[Archive] Getting to know you

Lucifer:

Hi Guys

as a new member i’m interested in getting to know you all a little better, so i include below a little questionnaire and my replies to it…

age and location

Time spent being involved in the Games Workshop hobby

Other than Chaos Dwarfs which armies have you collected

What attracted you initially to collecting Chaos Dwarfs

Hats or Helm or Masks and why?

Favourite model in the official range and why

Least favourite model in the range and why

and my answers…

age and location

29, living in south east UK

about 15 years on and off. remeber my first ever day as a young, nearly 15 year old, going in to the store on a whim and getting embroiled in a big participation game. First turn was determined by which side cuold shout the loudest! I had command of Durthu!

ever since i have started High Elves have been my primary army, although i have collected empire, undead and chaos they have come and gone… my high elves have always been a consistent… until now!

I was just a little bit to late for the original chaos dwarfs, saw them occasionally in store when i was young but we couldn’t by them and to be honest they didn’t really interest me then… Then i saw the forge world stuff and had to get them!

previously FW stuff, though after buying an old “white dwarf presents” book for background purposes i was hooked on the old big hats! awaiting my force now

easily and by far two models…

firstly, the lammasu, this model to me is so representative of the force, big leering face, big curly beard and really cartoony… cant wait to paint my one up!

secondly, and a VERY close second is the character with shield and axe in relaxed position, easily the best sculpt of CDs around!

Not sure on this one… don’t think i feel overly strongly about it at all i suppose if i had to pick it is the original Taurus but only because of the small size

TheHoodedMan:

You may also like the self portait photo thread
Aaaaaargh!
@Herby: You shouldn`t have done this! Now I won`t sleep tonight.

edit: sorry for spamming.

TheHoodedMan:

:cheers. Well that`s like reading a book and then watching the movie - sometimes this is … disturbing :wink:

Abecedar:

age and location

Old fart living Down Under

5 or 6 years roughly

O&G relegated to slaves, WoC & DoW relegated to potential slaves / allies, Elves & undead given away as a bad joke

Quote " But they’re Evil Dwarves" Unquote. (In the voice of Russel from the movie “Up”)

Originally Mask & Helm But all now - collectors-itis

2nd Ed:- CD = Oni Pointed Beard, War machine = Juggernaut, Hobgobs = Hound Master and Hounds

4th Ed:- CD = Hero with Axe No 1, War machine = Death Rocket, Hobgobs = Ghazak Khan

7th Ed:- War machine = Hellcannon

FW:-  So far Warrior Command Champion   War machine = magma cannon

I dont know…Personal preferences Thats Why!

Least favourite model in the range

2nd Ed:- None Love them all.

4th Ed:- None Love them all.

7th Ed:- None Love them all.

FW:-  Bloody multi-part models, fat fingers and superglue!

Kera foehunter:

age and location 28 in the Ohio valley u s a

Time spent being involved in the Games Workshop hobby 2004 since the storm of chaos… played a slayer dwarf army…still a dwarf pirate slayer at heart

Other than Chaos Dwarfs which armies have you collected Im a dwarf slayer player i support and field all female dwarf army… then i have dwarfs pirate dwarfs army then there ogre and pirate ogre

What attracted you initially to collecting Chaos Dwarfs The tall hats

Hats or Helm or Masks and why? Hats all other are emo dwarfs and a slave army to chaos army

Favourite model in the official range and why …still making the my figure so it not out there

Forge world because they are not metal there freaking resin and your paying a king ransoms for them. Like my father before me Metal Rules

sam585:

age and location: 25 California

Time spent being involved in the Games Workshop hobby: 19 years now, went in with my dad to pick up an old pack of mono-pose beastmen, followed by the next day of getting the paint-set mono-pose dwarfs, empire halbiders.

Other than Chaos Dwarfs which armies have you collected: Orcs and Goblins, Woodelves, Dwarfs, Warriors of Chaos. Recently dropped all other armies for Legion of Azgorh.

What attracted you initially to collecting Chaos Dwarfs : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/army2.php  this guys work made chaos dwarfs cool.

Hats or Helm or Masks and why? masks, hard to describe why I like masks but more specifically infernal guard helments, they just reek of hardcore and cool.

Favourite model in the official range and why: The lone infernal guard with handweapon and shield pictured on the Warhammer Forge site. This model sold me on collecting a Cdwarf army.

