[Archive] Golden Hat #17

Nicodemus:

Welcome to the 17th Golden Hat competition!

Subject Matter

For this Golden Hat competition we want to see your War Machines! This could be something pre-8th Edition, such as a Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower, a Tenderiser, an Earthshaker Cannon; it could be something from the Legion of Azgorh list, such as an Iron Daemon, a Magma Cannon; or perhaps something of your own creation! Please keep in mind, if this is a Warmachine of your own creation, it should still be recognizable as a warmachine, not a K’daai Destroyer or something else. Yes, technically the Hellcannon, and the older Seige Cannon (aka “Ass-cannon”), are Monsters, but these the only Chaos Dwarf pieces that we’re going to allow to cross-over into this competition.

Your Warmachine must be Chaos Dwarf-related, but beyond that it may be operated by a number of Chaos Dwarf(s), Bull Centaur(s), Hobgoblin(s), Slave(s), etc.

EDIT: Restrictions on basing have been lifted. Any kind of base will be permitted. Additionally, while a war machine typically will have crew, this is not a requirement any longer (nor is there a limitation on the maximum number of crew). Ogre slaves and other beasts used in the service of the Machine of War are permitted, and this can include monsters of any size or description. The war machine itself ought to be the focus , however. We want to see the coolest Chaos Dwarf war machines ever constructed in the depths of Zharr Naggrund!

Also:

Display bases, plinths, as well as diorama style bases, are allowed.

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Specifics

Subject: 1 Chaos Dwarf War Machine

The due Date: 11:59 PM June 30th, 2012 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

What is the deadline?

Once again, this is the same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM June 30th, 2012 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (Entrants have ~5 weeks to complete entries).

If, for some reason, you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries…

How to Enter

Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:

- Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place in the vaunted Golden Hat Hall of Fame.

- The top entry will also receive a Forge World Hellsmith, courtesy of Grimstonefire, which includes ‘free’ postage (up to a value of £3, any additional postage cost will need to be paid for by the winner) – the perfect accompanying character for your prize-winning warmachine!!

- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 20 people enter we award 20 slaves to each person who entered.

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting within the first week of July, 2012. If there are any questions please send a PM to myself, another Staff member or post them here. Ideally post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

~N

furrie:

Lets see if I can finish a Warmachine with crew

DAGabriel:

I think i will try my luck, too!

Skink:

…First of all: great theme.
Second: I know you said “no K’Daai” but what if a person submits a sort of mechanical monster? I mean, what if it is CLEARLY recognizable as something mechanical? I don’t know: trains, mine carts, mechanical bulls, steam drills (and so on)

EDIT: Thommy H’s book allows daemonsmiths to ride Hellborn Constructs. Does this count as a Warmachine (with one crew)?

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

Count me in.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

tjub:

The 17th Golden Hat competition! Great!

Hi Nicodemus!

I guess you will see a new creation not such one which has already be shown here on the side?

Greetings :hat off
Herby

Herby
As long as you havent posted a painted version of the model its ok... :)

Bolg:

What a great motivator to finally finish my hellcannon!! awesomeness!!!

bas_2312:

I just started planning some warmachines to update my Big Hat army, so this came at exactly the right time!

G.2:

Do the Chaos Dwarf / Hobgoblin Operators need to be visible? For example; can the warmachine be completely enclosed (think WH40K dreadnought), with the assumption (and room) for 1-3 crew.

tjub:

Do the Chaos Dwarf / Hobgoblin Operators need to be visible? For example; can the warmachine be completely enclosed (think WH40K dreadnought), with the assumption (and room) for 1-3 crew.

G.2
I assume that at least one will have to be...
Crew
There must be a minimum of one crew accompanying your Warmachine, up to a maximum of 3 Crew members.

Blue in VT:

:hat off

Great! I may not have the most eye popping war machines for my old school dwarfs but I’ll give this a go for sure.

Cheers

Blue

Nicodemus:

G.2
At least one would have to be visible.

Zanko:

Great theme! :hat off

I’m definety in - must think over with which model I will enter! :smiley:

:hashut

Skink:

…Does anyone mind answering my questions?

Grimstonefire:

The Hellsmith prize is unpainted and unassembled. :wink:

I will have about a week to paint this after my exam. So I may be in.

vulcanologist:

Great! Here we go again! Have to put my other projects on hold!

@skink: I would have thought it was ok but best ask the mods. Pm Nico.

Grimstonefire:

@Skink.

I think Nicodemus already answered which monsters would be allowed, ones which are ‘GW approved’ (the ass cannon and hellcannon).  Aside from those two (which are more recognisable as war machines), this is not a monster/mount contest.

Just my unmodly opinion though.

Skink:

…Right!!! Just wondering :cheers

Nicodemus:

...Right!!! Just wondering :cheers

Skink
It would have to look liek it's clearly not going to be mistaken for a monster type of unit (exception is the Hellcannon, which is a Monster, but clearly looks like a cannon). It would also need crew.

That being said, if you're confident it will still look like a warmachine, even if there's some creature features in there, then enter it.

Skink:

Uh, nuh!!! Being totally honest I’m sculpting a mechanical bull. There’s no way I can pass that as a cannon:D. It’s time for me to think about a Magma Cannon I reckon! Thank you for your answers guyz:cheers