[Archive] Golden Hat #10 - Closes 31st October

Grimstonefire:

Welcome to the 10th Golden Hat competition of Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Subject Matter

By popular demand the Staff are pleased to announce the following competition for the 10th Golden Hat miniature contest:
Create a model or models that are Chaos Dwarf themed!

So what do we mean by this?

This is the most open theme that we have ever done and could possibly do.  To celebrate this being the 10th your task is to create something CD related that you have not shown as a painted model on CDO before.  I know some of us have shown models we have created that have yet to be painted, so we’ll leave this open for those (a great reason to get the paintbrush out).

The key to win here is do whatever you think will be the most impressive, but also we’d like to get everyone entering something as there really is no reason not to even if you believe you won’t win (for the fun of taking part).

So you could paint up your first unit of warriors, do a single bull centaur, maybe a kollossus or a group of warmachines etc.  If you can paint a whole army in the time allowed feel free to enter it!  Large scale sculpts are allowed (mention this to staff and we can include it with your entry so people know, incase it isn’t obvious). Dioramas and duels/ battle scenes are allowed.

We hope that this entry will allow those new to Chaos Dwarfs and CDO to enter, and also appeal to those who have an almost complete collection (when is an army ever ‘complete’?).  Subsequent Golden Hats will not be as open, so if you think your entry is unlikely to be done as a theme for a long time (or ever) now is the time to enter it!;)  If you want to enter something that has been the theme of a previous golden hat you can (obviously a different model).  If you want to include a warrior, a hero, a warmachine and a unit of orcs etc as a small collection of models you can.

Obviously this could get very tricky judging, as people can be comparing a hobgoblin to a unit of bull centaurs or a hellcannon etc.

There are however some things to bear in mind:

If you want to enter for the fun of taking part then your options are huge, if you are aiming to win the key is to go for what you think will be impressive…

The entry does not have to be game legal.  The CD list is so small that for this contest as long as it could feasibly be from a CD themed army it is allowed.  This also means units below minimum size are allowed.  CD themed special characters/ Regiments of Renown of your own invention are allowed.

Although you could just enter a random collection of models, it might prove more impressive to have them forming some sort of theme.  I.e. some warriors a hobgoblin and an orc could be more impressive if they were all fighting!  Stick them on a base together etc.

No matter what your entry is you are still only allowed to take 4 photos, and they cannot be montage shots.  This will obviously limit the impact of doing multiple units/models as people will only have a shot or two from each.

Lastly your entry cannot be terrain and has to include at least one CD themed model.  Scenery and other background effect are not to be included for judging.  So if your model is a CD sorcerer with a temple in the background for instance only the sorcerer can be allowed for judging.  If the sorcerer was in/on the temple it would be considered a diorama and would be ok.

Basing and painting
Anything goes, game legal or not.  Though obviously if you want it to be useable afterwards you should do it on the right sized base or pin it in such a way that it can be swapped later.

The model obviously has to be fully painted, and by the person entering it.

Particulars
Due Date: 11:59 PM 31st October 2009 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Subject Matter:  Create anything CD related

What is the deadline?
Once again same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM 31st October 2009 (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (Around 8 weeks to complete your entry).

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. in order to avoid problems. I “highly advise” that entrants do not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries…

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet, these cannot be montage shots.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.

= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

As usual once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting. And as always if there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Grimstonefire:

Hopefully we (I) have thought of most of the questions already that could arise out of this, and it obviously needs a banner, but I thought we might as well get this going now. :slight_smile:

torn:

Lastly your entry cannot be terrain and has to include at least one CD themed model.  Scenery and other background effect are not to be included for judging.  So if your model is a CD sorcerer with a temple in the background for instance only the sorcerer can be allowed for judging.  If the sorcerer was in/on the temple it would be considered a diorama and would be ok.

Grimstonefire
I have miscast a few of my resin CD's and was going to use them as part of a scenic base for a tyranid lictor. Im assuming this doesnt count?

I havent done any chaos dwarves for a while now hopefully this competition will inspire me to get the paint brush out!

Grimstonefire:

A lictor/ spawn with a live CD could be interesting. ;)  Like a daemon slaver.

If the models you want to enter are casts, but haven’t been painted then you can enter them.  Casts that have already been painted and shown on CDO shouldn’t really be entered.

Zanko:

Very interesting and difficult task! :hat off

I have no idea what to build and paint  :mad … but I’m looking forward that the right idea will come! :wink:

Great idea for us impatient CDO members! :slight_smile:

:hashut

Loki:

Perfect i have just started on something like that this morning :slight_smile:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Hm… this is a very open competition, then. I will have to think about that for a while.

retreats into his red-lit dungeon forges

Canix:

Hm... this is a very open competition, then. I will have to think about that for a while.

