[Archive] Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 14/10/2017 -- Hammerers

Helblindi:

Hello fellow evil stunties,

Maybe, since this is my first post, I should introduce myself. My name is Karl and I began WHFB a year ago. Wanting reliable troops and having an aversion to magic, I picked dwarfs, only to realize soon after that chaos dwarfs looked so much cooler.

So since then I’ve made up some fluff about a hold where dwarfs and dawi zharr live together in relative peace and cooperation, shunned by both dwarfs and chaos dwarfs. This allowed me to start converting dwarfs to the evil side and still use them in my dwarf army, and using infernal guard models for ironbreakers. I’ve also been lurking on CDO and checking out tutorials, but for some reason never managed to make an account, until now.

A few weeks ago, I bought Tamurkhan, and now I’m planning some CD-specific units.

So I’ll show my chaos dwarfs here, the normal dwarfs can be found here: Helblindi's Throng: Update 15/1: Blimp And Bsb - The Forge - Bugmans Brewery - The Home for all Warhammer Dwarf Fans

First conversion were these “helldiggers”, although i realise miners dont exactly have an evil counterpart.

Next: lord Helblindi on shieldbearers.

Working on Irondrake/fireglaive/blunderbuss models. About half of these are finished.

I’m also planning an infernal guard unit with HW and shields, but for now, only this one guy is finished.

These are the only evil guys that got painted so far. The other 13 are still waiting for paint.

When I finally had Tamurkhan, I couldn’t really wait to make bull centaurs, and the plan arose to use juggernaut bodies with ogre torsos on top.

Two guys are being built at the moment, a third one is planned.

And bully number 2:

On the subject of these bull centaurs: I have zero experions with LoA, so what weaponry is best for these guys? I’m planning gw as these seem the best by general consensus, or am I wrong at that?

Let me know what you think, and expect an update pretty soon.

Yodrin:

Cool stuff!!

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Fuggit Khan:

It’s always nice to see a new army blog, thanks for sharing your work with all of us.

I especially like the ‘notched’ ax you did on your IG guy, it has a nice cog/gear look to it :hat off

Helblindi:

Thanks! I was actually going for battle-damaged, but I overdid it a little. Glad it can still be interpreted as cogs :smiley:

Bloodbeard:

Welcome the CDO. This is a great start to a force. Like your concept too. Decent work here.

You should get a hold of some chaos defiler heads, their size fits perfectly to ogres. And since there are 3 in a set, they should be easy to find.

That’ll chaos up your bull centaurs even more. Nice monsters.

I’m using chaos steeds as bull centaurs, with mantic ogres. They are a bit smaller. Then I have a juggernaugt for taur’uk. Don’t think I’ll go ogre though, a bit too fat for my taste. Thinking armored mordor troll or perhaps a minotaur.

Helblindi:

Thanks, I’m not entirely sold on the defiler heads, but I’ll give it some thoughts.

Mantic ogres seemed better to me too, but I found regular ogres at a convention, and didn’t have the patience to pass up on that and order from mantic :slight_smile: The GW ogres are too fat, but I’m hoping to cover most of that with curly beards.

Ben Saunders:

I’m all in favour of dual use models (especially when not everywhere accepts CD rules), though I’m not sure about the ‘half evil’ fluff.

Nice work on the models though. I look forward to seeing more.

Admiral:

Full evil or bust! :wink: Nice conversions, though. That colour scheme looks hard to pull off. It’ll be interesting to see it on the whole army. :slight_smile:

Helblindi:

I think pure evil is a pretty stupid concept. I understand achieving your goals at all cost, I understand cruelty to a point, but just wanting to destroy the world? I can’t imagine a mind like that. So that is my main problem with chaos: they want to destroy everything, but why? Are they that insecure, that they have to kill everybody else to prove their worth? Is it just cruelty? Are they so unhappy they have to work out their frustrations on all of the world?

I do understand genocide just to claim land or resources, I understand war to get slaves, but what is so interesting about world domination? I’ll never know.

So maybe my chaos dwarves think alike about the vision of the empire of Zharr. Maybe they think it is in fact madness, to just want to watch everything burn, and so they abandon the empire and look for a place to just live. And in the process, they find and rescue a band of homeless dwarves and they start a hold together. I think I can write up some fluff that sort of explains that. But I understand that it goes against a whole lot of warhammer fluff.

Or maybe, as both armies grow bigger, I just split them up for good.

I don’t think I will follow the one color scheme throughout the army. My regular dwarves have like three clan schemes already, and chaos just isn’t chaos if they are all uniformly colored, in my opinion. So I’m planning to experiment with a lot of bright, contrasting color schemes for my other units, and probably some darker schemes here and there aswell. Blue and orange will always be my favorite, however.

Admiral:

It’s not bad if your fluff goes against WHFB fluff and the taste of others. Follow your own vision for your collection! Besides, it could turn out very good since it have to swim against the current.

Of course the full evil in Warhammer and other fiction is over the top and ridiculous no matter how you wrangle with it. It’s absurd yet part of the charm, but one don’t have to buy into it. :wink:

Nice plans on making the army suitably chaotic in the colour scheme! I like that kind of thing, just like including Beastmen, Daemons, WoC and CD allied contingents in whatever Chaos army you happen to collect. Good luck with the army, you’re off to a good start!

