[Archive] Help a new player out!

Calriel:

So here is your chance to do a good deed by helping out a long time Warhammer veteran. I first started playing Warhammer when the old CD were still on the shelves (this should tell you how old I am ;))

By now I have two fully painted Warhammer armies and I finally have the money I never had as a kid to make an old wish of mine come true: start playing with Chaos Dwarfs! (I am sure you all know the feeling)

The Forgeworld models surely make anyone want to play this army.

However, I do have a few questions.

Maybe answers to them are scattered throughout threads in this forum, but searches only reveal few non-related or way-too-many-to-find-anything threads. So here is me combining all my Newbie questions in one post…

1. What exactly should I order to make a viable list?

I was thinking of 40 regular dwarfs, 40 fire glaives dwarfs + cmd groups, 6 centaurs, 3 k’daai the set of 3 characters and one of each remaining model (warmachines, etc.) I’m aiming to play a game of around 2500 pts. What am I still missing?

2. Are we expecting any more models to be released? I am missing the K’daai destroyer, the Infernal Ironsworn and a bunch of hobgoblins. Will it pay to wait it out or will we be waiting till the cows come home?

3. I know we used to have blunderbusses, and I’ve seen some insane conversions. I am a decent enough painter, but terrible with green stuff. Is there any way to get blunderbuss bits or an approximation thereof?

4. Same with Great Weapons. Is there a way to make a Great Weapon unit without sculpting one’s ass off with green stuff?

Thanks a bunch for getting me started guys!

Sebastian

Dînadan:

1. What exactly should I order to make a viable list?
I was thinking of 40 regular dwarfs, 40 fire glaives dwarfs + cmd groups, 6 centaurs, 3 k'daai the set of 3 characters and one of each remaining model (warmachines, etc.) I'm aiming to play a game of around 2500 pts. What am I still missing?

Calriel
I'm afraid I can't help you much with this question as I'm new to playing with CDs myself, so will let someone else take this one.
2. Are we expecting any more models to be released? I am missing the K'daai destroyer, the Infernal Ironsworn and a bunch of hobgoblins. Will it pay to wait it out or will we be waiting till the cows come home?
As far as I'm aware there are no plans for FW to release hobgoblins. You'll either have to eBay the old metal ones, use goblins, or kitbash something.
Not sure on the others. I have a feeling that Ironsworn wont be released and you'll just have to use regular FW CDs.
3. I know we used to have blunderbusses, and I've seen some insane conversions. I am a decent enough painter, but terrible with green stuff. Is there any way to get blunderbuss bits or an approximation thereof?
eBay is your best bet if you want the old metal blunderbusses, however these are one piece, so you wont be able to put them on the FW stuff if that's what you have in mind.

Alternatively, there a company known as the Russian Alternative have just released blunderbuss armed CDs in the same style as FW.

If you're dead set on using the FW CDs, it'd probably be best to buy dwarf hand guns from a bits site and glue them onto the FW minis in place of fireglaives. If you also want the flared end, then it's easy enough to make a cone out of greenstuff and stick it on the end, so amazing greenstuff skills aren't a must for such a conversion.
4. Same with Great Weapons. Is there a way to make a Great Weapon unit without sculpting one's ass off with green stuff?
You can try eBaying the old plastic big hat axedwarfs - they're armed with a big axe which could easily pass as great weapons.

If you don't want big hats and want to stick to FW, then bits order great weapons from a bits site. Unless I'm mistaken the FW CDs have separate shields and hand weapons, so all you need to do is leave those off and glue on the great weapons in their place (at most you'll have to remove arms and shorten the haft to a suitable length).

Xx9millxX:

I’m fairly new as well but i will try to help as best as I can…

1. If you only plan on doing 2500 pts you don’t need 1 of everything … Do a little research on what everyone else uses … Seems like you have the tamurkhan book seeing as you know all the new units… Make an army list and only get what you need for now … As far as warms chimes you probably only need 1 or 2 death shrieker rockets, maybe a magma cannon… And either a mortar cannon or hell cannon( from warriors o chaos) … No one really seems to use ironsworn. So your probably better of with your 2 big blocks of infernal guard . The 6 bull cnetaurs are probably cool and you could maybe do 2 units of 3. And the 3 heros are normally mandatory ( 1 for sorcerer prophet, a castellan(bsb), and /or daemonsmith) …

Like I said if your only doing 2500 points you’ll find out they add up fairly quick …

2. From what I’ve read and heard , not anytime soon if at all ( If you really like the destoroyer though… Which a lot of people do… Your Gona have to convert or use an alternative model … Check some of the threads on here for ideas as what you could use. The big Dwarf model from world of warcraft is one of my faves)

3 and 4.

Like the guy above me said you can either use the old models for blunderbuss, reg goblins, or the “harquebussers” from the company “Russian Alternative” , who is also coming out with great weapon warriors and hobgoblins in the very near future …

But also like he said … If your are intent on using FW models your best bet is either don’t use hobgoblins or blunderbusses or convert

Calriel:

Thanks, Dinadan and Xx9millxX for all your insights :slight_smile: I think I could wing a greenstuff flared end on a handgun or other to double as blunderbuss, but will let everyone know once my models get here :slight_smile:

If anyone else still has their two cents to add, please do so!

Bloodbeard:

1. way too many miniatures man. 80 IG (40 with FG) is 1160 points no furthers upgrades. Insane. 40 IG for the very rare hoard, you’ll never field 40 fireglaives too. You won’t need 1 of each warmachine either. The Deadquake won’t be used that often (cool mini though). Bring 2 deathshriekers and a magma instead.

You need 6 k’daii in a unit for them to work properly. And get 3 BCs and a Tau’rk (who if not used as hero is fielded as champion).

There are a lot of 2500 point lists in of the forum. Check them out, read the discussions and experiences there. Don’t waste your money on miniatures that might never make it too the table.

2. Rumours (and comments from FW) puts the destroyer for a 1Q 2014 release. Don’t expect ironsworn miniatures - you have to use IG. FW have no plans of making hobgoblins (confirmed from FW)

Otherwise buy the Ogre Kingdoms mammoth og a 40 k chaos demon engine like slaugterbrute og defiler. Paint them like metal/fire monsters and field a nice destroyer.

3. Use the fireglaives as blunderbusses if you don’t want to convert. There are no FW models, so it completely fine to use fireglaives as proxies.

4. Greatweapons can be done without greenstuff skills. But you simply cut of the top of the hand weapon and both hands. You turn the hands on the wrists and glue them back on. Then you put in a piece of plastic rod between the hands. And the handweapon top is glues back on. Voila - easy GWs. Looks like they came straight from FW.

You should check out .

But seriously my biggest advice is: Check . There are so many 2400/2500 with many tips and tricks. Don’t buy, work, paint a lot of miniatures you won’t use. … unless you really really like that part of the hobby ofcause. Just start your focus on the gaming part of the army at least.