[Archive] Getting adapted to 8th

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi guys and girls!

It’s been a while since I was online here. With a new baby and runing the store and all, I haven’t had much time to do anything.

Anyway, it took me a while to get the new 8th edition rule book (sent to me by GW in the pre-release of Blood Island).

Adapting to the changes from 7th to 8th is quite a big task. There’s a lot of Kool things going on that also seem to pump up the Chaos Dwarfs considerably in their operation as an army. Also, there are a lot of things that are eliminated from 7th, such as “Unit Strength” that are quite different from the past.

Blunderbusses seem more powerful as there is the new rule (Or maybe I missed it in 7th) about things with S4 affect armor by giving it a -1 modifier. The stronger the weapon, attack, etc, the more this “-” modifier applies. I always hated in 7th that my BB’s would launch a sucessful volley, hit 99% of all targets, wound 99% of all targets, yet not kill anyone because the armour save was higher than the weapons strength. Now with the “-1” modifier, I might actually kill something REALLY BADLY!

Anyway, I’m reading the book from cover to cover and enjoying the changes, especially the “Supporting Attackers” rules in which larger armies of infantry can attack in 2 ranks. This is a bonus to Dwarf and CD players indeed!

I’m almost finished reading the basic rules, and so far it’s very good!

I’m also glad they put the 6th edition style scenario’s back into the book, like the Watchtower scenario. Especially great as I have built a Watchtower model for the old campaign “Silence The Watchtower”.

Anyway, that’s my views on the new rule book so far.

If anyone wants to play a game with me sometime, just come to Monster Hobbies - 127 3rd Ave in High River, Alberta, Canada.

ThanX!

Tarrakk Blackhand

Gar Shadowfame:

Blunderbusses seem more powerful as there is the new rule (Or maybe I missed it in 7th) about things with S4 affect armor by giving it a -1 modifier. The stronger the weapon, attack, etc, the more this "-" modifier applies. I always hated in 7th that my BB's would launch a sucessful volley, hit 99% of all targets, wound 99% of all targets, yet not kill anyone because the armour save was higher than the weapons strength. Now with the "-1" modifier, I might actually kill something REALLY BADLY!
ekhem, you know strenght starting with 4 always modified armor by 1 2 3 etc, since like 4th ed, for both close combat and shooting

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I must have missed that…or was steered away from it bu my opponients. However, now I see it clearly! :smiley:

Spikes:

Tarrak, if you ever drop by Montreal, drop me a PM weeks in advance and we could schedule a game!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

And if you come to Alberta, stop by Monster Hobbies. I’m always avalible for a game in store.

Nicodemus:

And if you come to Alberta, stop by Monster Hobbies. I'm always avalible for a game in store.

Tarrakk Blackhand
I've considered stopping by your store before... I drove through back in March or April, but it was ~9pm and I was on my way home. The 8½-hour drive for just a special visit makes this a difficult proposition from Saskatoon. Maybe next time we're in Calgary or Lethbridge for any length of time I'll stop in ;)

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Awesome guys!

I’ve been reading more of the rules. I’m on page 80 - Troop Types. I’m just hoping that my brain can contain all the ruley goodness!

Fequiil:

With a new baby and runing the store and all, I haven't had much time to do anything.

Tarrakk Blackhand
you mean "ruining" the store right?:P