[Archive] Golden Hat #2 - Voting Thread!

minty:

well, i ould have voted for grom, but the arms are sorta long, and if they where straight they would drag on he floor so i voted for angry boy

torn:

voted for grom simply because the armour could be close to the armour of gazrhak, which was the point i think, although its not necessarily my favourite.

Traitor King:

I have to say I love the face on groms model. However, verall ANgryboys model is my favourite. The base is sweet and really adds that little touch to the model.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Okay, congratulations to all, they are excellent models. I know my paitning is utter sh*te, especially compared to the others’ models and this was my first attempt EVER at sculpting, so I am proud of it, despite it’s apparent unworthiness.

angryboy2k: I like the bold use of the model, but it looks a little too much like he’s showing off about it to me. I get the feeling that Rykarth is more the sort of guy that just gets the job done and gets it done well. Also, the pile of skulls seems a little strange to me because, unless he’s fighting a skeleton horde, there would be flesh or something. Also, the face plate could have a more furrowed brow, mayhaps, but that’s personal preference. Good clean sculpting and one of the best painting examples I’ve seen. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

Hobgobbler: I like the use of a big hat. Always makes me happy, however, I have always disliked the use of swords for dwarfs. Scimitars are okay, but only with chaos dwarfs IMO. That’s COMPLETELY personal preference. A bold choice of colour, but not one that I would have deemed to be in the best few choices. The painting is cleanly done though. Also, I don’t really see the armour of Gazrakh having a shield, but the eye decor is great. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

Hashut’s Blessing (myself): I would like its head to have a more furrowed brow or something to draw some more attention to a set of meaner looking eyes. I’m VERY pleased with the sculpting, but feel that, although painted as best I could and in the colour scheme of my army (and not able to think of what else to do to it), the painting is a little lacklustre and doesn’t really say “I’m awesome”…

Arashi: Excellent painting, incredible modelling, however, the pose of the model doesn’t say “I’m bad, in the cool way”. It looks more like he’s bored. But, I have found that with the original base model as well. The hair looks good. I would have liked bigger pictures because a lot of the darker coloured parts are difficult to see and I’d like abetter look at the helmet. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

Kyte: A very good model overall, but, I have seen it used many times before (in your blog etc) and, unfortunately, it makes it a little difficult for me to see him as Rykarth. I do, however, like the use of cloven hooves and big hat. The arms are perhaps a little too long though. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

Dedwrekka: Clean paitning and, other than the incredible rune, like mine, the painting seems to need something more. as has been said before, it looks more like a unit champion or something. A little more common than Rykarth at any rate. It looks too wide for its height IMO, sorry. And, I don’t like the chaos dwarfs to have such a close tie to chaos. Due to Rykarth staring down Archaon, I see him as more of a big hat or pre-big hat model, not post. The weapon definitely looks like a great weapon though… However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

WarplockMonkey: Very good painting, especially on the cloak and shield. The sculpting is very good and, unlike a lot of people, I think the nose is perfect for a chaos dwarf, although maybe only a character or special character as you have used it here. The weapon is also good. As I have said before though, the shield is not something that I would imagine being a part of the armour of Gazrakh. Also, the model is a little brighter (due to the cloak I imagine) than I would like, personally, and the arms are green, whcih seems to not fit in quite so well. The trophy rack, although I said I don’t think he’s a show-off, works on this model because it isn’t REALLY being used as a trophy rack, more as back of the head and neck protection as well as extra height and soikes. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

The Flying Beaver: it looks like an older model has been used, which is okay, but it looks maybe a little too Western dwarfish to me. The idea of your enemy’s troop being the one cowering is great, but considering the base it’s on, you can’t game with the model, which is a shame. The rack on his back looks a little too wide for my liking. If you removed the outermost strut on each side, I think it would look much better. Also, maybe somehow shortening it a bit. But, it seems more of an army commander type thing to wear, rather than for showing off and so, I think it works again, here.

