[Archive] has anyone sculpted and cast a conversion kit?

mattbird:

I was wondering if anyone had sculpted and cast a conversion kit for turning dwarfs into chaos dwarfs? If not, I’d be interested in trying to make it happen. We have a resin caster in our gaming group, who has some free time on his hands…

Pyro Stick:

I dont think anyone has made a kit yet. Most people just sculpt and cast up whole models and then sell them. I havent seen any conversion kits though so if you think you can do it then go for it.

Kera foehunter:

well Matt i think the founder father of this site might be the one might have to look up .They did a lot of conversion here !! They probably have a lot of stuff like that!!!

That is a great idea Matt !!!

Maybe do a call out on the pieces that you think you will need for the converion

i bet some one here would help you !!

Khunag:

I can try to make something like that, i already have a CD shield ready

(you can see it here: https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/10922)

I’ll be also making some weapons.

It wouldn’t be that easy to make new heads with beards though, they would still require quite a bit of work from the modeller to make them fit.

Grimstonefire:

I would be interested to see what people came up with. Obviously it couldn’t be based on GW plastics, and it couldn’t be sold ‘together’ with the dwarf parts (in any shape or form).

Assuming these were to be used with the GW dwarf parts you’d need to have seperate variant torsos for the warrior and quarreller sprues, as they don’t fit each other perfectly.

Check out this thread for what we discussed a while back:

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5506

If they were for sale (even non profit), people would be unwise to connect ‘chaos dwarfs’ or ‘dwarfs of chaos’ :wink: in any way shape or form with them.

jolpis:

you could try asking ishkur, he has some awsome casts that use regular dwarfs bodies and arms

Khunag:

I know what i’ll do - since i’m making and casting whole CD’s anyway i can simply cut off the heads with beard from some cast and cast them again as a converion kit :slight_smile:

mattbird:

cool, thanks. Good reference thread too. I would think the best way to go about circulating them would be to sell the molds, as opposed to the casts. (which I know he would not want to do)

Maxmini does something similar- conversion bits clearly designed for use with GW plastic sets- so I agree with Grimstonefire, so long as we name the bits anything other than chaos dwarfs, should be fine.

Khunag, would you want to give it a go and see if it’s doable? I would think 3-5 heads would be all that’s needed for a start.

I’ll PM Ishkur and see if he’s interested.

I would not want any profit personally, off of this, but I’m sure sculpters could make money off of it, if it took off. (I can’t sculpt, sadly, or I’d just do it)

Khunag:

Khunag, would you want to give it a go and see if it's doable? I would think 3-5 heads would be all that's needed for a start.

mattbird
Sure, when have my CD's completed. I'll do it on my own though, i'm a caster myself ;)

dedwrekka:

cool, thanks. Good reference thread too. I would think the best way to go about circulating them would be to sell the molds, as opposed to the casts. (which I know he would not want to do)

Maxmini does something similar- conversion bits clearly designed for use with GW plastic sets- so I agree with Grimstonefire, so long as we name the bits anything other than chaos dwarfs, should be fine.

Khunag, would you want to give it a go and see if it's doable? I would think 3-5 heads would be all that's needed for a start.

I'll PM Ishkur and see if he's interested.

I would not want any profit personally, off of this, but I'm sure sculpters could make money off of it, if it took off. (I can't sculpt, sadly, or I'd just do it)

mattbird
You also have to avoid using GW terminology and their specific symbols. Also avoid using any of GW's parts.

You might try TrollForged as a distributor. H'es very helpful with getting new sculptors a boost and a place to sell.
He's also known as Hivetrygon on multiple sites.

turquois dwarf:

maybe the website needs an ebay shop or something to sell things like this and the T shirts?

dedwrekka:

So, what would we want? Hats, Helms, or Masks?

GRNDL:

I think there’s demand for all, really, but Hats are probably the most work, so would be an ideal part to cast, IMO. Then masks, which are easy to do, but a lot of peeps rely on the Chaos Mutation sprue part, so alternatives would be welcome. Helms are a dime a dozen from Chaos Warrior and Dwarf kits.

Kera foehunter:

beards !! that seems to be a hard thing to do for some people!!

if you change the beards then there no longer dwarfs

dedwrekka:

I think there's demand for all, really, but Hats are probably the most work, so would be an ideal part to cast, IMO. Then masks, which are easy to do, but a lot of peeps rely on the Chaos Mutation sprue part, so alternatives would be welcome. Helms are a dime a dozen from Chaos Warrior and Dwarf kits.

GRNDL
If we're trying to do all of those, I'd say do a removable head, but it can be hard to work out with the beard there as well, and you're also adding more to the number of parts that need to be cast.

What about weapons or armor? Which style of armor or types of weapons would be preferred? I don't think we'll be able to put Hashut's symbol on axes.

turquois dwarf:

has anyone checked for copyright on the rune of hashut? I thought I saw somewhere that it apeared on a few chaos dwarfs but it was Xander who made it as big as it is now.

dedwrekka:

has anyone checked for copyright on the rune of hashut? I thought I saw somewhere that it apeared on a few chaos dwarfs but it was Xander who made it as big as it is now.

turquois dwarf
If it appeared first on a few of those chaos dwarfs they can claim IP rights on it, or at least the artist can.

Baggronor:

If it appeared first on a few of those chaos dwarfs they can claim IP rights on it, or at least the artist can.
The artist won't be able to do anything, GW will own him, his work and his soul :~

snowblizz:

turquois dwarf
That's definitely a GW IP. Don't put that on there! Besides, It can "easily" be added by the converter. And some might not wish to include one at all!

Khunag:

Or one could put a symbol there that is quite similar but has one extra line… which could be easily filed of if anyone would choose to do so :wink: