[Archive] Has any one tried Amy Painter Sprays + Stains?

warweasel:

As much as I would love to sit down and give my CDs the paint job they deserve, I need to have them ready for a tournament in July, and REALLY don’t have much time to paint right now due to work.

I am using classic Big Hats for the army, and since there is traditionally so much red (a color I normally HATE working with) on them I am going to try Army Painter True Red and see how it works out.  But I am curious to know if any one else has used their products and had any tips for me.

Pyro Stick:

I use their black spray to undercoat all my models (as its about £3 cheaper than the gw undercoat) and ive never had any problems with it.

Canix:

The army painter shade works well for 15mm though you can use a good acrylic wood stain .Popular stains are light oak and teak wood stains that can work as well .I have seen the army shades with 100 X25mm romans completey made and painted in one day by two guys,it looked fantastic for speed painting :hat off

Sherlocko:

Have not tried their spray paints, but this is done using their dark tone(or whatever the black one is called)

However it was a bit rushed.My BlOrc unit filler might be a better way of showing how it works for me:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

It works well, but best with light colours which are not commonly used on Chaos Dwarfs. I use it on my Tyranids and quite like the effect it produces:

The army painter shade works well for 15mm though you can use a good acrylic wood stain.

Canix
Really? A friend and me are currently starting to collect Flames of War armies; I already wondered about using the army painter. Are there any references or galleries on dipped models of that scale?

Zanko:

Hi Sherlocko!

You should also use (as the last work step) the “Anti-Shine Matt Varnish - CP3003”!

IMO your minis are much too glossy and after using the Anti-Shine they will look more “realistic”!

:hashut

Sherlocko:

I am going to use army painters matt varnish, and if that is not enough I have a can of testors ready. But I´m gonna base them before killing the gloss. But yeah, dip really makes the models glow.

warweasel:

Thanks for the pics Sherlocko! I like to sooty look of the Strong tone, but I’m curious to know if it is thicker or thinner than wood stains. I have tried them in the past, but have always found them a bit too thick for my tastes.

GRNDL:

Can someone describe what colour the light and strong tones are? Are they close to any of the GW washes?

Sherlocko:

I like to sooty look of the Strong tone, but I'm curious to know if it is thicker or thinner than wood stains..

warweasel
If you meant mine, I don´t use strong tone, I use dark tone. And I have no idea how it is compared to wood stain since I have never used it...

Canix:

The army painter shade works well for 15mm though you can use a good acrylic wood stain.

Canix
Really? A friend and me are currently starting to collect Flames of War armies; I already wondered about using the army painter. Are there any references or galleries on dipped models of that scale?

Ishkur Cinderhat
Hmmm ,not sure there are galleries with just 15mm painted with army shades.The Warlord games site had an excellent article on the Romans ,however it isnt on there anymore .There is a good collection of painted 15mm minis here http://www.madaxeman.com/15mm/index.php

Also there is a good article on shading here http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-dipping-orks.html

Merchant:

Cool looking - Can I ask you a question? Can I borrow your idea about using the Ogre body with Black Orc parts - these can be great looking Black Orcs in my oppinion :slight_smile:

Sherlocko:

I won´t be using him as an black orc, he will be going with my regular black orcs as a unit filler, but credit should really be going to Nightmare if that is appropriate. But yeah, it looks pretty nice, except that some pieces might be a bit to small. :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

hey!! if you lay off the sauce!! you probably have the time to paint your army!!

war weasel !!

well aether way good luck you pirate