[Archive] help me with this plz

Samanos:

So i have made the following list (2400 pts btw) and i was considering changes.

my main thinking was if it is worth replacing the lvl 4 with 2 lvl 2/ lvl1. that way i will be able to give rerolls to both of my cannons and maybe use some magic items like chalice along with the dispell scroll. the problem with this is that it leaves me vulnerable in the magic phase and this is my main concern. what are your thoughts in this? keep in mind that in my local metal all lores have a 5 dice max and the lores ofshadow/hashut/death have 4 dice max.

Sorcerer-Prophet, lvl4, Talisman of Preservation, Scroll, Lore of Fire - 370 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, BSB - 130 Pts.

Hobgoblin Khan, Shield, LA, Giant Wolf - 56 Pts.

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, GW, M, S - 342 Pts.

20 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S - 260 Pts.

6 Bull Centaur Renders, GW, M, S - 315 Pts.

Iron Daemon War Engine - 285 Pts.

Magma Cannon, Hellbound - 170 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

K’daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Total: 2398

Time of Madness:

Alright here it goes, enjoy :slight_smile:

- First off, you have the point cost wrong on the first unit of Infernal Guard. They should be 365pts not 342pts. That puts your whole list over by 20+pts.

- At 2400pts you need the level 4! Keep in mind the level 4 is your most important model on the board. You’ll want to equip him to last as long as possible. Which means taking the following items. Preservation, enchanted shield and healing potion. This gives him a 2+ followed by a 4+ ward save and the potion gives him some much needed help incase he miscasts early on or gets sniped by some death magic etc.

- The bsb is your second most important model and needs some equipment. Take a shield and the mask of the furnace. This gives him a 2+ save followed by a 4+ ward save.

- At 2400pts you should really have at least 1 level 1 smith. Take one to help out a warmachine. Give him a scroll and the charmed shield.

- 23 infernal guard is not enough to bunker your level 4/bsb. Take at least 28 (making them 30 strong) with the lichebone banner. The lichebone banner gives your bsb/level 4 a 3+ ward vs annoying death magic snipes.

- I realize the smaller unit of guard is helping you get you to the floor for core points. If you want to stick to a small support unit of guard I’ve found a small unit of 12 with fireglaives can work well. Keep the small unit of guard near the larger one to act like an empire detachment. Many people don’t like small unit of fireglaives for support, but this unit works well for me and I find them better then babysitting a unit of 20 hobgoblins.

- I like taking the banner of swiftness on the centaurs. It allows them to keep up with the destroyer and give him some support.

- I prefer hellbound on the irondaemon rather then the magma cannon.

Hope some of the above points help you out.

Time of Madness

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I would echo what Time of Madness commented and say his oppinion is worth paying attention to (he KNOWS Chaos Dwarves!).  Personally I find a 24 dwarf unit plenty to babysit my Sorcerer-Prophet but your play style may want more.  What I would change is the Great Weapons on the Infernal Guard.  You already have plenty of high-strength attacks in your Iron Daemon, Centaurs, and K’daii Destroyer so I’d take those points back.  Personally I find a 3+/6+ warrior is pretty awesome for the points so I think the Great Weapons are overkill.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Time of Madness:

Nice point on the GW. The other problem with them is to get the most attacks/damage from them you need to deploy a wider unit. I’d rather keep the bunker 5 wide and make it deeper so you can take some hits without losing the rank bonus. The 3+/6+ is far superior to the GW in my opinion.

Now if Infernal Guard had 2 attacks for example you’d see the GW’s being used a lot more…

Time of Madness

Baggronor:

I’m going to offer some slightly conflicting advice, just to confuse :slight_smile:

So I’ve been running something a bit similar, and this is wildly different to my original list:

Lv4 with Earthing Rod and Enchanted Shield - Hashut

BSB with shield

2 Wolfkhans with cheap magic weapons, one with Dragonbane Gem

20 IG

2 x 40 Hobgoblins

Iron Daemon (Hellbound)

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

6 Fireborn

Destroyer

IG are a bit rubbish for their points really - they are too slow and don’t win any combats against anything of a similar value. I minimise them in under 3k these days.

I basically shove the Hobbo blocks, ID and Destroyer in people’s faces and see if they can deal with it. While the Hobbos tarpit stuff, the Destroyer can safely smash whatever looks like a good target. The Khans are there to remove chaff that would divert him.

The IG bunker sits near the artillery but in range of the Hobbo blocks to keep them in combat with the general’s Ld and BSB re-roll.

The Lv4 throws 6 dice at Flames of Azgorh/Ash Storm as my group don’t use weirdy 4 dice comp. He needs to have a big impact or there is just no point in him turning up - he is ridiculously expensive for his frankly average wizarding abilities. You are definitely paying for the power of his spells (and then some), a 4 dice cap is BS imo. Don’t believe the internet, LoA is not inherently broken. If anything needs comping, its the war machines, not the magic dice.

At minimum I would give your Wolfkhan a magic weapon (Shrieking Blade is good) so he can mug spirit hosts or they will block up the Destroyer. I would get a second Khan really, they are super-handy.

- I prefer hellbound on the irondaemon rather then the magma cannon.
Definitely. T8 means it can hold up Iron Guts and Chaos Warriors, etc - the sort of units you can’t fight with IG or Hobbos. Anything that fights it needs to be at 6s to wound or (again) there is no point in it turning up.

Samanos:

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!!:slight_smile:

@Time of Madness thanks for pointing my mistake, my army builder program had issues it seemed. downloaded the new version and think it works fine now.

@Bagronnor I am not a big fan of the dice caps in magic but i play ETC so…

so after considering the topics raised i made some changes and ended up with this:

Sorcerer-Prophet, lvl4, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Lore of Fire - 350 Pts.

Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 125 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Shield, The Mask of the Furnace, BSB - 197 Pts.

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk, GW, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm - 215 Pts.

Hobgoblin Khan, Shield, LA, Shrieking Blade, Giant Wolf - 66 Pts.

13 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Fireglaives, M - 231 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, Lichebone Pennant - 371 Pts.

4 Bull Centaur Renders, GW, M, S, Standard of Discipline - 230 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

Total: 2400

AND this:

Sorcerer-Prophet, lvl4, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Sceptre of Stability, Lore of Fire - 365 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Shield, The Mask of the Furnace, BSB - 197 Pts.

Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 125 Pts.

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk, GW, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm - 215 Pts.

13 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Fireglaives, M - 231 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, Lichebone Pennant - 371 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

5 Bull Centaur Renders, GW, M, S, Standard of Discipline - 280 Pts.

Total: 2399

the lists have some minor differences but the general principle is the same. I ended up with a taururk instead of a iron demon but i will give the evil train a go as well in the future. Do you think these are better??