[Archive] Golden Hat XVIII

AGPO:

Welcome, slaves, to the 18th Golden Hat competition!

Subject Matter

For this Golden Hat competition we want more Hobgoblin Slaves! The goal is to create 5 Hobgoblin models.

The only restrictions is that the models must be on foot (no mounted entries this time around) and not include a standard bearer. Display bases, plinths, as well as diorama style bases, are not allowed.

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Specifics

Subject: 5 Hobgoblins

The due Date: 11:59 PM November 16th, 2012 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission

All entries must be sent to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM November 16th, 2012 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after this as we are aiming for a quick turnaround on getting the voting thread posted. (Entrants have ~5 weeks to complete entries).

If, for some reason, you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries…

How to Enter

Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet. Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:

- Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place in the vaunted Golden Hat Hall of Fame.

- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 20 people enter we award 20 slaves to each person who entered.

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting as quickly as possible (within a few days). If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

-The CDO Staff

Grimstonefire:

Can I just clarify something

"For this Golden Hat competition we want more Hobgoblin Slaves!  The goal is to create 5 Hobgoblin models."

Hobgoblin ‘slaves’ being in character chat I presume, or is the theme to make 5 hobgoblin slaves?

Making models as slaves is a specific theme, when mercenaries etc may look different.

Nicodemus:

Hobgoblin 'slaves' being in character chat I presume, or is the theme to make 5 hobgoblin slaves?

Grimstonefire
Within Chaos Dwarf society of course all Hobgoblins are slaves... but this was just in-character chat is all.

devlanmud:

Cool, I’m going to start work tomorrow if the weather is dry enough to get some casting done.

Abecedar:

I think I have a problem with being able to “create” the hobgoblin slaves. To me that specifically means making brand new ones.

So please clarify for me, what are the options, Paint an existing hobgoblin or a substitute type models, convert something into a hobgoblin or cast new models as devlan is going to do.

Thanks…

Nicodemus:

So please clarify for me, what are the options,   Paint an existing hobgoblin or a substitute type models, convert something into a hobgoblin or cast new models as devlan is going to do.

Abecedar
The creation part of the process need be just the painting and basing of them, of course you're welcome to do any of the above options you suggested as well. When in doubt, keep it simple! If you're really not feeling keen on spending a whole lot of time waiting for an eBay auction for some metal GW Hobgoblins, or don't want to convert or cast your own, regular goblins have worked well for CDO members in the past and would certainly be good enough to enter as Hobgoblins.

~N

Abecedar:

Thanks Nico, that clears it up nicely.

Casting and even Converting can be a pretty heavy task. But Mis-using I mean Re-using other models is well within my skills.

furrie:

Why aren’t we allowed to enter a standard as part of the 5 hobgoblins or do you mean a battle standard bearer? Because now I can’t enter a complete command group with two rank and file models.

Nicodemus:

Why aren't we allowed to enter a standard as part of the 5 hobgoblins

furrie
Nothing with a banner or a standard or a flag, etc. Otherwise the contest becomes about painting the showiest eye-catching banner that goes along with the Hobgoblins -- or at least the perception becomes about painting a fancy banner -- and not everyone can compete on that level. While we could allow this, in all fairness the idea was that the contest and the judging to be focussed about painting of the models.

~N

furrie:

Why aren't we allowed to enter a standard as part of the 5 hobgoblins or do you mean a battle standard bearer? Because now I can't enter a complete command group with two rank and file models.

furrie
First I have also asked myself this question.
But the answer is simple. It's just about the Hobgoblins. Some guys are great in freehand-painting. So if they make some bad Hobgoblins miniatures they could pimp them with an awesome banner and maybe win.

But that's not the true goal. This time:

Subject Matter
For this Golden Hat competition we want more Hobgoblin Slaves!

I think that's it. Or am I wrong, staff?

Herby
A thanks for that, it makes sense now you explainded it.

Blue in VT:

Sounds like great theme and something I can get behind. I hope I can find the time!

Cheers,

Blue

Pyro Stick:

Do we have to paint 5 or can we paint up to 5?

Bolg:

Just finished a unit of 30. pics already taken… luckily I have 10 more so if I paint those up I can have a go at the horde with additional hand weapons, might be interesting and as always a golden Hat is the best reason to paint up some more models.

Admiral:

Pyro Stick
We shall paint 5, neither less nor more. That makes a rank. Sweet, I might even find the time to enter into this GH.

Vogon:

Sounds like something I could get the time to do, especially as the missus is away for a week so I’ll have nothing else to do in the evenings later on this month.

Cheers

Vogon

cornixt:

Pyro Stick
The goal is to create 5 Hobgoblin models.

contest rules

ryanamandaanna:

sweet, I needed an excuse to work on my hobgoblins again…

Kera foehunter:

Hobgoblin 'slaves' being in character chat I presume, or is the theme to make 5 hobgoblin slaves?

Grimstonefire
Within Chaos Dwarf society of course all Hobgoblins are slaves... but this was just in-character chat is all.

Nicodemus
Ummmmmmmmmmmm Within Chaos Dwarf society

E V E R Y O N E I S A S L A V E
:hat off

vulcanologist:

Hooray…good theme, here we go again!

DAGabriel:

Think if I find the time I am in, got an idea.