[Archive] Hellcannon in 8th

Grimstonefire:

I don’t know anything specifically about the errata for this, but here is some related info, if anyone is interested.

Monsters and Handlers

A monster takes a wound (after saves), Roll a D6, and on a 5 or 6 the wound is taken by one of it’s handlers instead.

Handlers are placed behind the monsters. You cannot attack them separately: If attacked, they are moved out of the way. They cannot be attacked, but can attack back. When the monster is killed the handlers are removed.

As it has random movement when rampaging, the Hellcannon will not cause a panic test on the charged enemy unit.

Then the usual stuff for stone throwers about not guessing and no partials etc.  Hopefully it stays as S5 (10), though I suspect this may be toned down a bit…

Gar Shadowfame:

But remember there is no partial hits, touched=hit

AGPO:

The Hellcannon is awesome under the new rules it must be said. I don’t give a damn whether the crew form up with it or not tbh

Da Crusha:

I don't know anything specifically about the errata for this, but here is some related info, if anyone is interested.

Monsters and Handlers
A monster takes a wound (after saves), Roll a D6, and on a 5 or 6 the wound is taken by one of it's handlers instead.

Handlers are placed behind the monsters. You cannot attack them separately: If attacked, they are moved out of the way. They cannot be attacked, but can attack back. When the monster is killed the handlers are removed.

As it has random movement when rampaging, the Hellcannon will not cause a panic test on the charged enemy unit.

Then the usual stuff for stone throwers about not guessing and no partials etc.  Hopefully it stays as S5 (10), though I suspect this may be toned down a bit...

Grimstonefire
stone throwers are now Strength 3(9) and I didnt see anything about voiding armour saves. if the hellcannon stays 5(10) it would truly be a beast.

Gar Shadowfame:

Co stone throwers dont ignore armor save anymore

Thommy H:

Wouldn’t it just be easier to wait for the Warriors of Chaos FAQ to figure out how it works instead of randomly speculating and trying to figure it out for ourselves?

Grimstonefire:

I was just giving people a taster of the sorts of rules that are relevant, and some discussion. :wink:

Obviously yes, we will need to see what the actual errata is.

Gar Shadowfame:

i’m sure about no “ignore armor saves” and “touch=hit” from rumors on warseer, and this 2 were easy to predict since GW tested it on skaven weapons.

Border Reiver:

And having looked at the book, I can confirm that the “touch=hit” bit is there, as is the models getting an armour save. However, the Hellcannon, like the Bret trebuchet will get to keep their higher S hits, if only because their rules entries uses the phrase “acts as a stone thrower, but hits at S5/S10”.

Whereas the Death rocket and Earthshaker merely act as stone throwers

phierlihy:

Took my Hellcannon to two 8th edition fights today. It ended up in melee in both games and did well. Randomizing all hits how means the Hellcannon effectively has 8 wounds instead of 5 and Handlers cannot be targetted.

The template dropping is horrid. I was flushing 16 Dwarves per hit down the drain. Against Lizardmen, I target the Slaan under the hole, he missed his Look Out, Sir!, missed his Ward Save, and then I hit him for 1 wound. Such an anti-climax =(

Xander:

I can’t wait to use my Hellcannons in 8th. :smiley:

Willmark:

MMMMMwwwwwaahhhhaahhhaha all shall tremble at our feet. Literally.

Kered:

I’m glad the hellcannon is one of my all time favorite models, now if only I can get round to getting one.

Thommy H:

Took my Hellcannon to two 8th edition fights today.  It ended up in melee in both games and did well.  Randomizing all hits how means the Hellcannon effectively has 8 wounds instead of 5 and Handlers cannot be targetted.

The template dropping is horrid.  I was flushing 16 Dwarves per hit down the drain.  Against Lizardmen, I target the Slaan under the hole, he missed his Look Out, Sir!, missed his Ward Save, and then I hit him for 1 wound.  Such an anti-climax =(

phierlihy
And the rules may end up completely different when the Warriors of Chaos 8th Edition FAQ comes out...

It's the same thing as everyone saying how Swordmasters and White Lions are going to be unstoppable in 8th: we have no idea what changes their FAQs will make, and so far anyone playing an "8th Edition" game is going on pure speculation. Even if you've seen and absorbed the rulebook, the FAQs are likely to clarify anything that seems like it might be too good at this stage.

phierlihy:

Well put! Everything we see has to be taken with a grain of salt because we have no idea what’s going to change in a few weeks. Right now I’m just trying to get a handle on the core rules.

Baggronor:

everyone saying how Swordmasters and White Lions are going to be unstoppable in 8th
Exactly: when everyone heard ASF + higher initiative grants re-rolls to hit the immediate reaction was that HEs with great weapons would rule the game; then they learned that ASF and ASL cancel out.

The FAQs will be very interesting for each army; currently wondering whether my Spirit Hosts count as monstrous infantry or not...

dedwrekka:

I don't know anything specifically about the errata for this, but here is some related info, if anyone is interested.

Monsters and Handlers
A monster takes a wound (after saves), Roll a D6, and on a 5 or 6 the wound is taken by one of it's handlers instead.

Then the usual stuff for stone throwers about not guessing and no partials etc.  Hopefully it stays as S5 (10), though I suspect this may be toned down a bit...

Grimstonefire
More likely than not the unit type is going to stay as a "Unique Unit", which is one of the new unit types in the rulebook (Thank Hashut!), like the Doomwheel or Screaming Bell. Which means that all rules stay the same, it's a FAQ not a re-write after all, but it follows some rules for other unit types with the exceptions in their army books.

Stone Throwers not guessing, being able to indirect fire, multiple terror tests on units, Thunder Stomp.... yeah, I'd say the Hellcannon is finally worth it's points
Took my Hellcannon to two 8th edition fights today.  It ended up in melee in both games and did well.  Randomizing all hits how means the Hellcannon effectively has 8 wounds instead of 5 and Handlers cannot be targetted.

The template dropping is horrid.  I was flushing 16 Dwarves per hit down the drain.  Against Lizardmen, I target the Slaan under the hole, he missed his Look Out, Sir!, missed his Ward Save, and then I hit him for 1 wound.  Such an anti-climax =(

phierlihy
And the rules may end up completely different when the Warriors of Chaos 8th Edition FAQ comes out...

It's the same thing as everyone saying how Swordmasters and White Lions are going to be unstoppable in 8th: we have no idea what changes their FAQs will make, and so far anyone playing an "8th Edition" game is going on pure speculation. Even if you've seen and absorbed the rulebook, the FAQs are likely to clarify anything that seems like it might be too good at this stage.

Thommy H
I doubt they're going to change much. They're FAQs not rewrites. The Always Strikes First and Always Strikes Last combination is well plotted out in the rulebook, even with unit examples. Though anyone saying they're going to be unstoppable is really forgetting that they were actually better in 7th as they would simply always strike first.

Xander:

How are we feeling about the Hellcannon post-FAQ?

It seems to be a pretty fierce unit now. Very much worth the points. I need to put together my Hellcannon and pair it with my Hellfire Cannon.

When I think about it, with the new Monster/Handler rules in effect, you could also use the Hellcannon rules to represent a Kollossus now. In my model’s case, I can remove the crew from the shoulders when the Handlers take wounds, and he is decently represented in combat even.

mattbird:

They are SO good now.

Fequiil:

They are SO good now.

mattbird
hell(cannon) yes!