[Archive] Hats or Helms

zagor66:

Im making a CD army and I want to know whats better for my ground troops Hats or Helms because my generals are alredy going to have big hats,lets face it big hats are the CD style.

wallacer:

Im making a CD army and I want to know whats better for my ground troops Hats or Helms because my generals are alredy going to have big hats,lets face it big hats are the CD style.

zagor66
Big hats aren't the CD style anymore, as proven by the Hellcannon crew.
Really, it comes down to personal preference. There isn't actually any "better" or "worse" as such.

zagor66:

I agree

cornixt:

Big hats aren't the CD style anymore, as proven by the Hellcannon crew.

wallacer
Because all war machine crew look exactly like the rest of the army...

Who knows, Hellcannon crew could be the lowest of the low in CD society, so they aren't allowed hats.

My characters all have big hats, the rank and file have face-covering helmets. Saves on conversion time but still keeps some of the fluff.

wallacer:

Who knows, Hellcannon crew could be the lowest of the low in CD society, so they aren't allowed hats.

cornixt
Maybe, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
I'm pretty sure that if someone were taking bets on whether new CDs (if we ever get any) were to have big hats or helms, the betting would be tipped heavily in favour of helms.

Just my opinion of course.��
Since new CDs will mostly be in plastic, it is not impossible that we may get both, however.

Undeadninjas:

I have a personal preference toward hats myself… I’ve converted about 20 chaos dwarfs so far, and each one has a hat. Also, I found a really fast way to make the hats. Take a relatively thin straw, cut off a small section of it, and then glue it to a buckler from the dwarf thunderer plastic box. Then take the [[BFSP]] dwarfs, and cut off any decoration on the helmets, (gems, candles, whatever’s there) and then just glue that down. Its fast, and looks pretty nice. Then you can add some green stuff to the top of the hat to make a spikey top, or whatever you like. I do the same thing with my characters, except I use bigger straws, and different top pieces. I also cover the outside with green stuff and put some kind of design around that That way it still looks fairly good, and uniform at that, while being pretty easy to make.

The Flying Beaver:

I'm pretty sure that if someone were taking bets on whether new CDs (if we ever get any) were to have big hats or helms, the betting would be tipped heavily in favour of helms.
If you look at the top right corner of the page, you'll see the most recent chaos dwarf image. Note that it has a hat. ;) The most likely thing, I imagine, is that there'll be a mix.
Also, I found a really fast way to make the hats. Take a relatively thin straw, cut off a small section of it, and then glue it to a buckler from the dwarf thunderer plastic box. Then take the BFSP dwarfs, and cut off any decoration on the helmets, (gems, candles, whatever's there) and then just glue that down. Its fast, and looks pretty nice. Then you can add some green stuff to the top of the hat to make a spikey top, or whatever you like. I do the same thing with my characters, except I use bigger straws, and different top pieces. I also cover the outside with green stuff and put some kind of design around that That way it still looks fairly good, and uniform at that, while being pretty easy to make.
I believe this calls for some pictures!

wallacer:

If you look at the top right corner of the page, you'll see the most recent chaos dwarf image. Note that it has a hat. ;) The most likely thing, I imagine, is that there'll be a mix.

The Flying Beaver
I didn't say it was a good bet ;)

Willmark:

I’m of the mind set that if CDs ever get redone it will be like the figures not like the artwork. GW tried Chaos Dwarfs with big hats… didn’t work out…

Ishkur Cinderhat:

My opinion is use whatever you like best; chances are that when (and if) GW finally releases the new range, the models will look totally different than either style anyway. They also like to change styles considerably with every new edition, see the next phase of Bloodletters which are about to be released!

Tallhat:

Hats ftw. But even I must admit that the chances of seeing hats on the new models (if they ever get here) are pretty slim. At least on rank-and-file troops, though it would be very much in style with the babylonian and assyrian theme if at least the Priests and Lords had some sort of stylish helmet. I like cornixts idea of the footsoldiers having masks as well.

- Tallhat

zagor66:

If they keep big hats they should probably clean them up a bit.

Willmark:

My opinion is use whatever you like best; chances are that when (and if) GW finally releases the new range, the models will look totally different than either style anyway. They also like to change styles considerably with every new edition, see the next phase of Bloodletters which are about to be released!

Ishkur Cinderhat
Respectfully disagree. If anything the new bloodletters are VERY similiar in look to the 3rd edition ones, I know, I have about 12 of them. Also look at the new high elf dragon, same pose as the 3rd edition dragon for the high elves.

It could be said with GW now "What once was old is new again".

Uzkul Werit:

My army has always used converted turbans. They weren’t that great but now I’m slowing getting more Big Hats. They look stunning in big units so my vote goes with the hats.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Respectfully disagree. If anything the new bloodletters are VERY similiar in look to the 3rd edition ones,��I know, I have about 12 of them. Also look at the new high elf dragon, same pose as the 3rd edition dragon for the high elves.

Willmark
All that tells us is that we just can't bet on what style GW will use in the next range. I know the old models back to about 1992 from my old catalogues. If you take a look at the Dwarfs, Orcs and Chaos miniatures, you will find that GW never quite returned to these styles, but developed something completely new instead.

Pyro Stick:

Well im always going to vote for hats as i love them. Helms might only look good on crew.

grunts:

Respectfully disagree. If anything the new bloodletters are VERY similiar in look to the 3rd edition ones,��I know, I have about 12 of them. Also look at the new high elf dragon, same pose as the 3rd edition dragon for the high elves.

Willmark
Totally agree with you. I'm currently looking over a copy of the old "Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness" and the bloodletters and daemonettes look very close to the artwork.

As to what looks best, I'm going with Helms. But thats just personal preference, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Willmark:

I also agree with the go with what you like sentiment being expressed here. But my comments on big hats still stand.

Undeadninjas:

Ok, its a crappy picture, but it should work.

I used a webcam, but its the only thing I have…

AGPO:

The Flying Beaver
I didn't say it was a good bet ;)

wallacer
I thought the most recent pic was in the BfSP book/SofC with the chaos lord which clearly has a horned helm. Besides, the latest models have got helms. When the hellcanno was previewed at the games day seminars I spoke to Gav Thorpe and he said they had gone back to the drawing board with chaos dwarfs because to quote him he wante them to look "a little more frightening and a lot less silly!" I think the odds are stacked in favour of helms. It would be a bt like expecting disney wood elves or 60s hollywood bretonians to make a comeback