grom: I like the painting and like the more naturalistic colour scheme. However, it’s supposed to be magical armour and so looks a little too dull. If it were ordinary heavy armour on a hero, it’d be great, though. My next comment is, he looks too American. American dwarfs tend to be taller and thinner than the shorter, more stocky English version. Also, his neck is very upright. The axe is incredible. The gauntlets, well, plate-mittens have always looked silly in real life to me. They are practial, but look quite unthreatening. I think that the banner detracts from the rest of the model a bit. It looks a little too tall and busy with it, without it, it looks more dwarfish and simple. I see Rykarth as a pure, simple 'ardman. However, I don’t really like a cloak on Rykarth. I will say this to all with a cloak.

I apologise if I have hurt any feelings, I have tried to give my criticism constructively and welcome planty of my own. I have tried to give equal criticism and praise to each member, but know I have failed due to my lack of sleep. Good luck to all and you shall see my vote in the poll!

The Flying Beaver:

it looks like an older model has been used
Nope, it's a BFSP miner.
But, it seems more of an army commander type thing to wear, rather than for showing off and so, I think it works again, here.
I'm actually not a fan of the trophy rack myself. The reason I added it was because it said that Rykarth counted as having a battle standard.

Now, for my opinions:

angryboy2k: I love this guy. His pose is dynamic, the sculpting is fantastic, and the model just oozes with charisma. There are a bit too many dwarf symobls, but with the excellent mask and pose, I don't notice them without closely looking. I see a Chaos Dwarf on first sight, and it's hard to change those first impressions. Very nice work.

Hobgobbler: Hats rule. This cannot be said enough. However, as far as conversions go, this one's not very elaborate nor is the painting to the same standard as some of our other entrants. I hope you'll be entering our next Golden Hat.

Hashut's Blessing: That's one huuuge axe. Too huge if you ask me, it seems almost silly. This guy also lacks anything which could be considered a battle standard or anything that exudes leadership (and thus giving the morale boosting effect of a battle standard, such as the head trophy of angryboy2k or Hobgobbler's cape/hat.) He also lacks a finished base. I'm sorry, but I don't see Rykarth the Unbreakable in this guy.

Arashi: I like this guy. He looks like a chaos dwarf, and he looks stubborn and, well, unbreakable. Unbreakable to the point where we'd be hearing him say "Tis but a flesh wound!" The conversion's great, and the paintjob's great. An excellent job.

Kyte: You're a talent sculptor and a good painter, but I don't think this guy represents Rykarth the Unbreakable very well. For starters, Rykarth doesn't have hooves (I'm going on the assumption that such an important detail would have been in his description in the WD.) :). I also think he's far too tall for a dwarf. These comments are obviously just echoes of what others have said, but I feel the same way. He's a nice Chaos Dwarf Lord, but not a very nice Rykarth.

Dedwrekka: I'm afraid this guy isn't very chaos dwarfy. The only things which are distinctly Chaos Dwarfy are the CD rune on his axe and the barely noticeable beard. He also lacks a battle standard, which was something Rykarth had. Going for a heavily armoured, chaos-influenced look is fine, but I really think you should add more features which mark your models as Chaos Dwarfs, not just short chaos warriors.

WarplockMonkey: A very nice sculpt and a good paintjob to go with it. But... what's with the face? It looks really odd. I'd like to see a close-up shot if possible.

grom: Fantastic sculpting, and finally a battle standard. The paintjob's impressive too. I don't really have any criticisms...

And my vote goes to: angryboy2k! Though I liked all the entries, this one just has so much energy and character it kept drawing me back. This model stands out well and certainly looks mean. This is our Rykarth!

Ghrask Dragh:

Alot of great minis here, Congratulations :cheers!!

:hat off to everyone who sculpted their minis from scratch too, I do not have the guts to try anything like that I wouldn’t know where to start!!

AGPO:

Okay, I feel sightly guilty about critisizing anyone seeing as I haven’t entered anything but here are my opinions:

Angryboy2k I love this model, the pose, the originality and the paint scheme are fantastic. My only complaint is it still looks too much like a western dwarf for my liking.