Least favourite model in the range and why: I actually love all the chaos dwarf minis, but I do hate with a passion empire state troops because the designers thought it would be cool to take a fine model and cover it in toilet-paper. A serious pain in the ass to paint!

furrie:

age and location

26, Rotterdam the Netherlands

I began somewhere in the 6th edition between the hordes of chaos and the beast of chaos book, not sure when any more.

Warriros of chaos, daemons of chaos, beastmen, ogre, dwarfs, lizardmen & wood elves

It was something different and xanders tutorial on converting bfsp dwarfs.

Even though I started with masks, its hats all the way. And why, well they just have something special.

Sorcerer on Lammasu, its just a cool model

The forgeworld Infernal Guard, they just don’t work for me

MadHatter:

age and location

28, Sweden

Started out as a Zharrling. Mid-teens, prioritized women over fantasy. Grew up and adjusted my priorities.

Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos.

Chaos was given, played some Mordheim casually some years ago, must’ve been 2010, with a friends models and found the Border Town Burning rules for Black Dwarfs. I went to a hobby store and to my horror there where no Chaos Dwarfs in the Warhammer section anymore. Made a decision not to mold and convert the Hellcannon Crew when I found the CDO tutorials. Had this in mind when I returned to WHFB this february, checked through the armybloggs and the Dark Father spoke to me through the pictures of the Big Hats armies and I started hunting it all down on ebay.

Hats because of reasons.

Hero with axe 2

http://chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Hero_with_axe_2.JPG

It’s all good Zharr-Naggrund.

GeofreyShank:

age and location

Brisbane Australia

I’ve been on and off for several years now but can’t for the life of me tell exactly how long…

Chaos Space Marines back when all my mates played 40k.

Dark industrial themes experimentation with the worst elements of the Old World

Variety is the spice of life.

I like to mix 'em all and then some.

Some of my Dawi-Zharr have none of the above.

Some of them have several.

The Taur’uk is probably my favourite but it does tend to change from day to day.

Not much of a classic big hat fan unfortunately.

I tend to prefer things dark and ominous and the goofy old school hats don’t do it for me.

Zanko:

age and location

44, Essen (former European capital of culture) Germany

I began in the 3rd edition - 1986

Vanilla Dwarfs, (Dark)Elves

My 1st miniatures were:

1. Bugman Rangers Box

2. Prince Ulthars Imperial Dwarfs Box

3. Chaos Dwarf Renegades Box

=> so in the first step was made in the early phase of my wargaming life

In the early times there were no masks and no hats

Khazek Doomlord aka "The Lizard King"

Some of the BigHats => much too comical for my liking

:hashut

Fuggit Khan:

age and location

In a couple of weeks I will be 51 (!)…live in the San Francisco bay area, California.

22 years

Night Goblins, Empire, 40K Grots

They are the epitome of my childhood love of Sauron, the dark lands of Mordor and the orc slave armies. The first time I saw them I thought yes! Dark masters of the volcanic waste lands with armies of greenskin rabble! And of course this song:

Lord of the Rings - "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way!"

Hats! Why you ask? Because Hashut deems it so :hashut

This guy, because he has such a beautifully wicked stance and expression:

I love all the 4th edition Perry models, even the Man O War Chaos Dwarf ship models…so "in the range’ my least favorite would be the FW models. Sorry, they are nice, but just not my cup of tea :cheers

Dînadan:

Age and location

26 and South Wales

13 years next month continuously, although I almost got into the hobby a few years before (exact date escapes me) but for whatever reason got distracted/put off buying more until the latter date :frowning:

Warhammer: started (properly) with an all knights mono-Tzeentch Hordes of Chaos armywhich fell into disuse when WoC was released. Later on revamped with a Great Host (mono-Tzeentch WoC and Beastmen, all converted to be wolves and foxes). Tried to collect Tomb Kings prior to Chaos, but it never really coalesced into a proper army (originally picked TK to use for my GCSE Art, but the teacher vetoed it after I’d already bought some stuff)

40k: Thousand Sons (with a few mutated Space Puppies as pets)

LotR: various bits and pieces including the full run of BGiMe. Started as a collector so initially didn’t buy with a mind to form armies (even after I started playing it was a while before I put a mind to buying with an army in mind). Did start building/converting a Black Numenorean Umbar army using Warlord Romans and metal pikes (ouch!) for the mass combat system (name escapes me at the moment) but that ruleset was a load of dreck so went back to SBG and did a did a Rohirim and a Dunland army using Gripping Beast Vikings (mostly the plastics with a few metals). Want to get back into this at some point, but the Hobbit films have killed my interest in Middle-earth a bit (will have to make an effort to re-read the books again to try and rekindle my interest and wash away the Hobbit films from my memory).