Ben Saunders:

I just want to clarify, in case I caused offence, that I only meant ‘your fluff is not to my personal taste’. It is your army and you’re free to come up with whatever fluff you like (or not to bother).

I’m no expert on Dwarf fluff, and there’s not been much (any?) Chaos Dwarf fluff in quite a while, but my understanding is that the two hate each other. Saying you have some who are cooperate peacefully would be rather like saying you have some High Elves and Dark Elves who joined forces; it rather jars against the existing fluff.

I think pure evil is a pretty stupid concept. I understand achieving your goals at all cost, I understand cruelty to a point, but just wanting to destroy the world? I can’t imagine a mind like that. So that is my main problem with chaos: they want to destroy everything, but why?

Helblindi
It’s true that they’re slightly caricatured bad guys, but I don’t find their motives that implausible. Remember, for the followers of Chaos, their gods are real. They may want to destroy the material world, but it’s not the only world for them - their concerns is with other things.
It’s not bad if your fluff goes against WHFB fluff and the taste of others. Follow your own vision for your collection! Besides, it could turn out very good since it have to swim

Admiral
Quoted for truth, just to emphasise that I’m only voicing my own tastes. Probably you wouldn’t approve of everything I do with my army (including being too lazy to really come up with any of my own fluff…).

At the end of the day, I think everyone should do what they like with their own army, but be tolerant of others who do what they want with theirs.

Helblindi:

Ben, I got a similar PM from Admiral. Let me assure you, no offense was taken :). I see this as a discussion on fluff.

Dwarves tend to not even acknowledge Chaos Dwarves exist at all, so yeah, my story is improbable. That’s why they try to keep their hold hidden, because no other Dwarf of Chaos Dwarf would ever allow such a thing to exist.

As to pure evil, I suppose it does originate in the chaos gods, so then it’s their motives I don’t quite get. I’m now toying with the idea that maybe my CDs are heretics, with a different, less evil view of Hashut, or a downright different god.

So no hard feelings at all, we all play with variants of the same awesome race :smiley:

Helblindi:

All right, two weeks have passed, and two bull centaurs are finished. Except I’m still doubting if I should give them uppper body armor. I had to support the prancing one, because he kept falling over.

I also assembled two of the gnoblars that came with the ogre box (the two that weren’t carrying large amounts of meat around). I think they look really good, so I’m thinking of buying a box or two for hobgoblin stand-ins. They don’t get bows, though, so for that I will probably turn to night goblins.

I have to give the warhammer a break for now, as all the thoughts of conversions and how I’m gonna paint this and that are actually messing with my sleep :slight_smile: So I’ll start again in two weeks or so. In the meantime, I have a comic that isn’t gonna draw itself, so I need to put some time into that too.

Cheers!

Hel

cornixt:

Looking really nice, can’t wait to see them finished.

Yodrin:

Yea, love those, great work!!

Helblindi:

Thanks a lot! They turned out better than I had expected.

Couldn’t make the third one yet, as I’m out of green stuff, so he’ll have to wait until after the break.

Ben Saunders:

I’ve not seen this idea before, but it does indeed work well. I look forward to seeing them finished.

I take it you’ll fill in the Khorne symbols when you get more green stuff.

Helblindi:

Thank you. Yes, I kind of forgot to fill those symbols, will do that, unless I can somehow convert them to Hashut runes.

Admiral:

Those BC conversions works well!

Helblindi:

The past two days have been all about CD conversions, and here’s the results:

Night Hobgoblin Archers. Got 20 of these, but some were a bit photo-shy. I made most of these a few weeks ago. Champ got a crossbow because there were only 17 bows, and an archer champ without a bow seems silly.

Champ still needs a little touch-up (like several other models to come).

More goblin madness: a block of 30 Hobgoblin Cutthroats. Mantic orcs for champ and banner, mainly gnoblar fighters otherwise. I don’t even know what the two speargoblins are, found them in a bitz box at the hobby shop. And of course a slavedriver to keep everyone (more or less) in line.

Some close-ups maybe?

If Dwarfs can be corrupted by the forces of chaos, surely it must have some effect on goblins too. It’s hard to get in a picture, but this one has two heads:

Last goblin conversions: two "wolf"riders, who will serve as khans for the time being. In time, I plan to mix em in with proper wolf riders (the ponies have only one pose, so a whole unit of them will look stupid) and make some decent khans.

I practically finished my Bull Centaurs. They need some final touches, but I’m ready to use them on the battlefield. (hopefully I can use my CD army for the first time next sunday)

An attempt to turn the Khorne symbol into a Hashut rune:

This worked out a little better:

The unit champion caught trampling an elf into the ground (thank you for the inspiration, Fuggit Khan!)

Close-up of the beard, cause it’s my best one so far:

All he needs is a little band to ty his dreads together, and he’s ready for slaughter.

And finally, very far from finished: a Lamassu conversion:

Plans for this: more manes and some more beards, add wings, some kind of saddle (maybe magnetized) for the female sorcerer I’m trying to put together. She looks horrible atm, so no pics.

I think I’m keeping the feet. I know they should be hooves, but I don’t think I can make better hooves than the feet he has now.