*retreats into his red-lit dungeon forges*

Ishkur Cinderhat
Time to send in the hobgoblin sabotuers :hat
Looks like a good competition i'm in, now where did i put that scatchbuilt castle? :o

Joking aside i think this is a great idea ,lets see what the evil geniuses can come up with :cheers

Pyro Stick:

Wow this is going to be crazy. Its going to be hard to win this one, or even to get 3rd as there are going to be so many large entries. If i was allowed i would enter my unit of MM90’s but they are already painted so i cant. I definately wont have time to paint a whole unit so im going to have to go for a Lammasu probably, as all my impressive warmachines are done and im not going to scratch build/convert anything.

edit: Damn, i just realised im going to be away from the 21st to the 28th of october (girlfriend forced me into going to an AnimeCon down in London) so im going to have to start on my entry today if i want to even think about entering.

Hazkar:

hmm…interesting topic

i think ive an idea already

time to get out the paint

Willmark:

Hopefully everyone is satisfied with the subject matter!

clam:

Have I been waiting a long time for this - just to see the hesitation among staff. Must say I’m quite disappointed. So no Willmark, not everyone is pleased.

We all know that competitions like this one will ‘only’ reward the sculptors and modellers - and I have to say, that I’m really sad to see, who this painting competition has become more and more a sculpting/converting contest. Not that we have see awesome works done - sure we have - but I would have love to see this back to basic.

So right now, I’m most likely going to pass this one.

But take it away Ishkur - should be within your reach to take your 3th title. Good luck to all of you.

Shankenstien:

Can I possibly enter? I know i’m not gonna win but I would like to enter my first fully modeled/painted Chaos Dwarf.

Also one question: Can we enter merceneries? ie. Ogres? It says 'anything that is Chaos Dwarf themed, and Leadblechers are actually Chaos Dwarf themed, so does that make them a viable entry?

Thanks ~Shankenstien~

Grimstonefire:

Sure, CD themed ogres would be fine. Some people use these in fan lists.

Anyone can enter, an open competition means anything can be entered whether it’s highly converted or just really well painted.

cornixt:

We’ve done quite a few single model comps, so opening it up to something else is nice. You don’t have to do a whole unit either, just the command group unconverted would make an excellent entry (always one of the more interesting Golden demon categories), but you can always go to town with a crazy conversion. I think quite a few people might have unfinished entries from the other comps, so now is a good time to finish.

Bassman:

Well, as Clam said not everybody is happy. I have mixed feelings.

If we look at Golden Deamon it’s an open competition, where you can confrontate a single mini to a monster. So there is nothing wrong in doing the same for Golden Hat. I only wish people try to judge more painting and skill than the sheer size of the miniature.

On the other side Im not happy for a do-whatever-you-want competition. How could you compare a monster to a diorama? How could you judge an entire army just from 4 pics?

I’d prefer to keep some limitations… dunno yet if I enter. I have a mini almost ready and a couple of projects that could fit…

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Having thought about the pro’s and con’s I think this will be an interesting contest, although I agree with Clam and Bassman in that a less open theme would have been preferrable.

After all “something CD related” seems a bit redundant since Golden Hat never ever was about something “not CD related” in the past, or was it?

I don’t agree with Clam on that Golden Hat is too converting/painting oriented. That’s what this contest was always about, just like its big cousin, the Golden Demon always was. And I don’t agree with Bassmann on that the size of the model was ever more important in the judging than painting and skill, although I will accept it as a criticism on my last entry.

I would expect that GHX will allow more people than ever to enter into the contest because the topic is practically without any restrictions, which is probably also what the admins were aiming for, to ensure GH does not turn into a contest between a small elite fraction of CDO members, and to celebrate the 10th competition of this kind with a big event - but it will not allow for a fair comparison of the models either. To compare a sneaky git, however nicely painted, to a full-blown Temple of Hashut with 20 bull centaur guards inside, or a whole army, for that matter, seems to me to be a feat that cannot be possible to accomplish.

For me personally, GH is about getting my enthusiasm and creative juices for the CD army going again, which this competition will quite probably accomplish (seeing that I am already sorting ideas on what to do ^^) but I am not 100% happy about the choice of topic - because in the end, no topic was actually really chosen IMO. We’ll just have to see where this leads us and what stuff we will see in early November.

furrie:

I already have a pretty cool idea, now I just have to see if I can create the idea :stuck_out_tongue:

GRNDL:

If you want to have a competition where painting is respected admirably, then the judging process needs to be changed, IMO. I submit, once again, that a panel of judges - perhaps selected from previous GH winners or mods - be selected to judge each entry from a variety of angles: originality, conversion/sculpture quality, painting quality, etc. This way, the entries are treated fairly and in a consistent manner.

Willmark:

Well, much like anything I’m sure there will be those that we cant please.

Clam, your opinion and you are entitled to it.

If everything works out  I may enter, not because I’m going to win but because I want to create something cool, that in and off itself should be what this is about.