[Archive] Going in for major surgery

Swissdictator:

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I got home today, and I am glad to be home where I can relax a little more easily and have my hobbies to keep me occupied while I heal some more. Thankfully I had my own room at the hospital, and the staff was very polite.

Each day is better than the last, though some times it is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I still hurt a lot, but they have me plenty of prescriptions to help.

A professor at my school, with whom I had been discussing this before the op as his son had the same op, even said I was healing up faster than his son had… which makes me feel relieved!

Kera foehunter:

Good to see ya made it !!! Yea

I see your meds are a little weak you can still type lol

Keep up the good work and try to stay active !!

Kera

snowblizz:

Glad to hear you are doing ok.

Didn’t consider asking them to add washboard abs while they were in there?

And titanium? I’m guessing I’m not the first to say something about Wolverine? :wink:

Swissdictator:

For those who want to see an after picture of my chest following the surgery here is a link.

It might be considered ‘gross’, by some, so I have declined to make it an image in the thread. Just be aware of what you’ll be seeing first!

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq28/swissdictator/PectusExcavatum/AfterSurgery.jpg

vulcanologist:

Now that’s a scar to be proud of Swiss! Good to hear everything went well! A much healthier future awaits!

Lava Lord:

:cheers Hey Swiss, glad your in the recovery stage. Still, take care and follow the docs orders! I hope to hear soon it is now a full recovery and all is well…take care :hat off

Swissdictator:

Just wanted to drop a note.

Still recovering, and still in pain. The meds can help a lot.

I got a LOT of painting done after the surgery. It can be painful getting in bed, with some sense of pressure on the chest. Getting out of bed is tough too.

Still slowed down a tiny bit, more walking stiff than slow. Not really feeling like running yet, it vibrates the chest and that hurts.

On the plus side?

Breathing is SIGNIFICANTLY improved, even confirmed by the doc. I actually feel like I have two lungs breathing now, a very strange sensation for me. I have more energy, less random body aches too.

I’m also sleeping better. I need less sleep than I used to, I’m less inclined to sleep in, and when I wake up… I actually am rested. I never really had that in my life before.

Odd things?

It still takes getting used to not having a sunken chest when I look at the mirror. It’s even stranger if I rest my hand on my chest and I feel the flat chest, and not that sudden dip. It’s surreal!

furrie:

Glad to here things are getting better and that the surgery has the effect it should have.

khedyarl:

Really good to hear you’re doing better, Swiss.

And ladies love scars. Tell them you got it while in fisticuffs with a shark wearing a top-hat!

Swissdictator:

Recovery continues. Off the fentanyl patches now though.

Whenever I breath in suddenly or deeply my chest ‘quakes’ or shudders, due to pain internally. So I am stepping up the pain pills under the orders of my nurse, though my surgeon recommended trying Ibuprofen during the day over the narcotic pain meds.

Still slowed down a bit, lifting is a bit rough sometimes, but doing much better.

I’ve lost 15 pounds sadly, so I’m down to 148 lbs (67.13 Kilograms)! I need to start putting the weight back on, ugh. And that’s with a reduced appetite post surgery (due to pain AND due to the pain meds too). So I’ll be getting a big jar of nuts to snack on at work.

Also, possibly due to lost weight, I can feel the corners of the metal bar on either side of my chest… shudder

DAGabriel:

Good luck for the recovery, don`t worry too much, such things take time.

Swissdictator:

Doing well, still in quite a bit of pain. Though I go into the doc’s Tuesday for some tests. We will see when I get the titanium bar removed, hopefully this month or early October. It all depends how my body is healing up and such. Though they’ll let me keep the bar!

I’m using a lot less pain killers, using IBuprofen more and more over the prescription pain killers… which helps and avoids the risk of addiction.

Allergies are kicking in, so I’m sneezing more, which hurts a lot, as does coughing. So I’ve started using a generic zyrtec to help combat that.

Finished my internship, which was nice, even if I was slowed by the meds. Semester has started, and I’m loving the coding. I’m also, for fun, taking French I. I have a slight background in French, a couple years of it when I was younger, but I’m starting from scratch to get some needed review. Tired of being the “ugly American” who only knows English. Finding that class rather enjoyable… taking it for fun as opposed to requirements makes a difference, and the prof is friendly. '

Been keeping stress levels by finally working on historical miniatures again (American Civil War and WW2), which is so relaxing it is truly therapeutic for me.

Skink:

Glad to hear thing are going better dude! Anyway, you’re allergic AND it hurts every time you sneeze? Ouch. I’m VERY allergic as well (pollen), and I know how bad it is. Damn I used to hate spring. I found out that antihistamine pills do wonders if taken regularly everyday!

Aside from the obvious pain to your chest do you still suffer of headaches?

Swissdictator:

Recently had the surgery to remove the bar, and they even let me keep it.

This is the bar that was in me for a long time! Old pair of glasses are for reference. It’s 9 inches long (22.9 cm)

Feels good to have it out, though there is still some pain. Wisconsin winters are not helping either, so that’s not fun.

Been up and down, as we now know my 5.5 year old mini-schnauzer has cancer… ugh…

Though I may be having true job opportunities soon, we’ll see how that pans out.

DAGabriel:

Good to see you made it successfully. Gives me some hope for the hip surgery my daughter is facing.

Ghrask Dragh:

Thats great to hear, keep on taking care

speedygogo:

Glad to hear you are doing better Swiss.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Wow! Where was I? Glad all is better for you Swiss!

Lava Lord:

:hat off Well, that’s it ya made it. Very Happy for ya. Don’t get to crazy to fast , take it easy. Listen carefully to your body for warnings, so your immune system is probaly still weak, Care is the word. If ya can or whenever…:cheers

Kera foehunter:

Very bad new to here this about your best friend.I do not know how i can reply to this

Because i know how much she mean to you