[Archive] Green stuff curing?

snowblizz:

Was greenstuffing some test Hobgoblins yesterday and as the roll I’m using (soon used up luckily) has much more yellow than blue it was somewhat “lighter” than it usually is. Now almost 24h later I realised it hasn’t really cured. It is actually still a bit sticky even.

As its a resin, I guess the blue part is the curing agent. Will it just take longer, or might it never cure properly, and is there a bottom line of “too little” blue? I think I might have running 1/3 blue 2/3 yellow this last time.

Grimstonefire:

I think it is possible for it never to dry, but it would have to be really light for that.

There is no ideal mix imo as it depends what you are using it for. If you want it stickier add a bit more yellow, not sure why you’d want to add more blue but that would work as well.

In my experience an average mix should be roughly 60% yellow, 40% blue.

Leave it another day, and if it isn’t cured I doubt it ever will be.

wallacer:

I wouldn’t have thought having more yellow would be a problem.  I recall reading an interview with Felix Paniagua of AoW who said that he used more yellow deliberately as it made it more easy to sculpt with.

GRNDL:

It will cure if its uniformly coloured. Epoxy putty cures through a chemical reaction between the two parts, so as long as its a bit green overall, it will cure eventually. If there are pure yellow bits that have not touched any blue bits, then those will not cure as there is nothing for it to react with. Just make sure its evenly mixed before using it.

If its taking a long time, try heating it with a hairdryer or heat lamp/desk lamp (with a 40+watt bulb).

snowblizz:

Not looking promising ATM I must say. Still sticky and its now about 8hrs later than when I posted this.

Its green, albeit very light, and I do mean very. And I should have mixed it properly, I did roll it around for a long time.

Not my first time mixing greenstuff after all. I’ve never seen it behave like this though.

Borador:

I once had the same problem, had a piece left and did not want to mix it properly, thought it might take me to much time xD

It really depends on the ratio of blue:yellow wether or not it will cure.

Like GRNDL said: as long as its green it has reacted, though with real lots of yellow on a real tiny bit of blue the curing can take much longer before it has cured completely.

You could consider redoing it using a better mixture, unless it is a real tricky piece and you are very content with the way it turned out.

If so this might come in handy: “Heat will shorten the cure time of greenstuff. Cooling will make it cure slower.”

Kera foehunter:

i put him in the oven for 20 min at 275 degrees

or put it away for a week and see what happens

or you could get drunk and forget about it!!

snowblizz:

i put him in the oven for 20 min at 275 degrees
or put it away for a week  and see what happens
or you could get drunk and forget about it!!

Kera foehunter
I'm pretty certain the plastic part would melt in the oven...

But I'll see about that getting drunk part. I like the sound of that.

Kera foehunter:

could you post the non drying creation snowbizz

snowblizz:

could you post the non drying creation snowbizz

Kera foehunter
I *could* but there's really nothing to see. But in case you are curious, its the backside of the "santa hat" goblin head in my prototype thread. Just filling in "hole" where the neck goes on Goblin heads.

Kera foehunter:

oh !! what i do is brush on super glue and be done then.

Hashut’s Blessing:

You’ll find that because there is more yellow that it will remain far softer, but it isn’t actually malleable. Give it a little longer and then give it a light poke: it’ll feel softer than when you have more blue, but it is still solid and will retain it’s shape…

speedygogo:

oh !! what i do is brush on super glue and be done then.

Kera foehunter
Good sugestion Kera.

Thorne:

perhaps leave it in the airing cupboard (closet with central heating boiler in it) overnigth and your ready to go. It happes to a lesser degree with my old favorite miliput but then it still happens … Overnight in a nice warm toasty place and your good to go … Mind you that also means many of us too :wink: