[Archive] Golden Hat #14(1)

Ishkur Cinderhat:

No ideas whatsoever...
:o Taurus? Lammasu? War Golem? Lord riding War Golem? Lord riding Juggernaut? Daemonic Engine? Tunnelling engine? Bull Centaur Lord? Greater Daemon of Hashut? Kollossus? CD Anvil of Doom? Chaos Dwarf War Pub ;)? Loads of stuff that it could be :cheers

Baggronor
The info that
It cannot be:

A duel or diorama
Infantry
Cavalry
Warbeast
War machine
Chariot
Swarm...
makes it not that easy.. It could not be a Kollossus since that would be a war machine, it cannot be a Bull Centaur Lord since that would make it cavalry, right? I'm not sure what qualifies as a war beast, but I would guess a Golem would not be one of those..

cornixt:

It could be a small Kollosus (although that sounds like a contradiction in terms), mechanical/daemonic monster thingy, or a golem too. Warbeasts are things like regular giant wolves and horses.

nitroglysarine:

so war-beast = 1 Wound mount?

Grimstonefire:

There are no height limits on being a monster, so you can make a kollossus if you want.

Monsters of course don’t have ‘crew’… But you could justify a single engineer guy as some sort character and make it a ridden monster.

Technically I believe the hellcannon is classed as a monster (?) Too lazy to check the FAQ. but as you cannot have models on separate bases you’d need to find a very inventive way to get everything on 50mm base. :wink:

A monstrous cavalry BC lord would be fine.

Thommy H:

The Hellcannon is a Monster. The handlers in a unit with the Monster and Handlers special rule (and it is a special rule, not a Unit Type) are almost completely decorative in nature, and only matter in that when they’re removed, the Monster has to take a monster reaction test (they also contribute to close combat, but their actual position is irrelevant). Mounting them on the same base is perfectly permissible, and so ought to be allowed here too - the model would be a Monster with the Monster and Handlers rule, that’s all.

Baggronor:

Technically I believe the hellcannon is classed as a monster (?)
Yes, it deploys and behaves as a monster and handlers. War machines have crew and all those fiddly rules about different Toughness values for ranged and melee hits, 6 enemy models can attack them in melee, cowering instead of fleeing and so forth.
It could not be a Kollossus since that would be a war machine, it cannot be a Bull Centaur Lord since that would make it cavalry, right?
Well, the Kollossus would only be a war machine in terms of fluff; in terms of rules, I would imagine it would be treated similarly to a Hellcannon, which is also a war machine in fluff, but a monster in the game. As for the BC Lord, I was thinking of him being Monstrous Infantry/Monstrous Beast/Monstrous Cavalry like in Thommy's book (or like the WF ones, if rumours are to be believed), as everything else on a 40-50mm base is one of those. And a Golem would surely be Monstrous Infantry.
so war-beast = 1 Wound mount?
War Beasts are things like Dire Wolves and Chaos Hounds, animal units on cavalry bases, mainly introduced to stop them being classed as cavalry and causing confusion. Sometimes they can be used as mounts, in which case they become cavalry, so this doesn't include things like Juggernauts or a Pegasus as they are Monstrous Beasts and are on 40-50mm bases, regardless of their Wounds. They also get Stomp and all that.

Grimstonefire:

I would actually be extremely impressed if anyone managed to fit a hellcannon onto a 50mm base.

The handlers thing does raise an interesting point.  I specifically said it all had to be on one base, which almost all the time the handlers are not.  So people would only be mounting them on this for fun or leaving them out entirely.

If anyone is wondering, just doing a random warmachine and classing it as a ‘Hellcannon’, i.e. a monster is not really in the spirit of the rules. ;)  Infact unless it clearly is a hellcannon model I won’t allow it to be entered as it’s clearly just a warmachine.

Some sort of daemon beast gun platform monster creature thing would be fine, just not a sneaky attempt to enter a death rocket somehow.

nitroglysarine:

I would actually be extremely impressed if anyone managed to fit a hellcannon onto a 50mm base.

Grimstonefire
Pointed straight up? :hat off

Thommy H:

It seems like a “war machine” that is visibly daemonic would be in the spirit of the rules, Grim, since the idea of Daemonic Engines (in whatever form they might come…) counting as Monsters and Handlers is now fairly entrenched. Indeed, I’m not sure where you’d draw the line between a cannon that’s a daemon and a golem-type creature. They would both presumably be half-beast, half-machine in nature, right? As long as it looks pretty monstrous, like the Hellcannon, it ought to fit the criteria.

Hashut’s Blessing:

As long as it’s clearly a monster that happens to have a shooting attack, rather than a warmachine that has hints of monster to it, no problems really. Obviously, there’s subjectivity with that, so if you’re worried, avoid that sort of thing :wink:

Zanko:

I have a quite cool idea … imo! :wink:

Yesterday I started with the conversion work - I’m pleased so far but I’m not sure how to paint the stuff … !

I will see …

:hashut

vulcanologist:

Hmmm… I think I have the germ of an idea!

Blue in VT:

:mad i have to say I’m a bit stumped on this one…with what I have in hand I’m not sure I can find something that fits with my mental image of what my Chaos Dwarf Force is all about…:~

Blue

ingtar_shinowa:

So my squig riding Chaos Lord is out?!!!?!!

Grimstonefire:

A chaos dwarf on a giant squig however…  Who am I kidding. :smiley:

Incidently, as always if anyone is planning on entering with something converted it would be nice if you took some pics before undercoating.  Not that we need to see them for your entry or anything, but these things are always interesting to see in blogs afterwards.

gIL^:

Yea i got nothing, 50mm is to small.

Nicodemus:

Yea i got nothing, 50mm is to small.

gIL^
You can fit all kinds of goodness on a 50mm base ;)

... just maybe not on the scale of the Hellcannon unless you work upwards instead of outwards. I'm reminded of the Hellcannon by Ibis, which I think could have just about fit on a 50mm base with a little effort:

~N

nitroglysarine:

Not seen that cannon before.

with a bit of work, that could even be a mech-taurus!

Grimstonefire:

That is an awesome model. Gets my vote! (wait a second…)

It’s also a good example of a monster that happens to have a war machine type attack, rather than a warmachine that happens to look a tiny bit like a monster.

nitroglysarine:

so as long as it look like a monster and has say 40% machine bits showing, say arms, maybe a leg.

It’s hard to judge the balance really. Even harder to try and describe (for me anyway)