[Archive] Guy Fawkes night!

Willmark:

Sounds like something for Myth Busters.

nitroglysarine:

The image on there is a fall out, so it would affect that area, didn’t say that would be the size of the hole, the hole would have been 100m max, still a significant dent in the thames though!

vulcanologist:

Woohoo! Just launched a substantial ammount of ordinance! Scared my 3year old daughter to death! My 14week old loved it though…I was right he is a true fire dwarf better check if he’s got horns & tusks coming through!!

snowblizz:

The image on there is a fall out, so it would affect that area, didn't say that would be the size of the hole, the hole would have been 100m max, still a significant dent in the thames though!

nitroglysarine
You'll have to forgive me misunderstanding the post then. But you can see how talking about a huge hole and posting that picture would lead to that.

I need to track down that show I think, BBC do nice stuff and the presenter is Richard Hammond. Of course that leads to some immediate credibility problems as well. Considering his usual work. ;P Though of course entertaining on many levels. :hat off

nitroglysarine:

‘The Hammster’ does like blowing things up :smiley:

Swissdictator:

I was watching V for Vendetta projected onto a nice screen on a lecture hall on campus.

I’ve also made it clear to people I’m running for the Wisconsin State Assembly as a member of the “Guy Fawkes Party”… it made for an interesting night that somehow ended with watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

V for Vendetta –> Wall-E —> ??? —> Rocky Horror.

I have strange friends.

nitroglysarine:

V for Vendetta - great!

Wall-E - hmmmm

Rocky Horror - Eeep!

I have strange friends.

Swissdictator
Are your friends, Anarchists? Under 12? and also a bit weird?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Swissdictator:

No… they’re college students in their early to mid 20’s. We’re Wisconsinites so we are already predisposed to drink, as our state has a strong reputation for that.

nitroglysarine:

Drink, now I’ll drink to that!

I live in Aberystwyth in Wales, it has the highest concentration of Licensed premises (pubs) in a student town outside London and Oxbridge (Oxford/Cambridge). One of the reasons it was a destination for my uni life!

Twll Din Pob Sais!

Swissdictator:

One of my favorite beers comes from the Isles: Hobgoblin. The other is a local brew called Spotted Cow. Though Friday consisted of a few glasses of Vodka (well not pure Vodka I grant you)…

nitroglysarine:

A great beverage is Cpt Morgans and D.Coke (sorry can’t handle pure coke)

A pub near me does a cocktail called a ‘Pan-galactic Gargle Blaster’ - inspired of course by Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

That was, shall we say…potent?!?

Swissdictator:

Long Island Ice Teas (not sure if they go by a different name in the old world) are pretty good too! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a good movie, but I do believe Hugo Weaving’s voice does make the movie work.

nitroglysarine:

Long Island Ice Teas (not sure if they go by a different name in the old world) are pretty good too! :P

Swissdictator
1 part vodka, 1 part Tequila, 1 part rum, 1 part gin, 1 part triple sec, 1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix, 1 splash Coke?

And yes, without Hugo Weaving, that film would never have worked. At a push perhaps Alan Rickmans voice? :hat off

Swissdictator:

I think Rickman would’ve have to play Sutler, or at least his voice.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the final scene did I see a lot of the victims (some dead ones) remove Guy Fawkes masks too? The TV personality friend of Eve, the woman that had been in the cell next to V, and maybe a few others.

snowblizz:

We're Wisconsinites so we are already predisposed to drink, as our state has a strong reputation for that.

Swissdictator
Must be all that Scandinavian ancestry....
Drink, now I'll drink to that!
I live in Aberystwyth in Wales, it has the highest concentration of Licensed premises (pubs) in a student town outside London and Oxbridge (Oxford/Cambridge).

nitroglysarine
Licensed. *Pffft* Noobs. We have 3 unlicensed ones around campus run by the student associations. Though they've had to "chill" a bit in recent years. Some people just doesn't understand what a privilege is and had to ruin it for everyone.
A great beverage is Cpt Morgans and D.Coke (sorry can't handle pure coke)

nitroglysarine
Isn't that just rum & coke? Also know as Cuba Libre. Always been a favourite. In fact started out with that at the tender age of 18.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the final scene did I see a lot of the victims (some dead ones) remove Guy Fawkes masks too? The TV personality friend of Eve, the woman that had been in the cell next to V, and maybe a few others.

Swissdictator
All of the victims if my memory serves. Well that we were shown in the movie. Except V essentially. Took me a bit before I got it.

Swissdictator:

Nice, I only noticed it Friday. I liked that little touch A LOT.

Scandinavian? Well, Wisconsin is mostly German, Scandinavian, Irish, and some Swiss mixed in too.

nitroglysarine:

I live in Aberystwyth in Wales, it has the highest concentration of Licensed premises (pubs) in a student town outside London and Oxbridge (Oxford/Cambridge).

nitroglysarine
Licensed. *Pffft* Noobs. We have 3 unlicensed ones around campus run by the student associations. Though they've had to "chill" a bit in recent years. Some people just doesn't understand what a privilege is and had to ruin it for everyone.

snowblizz
Well, you know, we used to have these plastic straw sales around the place, and if you got a full length one you won a drink! Straws cost £1 each - It got around licencng laws for a while, untill they cottoned on.
A great beverage is Cpt Morgans and D.Coke (sorry can't handle pure coke)

nitroglysarine
Isn't that just rum & coke? Also know as Cuba Libre. Always been a favourite. In fact started out with that at the tender age of 18.

snowblizz
Yup, but never had a posh name for it. Locally we call it Grog.

cornixt:

nitroglysarine
Just about every uni town claims the exact same thing! I wouldn't put any stock in those claims. In Norwich we used to go on pub crawls and could quite easily not need to repeat any pub. Plus there was the street that had 7 pubs in less than 200 feet.

Thommy H:

I live in Cambridge. Trust me: Aberystwyth has more pubs.

nitroglysarine:

I live in Cambridge. Trust me: Aberystwyth has more pubs.

Thommy H
It was 52 in a smallish town at last count
-thats excluding off licences, there are about 15 of them to (inc Supermarkets)