Mordheim: Have collected Possesed, a Wight-lead undead and a Hobgoblin warband (each in various stages of painting) and was sculpting my own Halfling warband a few months ago until motivation dried up.

BFG: bought a Chaos fleet a while back with the intention of converting a Thousand Sons fleet but only managed to start work on one as a test before I had to shelve it for various reasons and have yet to get the motivation to go back to it (anyone sensing a pattern here? ;p)

Bloodbowl: Chaos Dwarfs (which are actually fully painted and based for a change save for a Bull Centaur for the very good reason I have yet to buy one to complete the team)

Not sure probably a combination of vaguely remembering seeing pics of big hats somewhere, seeing the FW ones and having bought Tamurkhan for my Chaos army and reading the fluff there.

A mix really. I like the look of the big hats and that’s why I’ve bought a load of blunderbusses and axemen (axedwarfs?) to use in my army, however my plan is that the bulk of my army will have a hybrid of hat and helm (that is they have helms that are in the shape of smaller/more practical big hats); some will also have masks for practicality purposes.

Hmm not sure, can’t decide between the 4th ed Drummer, Blunderbus 7 or the Death Rocket crew. Don’t know why, but they just have some sort of charm to them.

Probably not fair to judge them without having seen them in the flesh but I’d say its likely one (or more) of the pre-Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs. Partly because they just don’t do anything for me and partly because they have too much emphasis on the Chaos part due to having been sculpted before CDs found their footing. I suppose they’d be okay as one or two in say Mordheim or WHFRP to represent vanilla Dwarfs that have fallen to Chaos, but they’re just not Dawi Zharr to me :(. A close second would be FW’s K’daai because they just look bad.

Grimstonefire:

Age and location

30. West Mids.

17 years I think.

I think ‘armies’ is a loose term for me, but Dwarfs, High Elves, Skaven and Chaos (combined nurgle WoC Doc). At some point in the next year I’m going to start a 40k army. Not sure which yet.

What initially attracted me was that they were an open book for development. For the first year of my interest in them I think I painted 2 models, but I did probably 30-40 sketches of loads of different things and wrote a lot of material. It was the potential for what they could be that was most appealing then, and still very important to me now.

I’ve only painted one ‘big hat’, an old plastic one that was one of the first models I bought. I don’t like the aesthetics of the old models, and I hate the price!!

I’m very much a mask person, but I do love the character of the old 4th ed metals.

I’m going to say the Skullcracker, I think it’s incredible the imagination that Tim Adcock has to design and build machines like these without CAD.

Most of the big hats, except the hero/sorcerer models which have a lot of character. Of the WF models it’s the Infernal Guard.

TheHoodedMan:

age and location

I could ly;). But its 41. Southern Germany near Nuremberg.

23 or 24 years now with interruptions. Started in 3rd. Edition WHF, then played all kinds of games, no tabletop for over a decade til 2013. Im really fond of the 8th Edition.<br><br><strong>Other than Chaos Dwarfs which armies have you collected</strong> <br>I always liked skaven and Nurgle armies. I have a painted skaven force and an unpainted 3000+ pts. of WoC. With one eye I am watching Death Korps of Krieg and Horus Heresy Mechanicum as well as Bretonians.<br><br><strong>What attracted you initially to collecting Chaos Dwarfs</strong> <br>I like the forgeworld warmachines and the great versatility of models from a lot of different sources. And the book is really great.<br><br><strong>Hats or Helm or Masks and why?</strong> <br>All of them but if I had to choose it was Hats. I love the slightly majestic and arrogant babylonian style of the hats. In the meantime I also collected a reasonable amount of GW Big hats in addition to my "modern" Chaos Dwarfs.<br><br><strong>Favourite model in the official range and why</strong> <br>The magma cannon. This is so typical of the whole FW style, awesome to play and it attracted me to collect a force. And the sneaky gits.<br><br><strong>Least favourite model in the range and why</strong> <br>There are no models what I really dislike but the old GW Astrogoth and Lammasu are not my favorites.<br><br>Hey ho, lets go!

DAGabriel:

age and location

50 and living near the (allegedly?) oldest town of Germany, Treveris.

On and of since perhaps `93

DarkAngels, FW Renegades, some Lizardmen

The Tamurkhan-book, but the influence here soon led me to the old ones.

Ha…He…M… all of them!

The sorcerer-prophet and this little guy:

Ass-cannon for being too expensive, Taurus for the model.