[Archive] Gritzblag The Headless Orc

Vexxus:

Okay guys, I did a mock up of my vision for Xander and I’s Black Orc unit. We have a ton of bodies versus heads, so I used a model we aren’t planning on using right away for this test theme.

Comments Questions and Suggestions are welcome!

Kera foehunter:

Kinda dark is that orange and blue.i like the club. can you take another picture i have a hard time seeing the true colors

minty:

It’s good and ughly, which is what an orc should be

Vexxus:

Red to Orange, and Bluish Purple to light purple.

I will try for a brighter shot tonight but on my screen that one looks bright?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

It’s ugly but then not ugly enough for a black orc. :wink: I’d not mix red and blue ever it just doesn’t go well together. The chainmail and the silver on the weapon are way too clean and shiny, I’d apply some washes here. The paintjob on the red parts is very nice, tho.

torn:

the colour scheme is pretty cool, but if you have no blue in the rest of your army i wouldnt keep it on them. its not that it doesnt look good because i really like it.

if you guys need black orc heads i have tons of them in my bits box i should be able to send you

Vexxus:

Thanks for all the advice guys, and as was noticed the metals have absolutely no highlights and are really just filler to get the idea. On the finished product boltgun metal will be used on the chain, with highlights of mithril silver. Similarly, the brazz will have a darker base colour (forget the name) and be highlighted by brazen brass/gold.

I may however keep their armour cleaner than most, since in my mind the fluff supports the idea that the black orcs grab the biggest and best armour and giv ethe hand me downs to the orcs and gobbos, add to that the fact that they are presumably here part of a chaos dwarf army and will hvae newer armour more readily available. Personal choice that not everyone will agree with :wink:

Any suggestions on what to paint the currently purple bits?

I love the purple, but since Xander doesn’t and it seems a consensus here also, I will likely black it over, and put some sort of triangle or toothy white pattern on the black background. I tried this scheme with the firm believe that black orcs are often painted by GW to be boring, either all red, all silver, all black, or some boring combo of them. Hopefully my “hot metal” paint job will be enough to make these black orcs stand out the way that I would like, without the added support of the purple.

Xander:

Down with purple. That is all.

Hashut’s Blessing:

It’s odd, the light parts are too light and the dark parts are too dark, but I think it;s because of the picture, not the model. Anyway, normally, I condone purple, but it los blue AND too dark to me. Either dull out the orange or replace and brighten the blue/purple. I still can;t put my finger as to what with. Perhaps graveyard earth…

Vexxus:

I didn’t realise how bad the pics were, sorry guys! I look at a laptop p from the right anlge it looks bright as it should, but i saw it on a CRT today and EUW!

Grongi Blackbeard:

I love it! :smiley:

AGPO:

You get plenty of spare heads in the new boxed set and they fit the old models just fine. Get a box or trade with a friend

Kera foehunter:

still need better pictures. no purple Well how about HOT PINK!!! that goes great with orange

Vexxus:

We have more black orc bodies than we would ever really field, so I am not in any rush for heads, right now just working on contverting and painting 12 of them, all helms no faces, all axes!

So I can make a set of all purple ones later if i am not completely exhausted on black orcs by then!

haha

Purple + Greenskin = cool beans

Khan!:

Vexxus
QFT, if my army is any indication.

On topic, the paintjob on this guy I think is very nice, although like Ishkur I would not typically endorse combining red with blue. It seems like the style of this blorc is very old school - particularly since it is all so clean. He seems very 4th/5th ed to me. Was that what you were going for? If so, success!

torn:

We have more black orc bodies than we would ever really field, so I am not in any rush for heads, right now just working on contverting and painting 12 of them, all helms no faces, all axes!

So I can make a set of all purple ones later if i am not completely exhausted on black orcs by then!

haha

Vexxus
if you want the heads just in case i have all bar 1 of the spares from the new 20 size regiment id be quite happy to send over to you. i dont think id ever use them for anything again, the one i did use was to turn a heresy thrud into a big space ork, and that was a one off.