[Archive] Gasoline Prices

Kera foehunter:

Wow today it soar to 3.69 A gallon i wounder if any of you guys are feeling the prise gouging like us in the US.

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

Gas is high as hell, I heard from someone that it’s going up to four freakin dollars this summer. :h :mad :sick :(:~:o

Captain Crayon:

US$3.69 a gallon isnt so bad :stuck_out_tongue:

we’re paying the equivelent of over 5 US dollars a gallon (Based on prices of $1.45 Australian dollars a litre) for regular unleaded.

And that’s just regular unleaded. for premium you pay $1.60 and diesel $1.70

Doesn’t the UK pay even more?

Willmark:

The problem is less then 4 years ago it was $1.89… gouging is correct…

asheira:

i found a great solution

i walk everywhere i go

(i don’t have a car)

Sojourn:

ugh, it’s horrible… in Toronto gas prices are around 120.99/L ($1.2099/L)… conversion seems to be 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres… soooo, I dunno it looks like gas is about $sh.tloads/US gallon. booooooo

and on top of that, my car’s gas tank is HUGE and my car is always thirsty… I filled half the tank for $45 the other day =S

luckily I take the train in and out of the city, so I only drive about 10 km roundtrip a day :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Doesn't the UK pay even more?
Yep. Because, unlike in the States, we don't have seizures whenever someone expects us to pay more for a rapidly-depleting natural resource.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

petrol is about £1.09 (approx £2.20), diesel is £1.22 (approx $2.44) per l

torn:

we had to pay £1.23 the other night for a litre of diesel. its nearly £100 to fill up a van now. and we thought it was bad at the start of the year at £1.10.

thats £5.59 per gallon, which is $11.02, so kera its not so bad, i have to pay 3 times as much as you for petrol lol

Thommy H:

I’m all for it. Apparently “it’s bad for the environment and it’s going to run out soon” is a bit too difficult for people to understand, so this solution will have to do.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

the sooner this country starts protesting more about all the price rises the better

petrol and diesel is going up 1p per week around here and it does not look like stopping

looks like gas and electric will be going up again 15-20%

food prices up by 15% recently because of the fuel cost supposedly

now this goverment has decided 5% rising to 10% of all fuel content has to be bio, hmmm crops for food or crops for bio, hmmmm fuel or food…

Thommy H:

the sooner this country starts protesting more about all the price rises the better
Sure! We all want people to use much more oil! Great!

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

every thing these days is transported so the more the fuel prices go up, the bigger the knock on effect with food, transportation costs, people spending less in the shops because they cant afford to ect

the goverment and the companies are getting enough money, 2 of them posted outragious profits for the first 3 months of the year

Thommy H:

No one said that decreasing our reliance on fossil fuels was going to be easy. Sadly, it’s going to take even more sacrifices to actually enact the necessary paradigm shift that’s going to dig us out of this polluted little hole we’ve dug for ourselves.

At the end of the day, it’s a fact of life that the oil is going to run out pretty soon and, whatever your feelings on global warming specifically, we can all look around and see that carbon emissions aren’t doing anyone any good (just look at the air in LA or Mexico city…), so something has to change.

It sucks, but it’s happening, so deal with it.

Grimstonefire:

The problem is Thommy that here in the UK at least the politicians are milking every single £ they can out of the nation on the pretence that by doing so it will help…

The government get to keep 66% apprx of the price of petrol, and will they reinvest it on our behalf in renewable energy, or public transport??? Not a chance in hell.

They keep prices high, which cripples the economy.

Don’t even get me started on the other ways the government is ripping us all off on the pretence of saving the environment.  Its all just a big money spinner when all they really need to do is punish industrial producers and increase air fuel duty.  Instead they make the common tax payers pay… as always.

So basically as much as I agree GLOBALLY we need to do something major, until the governments start encouraging people rather than punishing them its bad news.

If people think oil prices are high now, have a look in 10-20 years or so.  I’m expecting crude around $250/barrel at least.  The pain has only just begun. :frowning:

Thommy H:

Well, yeah, I acknowledge that the reasons it’s happening aren’t entirely noble. It’s just that, eventually we’re all going to be living in a world where there is no oil, or where there are far more stringent limits on what can be pumped into the atmosphere. If higher prices make us think twice about using so much petrol, maybe that’s not an entirely bad thing.

torn:

as far as global warming is concerned the earth has burned out many times in history, and has had ice ages many times in history, before even the first drop of oil was ever dug up. of course there are major pollution centres in the world which would benefit from a different power source, but as far as the majority is concerned it makes no difference. electric cars might happen in the future, but at the moment i cant see it happening.

grim is right fuel costs are driving everything through the roof. it would cost my company £3500 to send a lorry up to the scottish highlands and back, only from newcastle. imagine how much your food is going to cost if their lorry prices are affected in the same way.

Thommy H:

as far as global warming is concerned the earth has burned out many times in history, and has had ice ages many times in history, before even the first drop of oil was ever dug up.
So we shouldn't care about potentially making it worse? It's not a case of "x is causing y", but more like "x probably causes y, and y is happening already, so let's not exacerbate y by throwing caution to the wind and doing x as much as we like."
of course there are major pollution centres in the world which would benefit from a different power source
But the world is all one place, with a single atmosphere. And most people live in those places where the pollution is, which is causing more athsma and allergies and that kind of thing. You can go to a city and see that carbon emissions are harmful - so why are we still prioritising convenience over peoples' wellbeing and the wellbeing of the planet we live on?

Grimstonefire:

Agree with you there torn

Aside from the changing global demand, and shortages of food, the oil/ petrol price changes are really pushing up the price of food.  Eventually it will push up the prices of most things because of delivery.

There’s Gordon Brown saying inflation is near 2.25%… cough :o 14% I think…

The sad truth is that IF America actually signed up to any environmental agreement, and IF the top developed countries really starting acting, India, Pakistan and China would probably keep levels similar to what they are now.  They have no real pressure to improve.

Willmark:

The sad truth is that IF America actually signed up to any environmental agreement, and IF the top developed countries really starting acting, India, Pakistan and China would probably keep levels similar to what they are now. They have no real pressure to improve.

Grimstonefire
I'm hardly a Republican, more of a Libertarian, but here is the truth ^^: regardless of what the US and Europe does there is no way China will stop. India maybe. China? no way with their current system of government.