[Archive] Grimbold takes the field in the 9th Age

Grimbold Blackhammer:

My first game with be at 2,000 points (a slightly smaller game to help us grasp the rules). But I’d appreciate you guys who have experience with the new rule set tell me if I’m missing something.

Overlord (General) - Flintlock Axe, Buffer’s Helm, Dusk Stone, & the Dibbuki Goblet

Visier (Battle Standard Bearer) - Shield, Crown of Madzhab

Magus (Level 2 of Alchemy) - Dispel Scroll

Visier - Shield, Ring of Dessication

Hobgoblin Chieftain riding a wolf

38 Infernal Warriors w/ Musician & Standard Bearer, Flintlock Axes, and the Granite Standard

19 Infernal Warriors w/ Full Command

21 (ambushing) Hobgoblin Backstabbers w/ Champion & Additional Hand Weapons

6 Kadim Incarnates w/ Champion

1 Warpscream Cannon

The plan is simple - I put the Overlord and the Visier with the ring in the big unit of Infernal Warriors and and I point this unit at the worst thing my opponent has on the table. Rerolling to hit and to wound means they are dishing out the pain. And with the Granite Banner (combined with the General forcing my opponent to reroll successful wounds on himself), they should be stupidly durable.

My BSB and the Magus will join the small unit of Infernal Warriors with enough staying power to hold until something bigger or better can help them out. And the Warpscream Cannon gets double duty as holding the BSB’s flank and thinning out the enemy as they approach.

I have a pair of Hobgoblins on wolves to redirect nasty stuff.

My secret hope is the Hobgoblin Backstabbers do…something/anything but 136 points for a block of troops in someone’s backfield is a bargain so we’ll see how they perform.

So? What can I make better?

Abecedar:

I cannot help you, but good luck

Tokheim:

I guess you are looking at a corner deployment with such a small army?

Another thing Im going to have to get used to is the new victory conditions and how you earn points. Totally different than 8th edition…

Lots to get used to!

I remember playing CD’s back in 5th edition, I had a big unit of 36-40 Backstabbers. Do you think you might need to bump up the size of this unit?