Hobgobbler A nice concept and a nice model, but I’ve just seen it done a few too many times to see it as Rythark (although I must admit this is partly down to the fact I used the same model for my army’s second in command). Also, I just don’t see dwarfs with swords. Sorry.

Hashut’s Blessing I just couldn’t go for a model which isn’t based. Sorry, but its a very basic thing to do if you’re entering a painting contest. Other than that though, its an excellent first attempt at sculpting and if it had been based would very possibly have got my vote.

Arashi A superb model which ticks all the boxes for me - concept, conversion, painting and originality. The one question I have is the cloak, but I’ve mentioned that before.

Kyte Not a deliberate Rythark conversion. Although this would have had my vote if it had been an original entry, it loses it because I don’t think just entering a model from your army is appropriate. it comes bottom of my list as I think it is unfair on the others who went to the effort of converting a specific model for this contest.

Deadwrekka Nice from the waist up, but I just think the legs look a bit too odd.

Warplock monkey A truly awesome original sculpt and a very narrow miss on getting my vote. It was just the paint scheme which swayed it, I just don’t think the yellow works.

The Flying Beaver I like the idea, the paint scheme and most of the model. It’s just the face that doesn’t work for me - he just doesn’t look evil. A face mask of some sort would perfect this model

Grom I hate to critisize this model as its a superb original sculpt but it just doesnt look like a dwarf for my money. He could just be that little bit fatter.

So after all that - I hope - constructive critisism where does my vote go? It came down to three - Arashi, Angryboy and Warplock Monkey. I’ve already explained why I didn’t wote for Warplock, but the one that screamed mean-ass-Dawi’zharr-forge-lord to me was… Arashi!

The captain:

All very nicely done, but the paint job, pose and expression of Arashi’s entry are in my opinion, the best. Just captures the kind of un-fazed, stubborn attitude that are in CD and the description of the character.

Ellimist:

My vote went to Angryboy2k. I think everyone else has already covered most of the comments I’d make, so I’ll just say that this was overall the most cohesive and eye-catching piece entered. Several of the other entries probably outdid it in certain areas, but this piece brought it all together quite well.

Grimstonefire:

Whoever wins I think we had some excellant entries. A real showcase of converting skills.

Next thing is to try and get somebodies photo onto the website. I’ve sent a photo of my model for all the good it will do :frowning:

Master Vampire:

Finally I can actually post on here. I hope… Here goes

Warplock Monkey gets my vote with the more clear pictures!

I really like the conversion, but more so the paintjob. Great work mate.

I would have voted for angryboy, but when Warplock Monkey got better pics up I was sold.

Cheers,

-MV

The Flying Beaver:

Poll’s closed. Congratulations to angryboy2k, the winner of our second Golden Hat!

grom:

Congrats angryboy2k :cheers

Arashi:

Congrats angry, you really deserves it. ^^

Hobgobbler:

Kudos Angry, you had a great model

hope to see more quality work from you

Ellimist:

Congratulations AngryBoy!

Now- on with planning the next Golden Hat! :stuck_out_tongue:

The Slaver:

congrats mate, look forward to seeing the model in some sorta US Gw publication…maybe,…

angryboy2k:

I’ve been locked up for most of the last week finishing up my thesis and preparing for my oral defense (which is tomorrow), but I had to say thank you to everyone who voted for my model.

Also a big thank you to Xander and the mods for running such an inspiring contest, and I especially wanted to say thank you to the community, because it’s you guys who inspired me to start converting Chaos Dwarfs in the first place, and it’s you guys who inspire me to keep sculpting, painting, and trying to improve even when real life gets in the way.

Well done to everybody who entered; together we are making this community the great place it is.

Roll on Golden Hat 3!

Cheers,

Steve

Slaver_of_Zharr:

hey angryboy, you forgot to thank the Academy :slight_smile: other than that congrats on the win!

angryboy2k:

It’s the thesis-writing. It’s made me all loquacious-like… :slight_smile:

Steve