[Archive] GW rules of speach in stores

Hashut’s Blessing:

Actually, that’s not what i was saying at all.

Also, P’s and Q’s was a warning to people not to spill their drinks if a tumble started (Pints and Quarts).

two_heads_talking:

Free Speech trumps all. However, it's their place of business, as was said, so they can their own rules.

I tend to agree that people are hypersensitive about being offended, especially by mere words.

Xander
Let's remember Free speach doesn't give you the right to say anything you want, it just gives you the right to be able to speak and not be quited. If your useage of free speach infringes on someone elses rights, then you've crossed the line..

For example, you walk into a bar of bikers and tell them that all bikers are a bunch of momma's boys and they obviously like the company of other men. You are free to speak that way, but at the same time, you will incur the wrath of the bikers who will now invoke their right to bear arms and beat you senseless..

Learning when to shut ones mouth is just as important as learning when it's appropriate to open is.

Hashut’s Blessing:

THT, I disagree: Learning to shut one’s mouth is FAR more important and a skill DEEPLY lacking in society.

two_heads_talking:

THT, I disagree: Learning to shut one's mouth is FAR more important and a skill DEEPLY lacking in society.

Hashut's Blessing
Yes, it is.. You are completely correct and I concede even.. to your correction.:cheers

editied succeed to concede.

Hashut’s Blessing:

W00t! Concurrence FTW!

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Well saying heck is considered blaspheric is wrong it’s just trying to avoid being blaspheric

But I agree that shouting ‘I’m going to blast you to Hell!’ in a puplic area is affencive as is saying ‘i’m going to kill you’ even if it is, in a jokey manner, passers by might get the wrong idea but saying GW should rename all their product with the word Hell in it is different saying Hellblaster is not telling someone that your going to blast then to Hell is it?

snowblizz:

Also, Hell and Heck are both blasphemies anyway, technically. Since blasphemy isn;t JUST taking the Lord's name in vain. Oh well :D

Hashut's Blessing
Then WFB and 40K considered a blasphemy?

BilboBaggins
I've heard of people who would say that. I've heard of people who couldn't play a WHFB Deamon army because their immortal soul could be at peril (or something like that). I'm not going to go into what I feel about that because there's just so much fire and brimstone any forum can contain. Even a CD one.

BilboBaggins:

but saying GW should rename all their product with the word Hell in it is different saying Hellblaster is not telling someone that your going to blast then to Hell is it?

Godbob and his jolly rogers
Now what exactly would you do with a Hell blaster other than blasting troops to hell? It's in the name.

I don't want GW to rename their products (I joke about making Chas Dwarf into Dark Dwarf, Dark Elfs aren't Chaos Elfs are they?) but to realize idea that a person at a gaming table (not yelling) stating that they are blasting the opponents troops to hell is not like saying I'm going to **** you up and send your troops to ******* hell.

Theory_Man:

but saying GW should rename all their product with the word Hell in it is different saying Hellblaster is not telling someone that your going to blast then to Hell is it?

Now what exactly would you do with a Hell blaster other than blasting troops to hell? It's in the name.

BilboBaggins
A Hell blaster brings hell to an object, not bring an object to hell. Notice how the definition changes and the first doesn't evoke eternal damnation. (I know, this is really nit-picky)

I don't want GW to rename their products (I joke about making Chas Dwarf into Dark Dwarf, Dark Elfs aren't Chaos Elfs are they?) but to realize idea that a person at a gaming table (not yelling) stating that they are blasting the opponents troops to hell is not like saying I'm going to **** you up and send your troops to ******* hell.

BilboBaggins
I know that and I respect that it implies blasting things to hell, but it says it in a subtle term, if someone were to say 'soon your troops will meet their doom' then I highly doubt thet'd get told off, it's like shouting 'you suck!' although it isn't a swear word and you may say it in a jokey way it still is highly affensive and 'I'm going to blast you to Hell' is the same. It's all about manners.

BilboBaggins:

I know that and I respect that it implies blasting things to hell, but it says it in a subtle term, if someone were to say 'soon your troops will meet their doom' then I highly doubt thet'd get told off, it's like shouting 'you suck!' although it isn't a swear word and you may say it in a jokey way it still is highly affensive and 'I'm going to blast you to Hell' is the same. It's all about manners.

I thought it was funny having a 20 something guy tell a 45 year old playing 2 20 somethings about blasting to hell. I never really considered something not containing Carlin's 7 and that would be said during a war offensive.

I'm guessing I'll start blasting people back to the stone age.

