[Archive] Hobby FAQ for new members?

Grimstonefire:

I am going to try and update our FAQ to be more useful for new members with regards to the hobby side of things.

We have things all over the place that are good, but not cohesively linked anywhere, and certainly not instantly obvious to new members.

So ignoring for the moment where this information currently is in the forum, what FAQ do you think we should include for the hobby side of things?

My ultimate aim is to link most of the stickies we have at the moment on CDO to a FAQ. The forum and rules FAQ etc I can update later.

I’d especially like to hear from the newest members, what would you like to see listed?

Astranagant:

Ideally I’d like to see a hobby/conversion article linked for every Ravening Hordes unit… particularly out of current plastic and metal kits.

Grimstonefire:

When you say an ‘article’ do you mean a hobby guide like a pdf for each thing?  

That would take a while but it would be possible by assembling pdfs from the things in the compiled conversions sticky.

Where possible I’d like to try and avoid creating downloads, as inevitably they will require regular updating with the next cool thing.

But it might be possible to do this using the forum somehow, like having a showcase gallery only for completed unpainted conversions.  This way the staff would not need to scour the forum to update it and it would always remain up to date!

I could then provide links in the FAQ to each thread?

Realistically it would be impossible for the staff to maintain a fully updated list of all conversions, so either we chose a selection of the best or the members update showcase threads themselves. Either way links to threads would be included.

Kera foehunter:

my faq is hobby is when is it going to be done

so.sad:

When you say an 'article' do you mean a hobby guide like a pdf for each thing?  

That would take a while but it would be possible by assembling pdfs from the things in the compiled conversions sticky.

Where possible I'd like to try and avoid creating downloads, as inevitably they will require regular updating with the next cool thing.

But it might be possible to do this using the forum somehow, like having a showcase gallery only for completed unpainted conversions.  This way the staff would not need to scour the forum to update it and it would always remain up to date!

I could then provide links in the FAQ to each thread?

Realistically it would be impossible for the staff to maintain a fully updated list of all conversions, so either we chose a selection of the best or the members update showcase threads themselves.  Either way links to threads would be included.

Grimstonefire
I really like Astranagants idea. But you are right, downloadable pdf's isn't the way to go for an online faq. You are also right that the stuff couldn't manage to keep everything up to date. But you can let the community help you.

How about this:

Create a new forum section called "Faq" like this

• FAQ
  • Background
  • CD general
  • High Sorcerer
  • Overlord
  • Gaming
  • general Tactics
  • unit specific tactics (for each unit)
  • modelling and painting
  • general Tips&Tricks (on sculpting, painting...)
  • Unit specific How To's
  • general
  • everything that is helpfull but doesn't match any other to
  • pic

Then you could lock this entire area.

the general idea is the following:
After reading through ravening hordes some guy asks himself "are sneaky gits useful"?
Then he could go to: "FAQ - gaming - sneaky gits" and would find some tactics using sneaky gits there.

After some playtesting using proxys he decides that he really likes them and wants to know how to build them.
Then he would browse to "FAQ - modelling - sneaky gits" and would find an instruction about how to make sneaky gits.

Of course this would be terribly empty at the beginning but there already is lots of stuff floating around that fits the individual sections. There is some nice fan-art (fluff) that could be linked for example by Thommy H. Also we already have some nice tactics and modelling how-to's and some things could simply be linked to the wiki.

The only problem is that all these posts are all around the Forum and nobody finds them unless you know where they are. Furthermore they all have a different layout.

This could be bypassed by developing a template (an easy one only using phpbb) that sets for example the color and size for the headline, all modelling steps as a numberized list etc.

Whenever you see a post that would fit the FAQ simply ask the poster to repost it using the template and then move the new post to the correct section of the FAQ. If necessary the poster can edit the post later.

You could also run an Artisan contest on "write a usefull FAQ entry"... ;)

hope this helps xD

Pyro Stick:

How about this:

Create a new forum section called "Faq" like this

• FAQ
  • Background
  • CD general
  • High Sorcerer
  • Overlord
  • Gaming
  • general Tactics
  • unit specific tactics (for each unit)
  • modelling and painting
  • general Tips&Tricks (on sculpting, painting...)
  • Unit specific How To's
  • general
  • everything that is helpfull but doesn't match any other t
  • opic

Then you could lock this entire area.

the general idea is the following:
After reading through ravening hordes some guy asks himself "are sneaky gits useful"?
Then he could go to: "FAQ - gaming - sneaky gits" and would find some tactics using sneaky gits there.

After some playtesting using proxys he decides that he really likes them and wants to know how to build them.
Then he would browse to "FAQ - modelling - sneaky gits" and would find an instruction about how to make sneaky gits.

so.sad
People seem to be forgetting that there is a Wiki for a lot of this stuff. There is already a sneaky git conversion on the wiki: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sneaky_Git_Conversions

And theres also a section for the Sneaky Gits in the Tactics page: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Chaos_Dwarf_Tactics

I think an FAQ just needs to be one stickied thread in the Chaos Dwarf Discussion forum with all the most common questions and links to the answers.

so.sad:

People seem to be forgetting that there is a Wiki for a lot of this stuff. There is already a sneaky git conversion on the wiki: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sneaky_Git_Conversions

And theres also a section for the Sneaky Gits in the Tactics page: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Chaos_Dwarf_Tactics

I think an FAQ just needs to be one stickied thread in the Chaos Dwarf Discussion forum with all the most common questions and links to the answers.

Pyro Stick

Also we already have some nice tactics and modelling how-to's and some things could simply be linked to the wiki

so.sad
This is exactly why I chose sneaky gits as an example. The required articles already exist (in the forum and on the wiki) but since people are lazy and won't search alot its much more user friendly to find them all in one place!

As you said, people often seem to forget about the wiki... this is why the information that can be found there should be linked!

cornixt:

Sounds like the [[Contents]] page of the wiki to me.

so.sad:

Sounds like the [[Contents]] page of the wiki to me.

cornixt
Great! Until now I wasn't aware that this one existed. Why worrie about the FAQ then? Just link this and everything will be fine!

*returns to the contents page*

Xander:

Hehehe, it’s clear we need to start up a new Wiki campaign to make people more aware of what’s there, and how they contribute. Maybe I will make a video about it…

Kera foehunter:

I think we need a stickie on all the bfsp stuff to help the new people

Nicodemus:

I think we need a stickie on all the bfsp  stuff to help the new people

Kera foehunter
I agree, even one large BFSP compilation guide with a couple of example photos and links to all of the various threads and WOH issues.  Although even then... some people are still going to miss it. I think that says more about them than it does us ;)  Hopefully it will just mean that more people find it quickly and easily.

~N

Dead Kennedy:

I’d definitely love to see one. There seem to be a lot of valuable info on this site, but it does take a lot of searching to find, and some people are stuck on slower connections that make searching for quality tutorials really difficult at times.

One arguement for making a PDF: it would hold all the articles to a higher standard. Not all tutorials are created equal, and having the opportunity to publish them in a more comprehensive way (like a PDF) could inspire them to redo them or add a new twist, show their latest work, etc.