[Archive] going back to the classics

evilskull52:

i was searching for a good radio station one day in my car and i ran into this oldies station that played all the good classics that brought me to my childhood when my dad had to show me good music when he heard me listening to the newer crap the call music now. im i the only one out here that respects the good old classics?

Bolg:

I dont know how old you are and what you consider classics. but as i’m near 34 I by definition find todays popular music crap and love my classics and the classics I picked up from my parents (going all the way back to Glen Miller). whoe doesnt (:

That and i’m also a sucker for happy hardcore.

I kiss your lips and close my eyes, take you away to paradise make everyone see that I love you and you love meeee!!

G.2:

What do you consider classics? 70s, 80s, or 90s?

For me. I grew up listening to 70s (very young boy), and 80s in my teens. So I remeber the 80s “Classics” quite well, but I personally would call 70s music “classic” for me. Things like led zepplin, jimi hendrix, the rolling stones, janice jopplin, Village People, Donna Summer, Bee Gees, Eagles, David Bowie, the list goes on and on.

Yes, the “Classics”. :slight_smile:

G.2:

Bolg and I, posted the same question at the same time (1.13pm). You know what they say about great minds. :slight_smile:

evilskull52:

they 70’s are they good stuff and some of the stuff 80’s and 90’s and what i meant about crap is the bands with boys that sound like they have a ball clamp (EX. justin bieber) and people how think they can sing (EX. Rebecca black)

Blue in VT:

Indeed!  As I find myself to be a classic these days I certainly have an affection for much of the music of the late 60s and early 70s…many
Of the bands that G2 listed plus the Beatles, Jefferson airplane, Cream, Traffic etc.  and going even further back to the roots of classic rock which lie largely with the acoustic blues masters of the 30s…Robert Johnson, Lonnie Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Mance Lipscomb, and men of that type.

I am so infatuated with these old blues men that I have been inspired to learn their type of finger pickin blues…and have been playing it for about 7 years now…hence the “blue” in Blue inVT

Follow it to the root…you won’t be disappointed.

Cheers,

Blue

Bolg:

K-billy Super sounds of the 70’s

Borador:

I consider the following bands/composers as classics (note: these I listen to on a day to day basis, there are many other great bands and genres out there)

Beethoven

Mozart

Vivaldi

Bach

Sweelinck

Aerosmith

Led Zeppelin

Whitesnake

Van Halen

Steel Panther

Poison

Stryper

Ratt

Nitro

Guns N Roses

Mötley Crüe

Def Leppard

Bon Jovi (only during their Glam period though)

Basically ever other glam metal band out there.

Jimi Hendrix

Rober Johnson

Mississippi John Hurt

Steve Ray Vaughn

Muddy Waters

Howlin’ Wolf

Buddy Guy

And many other blues artists. I don’t listen to a lot of blues though, I mainly know it because my brother plays it a lot around the house (either on his stereo or on his guitar).

I do listen to said 80’s bands daily. Glam metal/glam rock is sort of my thing I guess.

evilskull52:

what ever happened to creedence clearwater revival

Abecedar:

For me, I grew up with older parents who listened to “Slim Dusty” (a legend in country music here), “Nana Mouskouri” and other old folk stuff and a fair bit of olde country (Ireland and scotland) singers. My only escape to modern stuff in the 70’s was sitting in the car listening to a radio station but I’d been infected with other music when my older brothers came home. Deep Purple, Black sabbath, Creedence and some others had sunk into my bones.

later I found my own stuff, in more Black sabbath, Dio, Ozzie of course, then “Maiden” early AC/DC and Metallica and Black Alice (an almost unknown aussie heavy metal mob), then there is Cold Chisel and most other decent rock bands. Now I’ve added Evanescance, Linkin Park, Nickelback. Plus stranger stuff in Van Gelis and Kitaro.

But the truth is, If I like something its because it fits the mood I’m in and I’ll even listen to Pet shop Boys occasionally.

PS. My wedding song is David Bowies “Heroes”. Yep Heroes … just for one day! Been married 20 years next week.

Von Gadsden:

congratulation and does your wife mind you play with “toys”

Chico:

PS. My wedding song is David Bowies "Heroes".  Yep Heroes ... just for one day!  Been married 20 years next week.

Abecedar
My wife walked down the aisle to Gn'R Sweet Child of Mine and walking out song was Anything Goes, nothing like classic rock on your wedding day.

(Married 3 months yesterday)

evilskull52:

i see most people here are married

G.2:

i sehe most people here are married

evilskull52
That is whole new topic/thread right there. I'm fairly sure it has been discussed before. But I'm happy to do it again.

evilskull52:

well im not married nor do i have a girl friend so most of this stuff about marriage i woundnt understand

cornixt:

I think that 25 years is the standard age for something being classic. Made me feel old when they started playing Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses on the classic radio station!