Sojourn:

I know it seems very hypocritical, Hellcanon vs. saying ‘hell’ in a sentence, and that the entire concept of WH is blasphemous. I remember when Xander would say “praise Hashut” he and I would get into some nasty fights about it because I just thought it very strange, and not even because I’m religious. but theoryman is right… I was trying to figure out a way to say basically what he said. it’s a subtle difference, but yes, there is a difference.

yes, people get offended easily, but I still maintain it’s their place of business and if people don’t want swearing, it’s for a reason. They want a friendly environment (best guess, even if not busy, you never know when a customer could walk in the door just as you proclaim “BWAHAHA, I’m gonna blast you to h3ll and back” etc). THT is right, free speech isn’t about saying whatever you want with a disregard for others. That’s ignorance. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but treat/speak to those as you’d want done to yourself, as Bilbo suggested.

and HB, I’m incredibly clever, even as a child :wink:

Swissdictator:

I use it as an excuse to come up with creative sayings, such as…

I’ll send you straight to the blood god!

Holy Hashut!

In the name of all that rots! (when I play Nurgle)

Sigmar’s Hammer! (Empire)

I banish you to the Realm of Chaos!

or (especially against WE players): You hippie!

snowblizz:

I thought it was funny having a 20 something guy tell a 45 year old playing 2 20 somethings about blasting to hell. I never really considered something not containing Carlin's 7 and that would be said during a war offensive.

BilboBaggins
I was going to mention it earlier but forgot. I get and agree that in your situation it most likely was a bit silly.

However, they can't deal with the particulars. They have a rule that says you can't swear then it applies in all situations. It is sort of like the parking ticket I'm trying to contest. I wasn't *parked*, the car had broken down (temporarily it turned out). Still didn't stop them from giving me the ticket.

Most rules are silly in some situations, it is just that you can't always be compensating for those few times with exceptions and maybes.

And remember, being blasted to the stone age might actually be an improvement for some.:P

BilboBaggins:

I’m a big believer in free speech.

But you can’t yell fire in a crowded movie house. Has the courts decided on whether you can yell movie in a crowded fire house? (I know OLD JOKE)

I usually try to keep my speech clean wherever I am. but I have gone bluer than Lenny Bruce at times but usually in private when I hit my hand with a hammer fixing things around the house.

When I ran some LOTR tournaments for the club I belonged to (long disbanded) I would dock points from players using inappropriate language. I understand the store has the right to govern what goes on in the store (you should really hear the people in the food court

AGPO:

Its always the intent behind the word that matters. A friend of mine regularly refers to me as a bl**dy Mik or damn Paddy, especially when I beat him, and I know its done in a jokey and affectionate way, in exactly the same way as me calling him a short arse. That said if somebody starts sl*ging off Irish people then I’ll take offense, just as I would if I saw someone being bullied over their height.

With really small children, you don’t want them repeating words they’ve heard to Grandma - it’d upset her. In most cases though, its a basic parenting necessity to teach your kids that there are some words which some people take offense to, and leave it at that.

Swissdictator:

I’ve taken the attitude, pick your battles. I might think it silly at times, Hashut knows I can have a filthy mouth.

It just doesn’t seem a priority for me to worry about.

BilboBaggins
Yes I must admit if it was a real war then don't hesitate to swear :P

Although my club is not a GW store we keep swearing to a minamal and only swear when need be (and even then try use better words)

But if you can't think of a word which isn't a bad one, make one up like Doddlewhop or fippedewom i do it esspecially because i keep stabing myself with they damn night goblin spears :mad

cornixt:

It’s all down to the staff’s opinion. I bet if you asked three other staff they would say “hell” was okay to use. Conicidentally, a religious relative sent me an email in which they wrote “he**”. Bizarre that they wanted to use the word but then self-censored it!

BilboBaggins:

I guess we should make a list of things to say and see if people here think it would be appropriate in a store (Battle Bunker) setting.

From Swiss Dictator
I’ll send you straight to the blood god!
Holy Hashut!
In the name of all that rots! (when I play Nurgle)
Sigmar’s Hammer! (Empire)
I banish you to the Realm of Chaos!
or (especially against WE players): You hippie!

From Me
I’ll blast you back to the Stone Age.
I’ll blow you back to the Chaos Wastes.
I’ll send you back to the Daemonic Lands
I’ll blast you to Hades
My Helblaster will send you to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.
My Black Orks will go mid-evil on you buns.
The Hell Cannon will unleash it’s Demonic Fury and put your souls into the void.
Give your blood to the Blood God.
That Fanatic just fragged my blunderbuss unit.
Darn Hippie Tree Huggers (Against Wood Elves)

Anybody else want to join in?