk about. So 8 seems a tad high to me.

Between his reroll 1’s 3++ save in horde units and his god mode weapons, there is not a single character out there I would dare put up to him.

Sure he cant use both of the magic weapons at once but he doesn’t need to. First round pop em with the HKB sword reduce them to 1 wound 1 attack. Then bash them upside the head with the 6+ ar save weapon. Ker dead.

Let me run some numbers at yah.

My Death hag build from the dark elves as stands currently.

WS6 so I hit on 4’s thankfully I get rerolls

St 4 so I wound on 4+ but he saves on 3++

Attacks 5base plus d3 extra so I average 7 attacks.

So I hit 3.5 on the first roll I reroll my 2 misses and pick up one more so I have 4 hits. Now I wound on 4+ so I get 2 wounds, he saves them both on his 3++. So I now fail to hurt him, he return attacks. He needs 3+ to hit so scores 2 hits. He needs 3+ to wound me. By my plan from earlier I use the HKB weapon, now I try to save I only have a 5++ from the cauldron giving my unit a ward, so I take at least 1 wound odds are 2 wounds. SO I am dead.

My 200point bsb has been killed by a 125 gobbo with a 75 difference in points plus the extra 100 for killing a bsb.

Dude is too good, hes hard to hurt and he has over the top offense.

Animatone:

Geist,

I hear you, but he’s more of a psychopath/sociopath killer then a coward per se, but yeah here’s an update.

Take care

Geist:

Geist,

I hear you, but he's more of a psychopath/sociopath killer then a coward per se, but yeah here's an update.

Take care

Animatone
Alright pros and cons time.
Pro you dropped his WS that was a good call.
Pro you dropped his leadership another good call.
Con you dropped his points to 90. Bad call as his special rules and weapons are still over the top.
Con his rules and weapons did not change at all.
I think to make this guy balanced you are going to have to take a good long look at all his special rules and gear. Because the heart of the problem are as follows:

1 He can have a 3++ ward in hand to hand combat.
2 Making units take panic in combat phase is going to be clunky to figure out. I suggest again make it a extra minus in break check.
3 His swords are very good, while it is true he cant use them both and he wont swing before most things, his 3++ save makes it moot point when he swings.
I understand what you are going for with this guy truly I do. But as a hero choice, should he be able to kill a kitted out lord choice? Try looking at it from a pure numbers aspect.
90points is greater than 200pts? Answer is -110 meaning chance of killing 200 or more points works out to lesser than 30%. Possible but should not be a safe bet.
I believe you are onto a good idea with this guy truly. But you must find a way to make him either more in line with what he is (hero choice) or just go out of your comfort zone and make him a very odd lord choice.

This can work out to be a very rich and fluffy character with the chance to have the proper amount of fear in him that should be there. Just bare in mind that the fear should come from the possibility of him killing some one, not the assurance of it, just the possibility.