[Archive] Hobgoblin Bullfrog Riders

Grimstonefire:

I had a rather cool idea for those WF models that wouldn’t make them seem like the CD were nurgle worshipers.

Imagine the Plague Toads painted like this (with some greenstuff scales on), with a hobgoblin ontop:

[attachment=2498]

Hobgoblin Bullfrog Riders                      26 Pts/ model

.              M	  WS  BS  S   T   W   I   A   Ld
Bullfrog       6   3   0   4   4   2   1   2   5
Hobgoblin      4   3   3   3   3   1   2   1   6
Hobgoblin Boss 4   3   3   3   3   1   2   2   6
Unit Size:  3+    

Unit Type:  Monstrous Cavalry

Equipment:  Hand Weapon

Options:  May have bow (+3 pts), light armour (+1 pt) and/or shield (+1 pt).

Promote one Hobgoblin to Boss for +10pts.

Special Rules:

Immune to Psychology

Fear

Flaming Attacks

Ward Save (5+), 3+ against Flaming Attacks.

Daemonic Attacks

Daemonic Instability

Animosity

Thommy H:

If they’re supposed to be Daemons, you might want to call them something besides “Bullfrogs”, since bullfrogs are a real thing and really not that menacing (as long as you don’t lick poison ones).

Also, they seem very cheap for Monstrous Cavalry. The cost you’ve listed is about average for heavy cavalry, and these are significantly tougher and more dangerous than that. Off the top of my head, I’d say 45 would be more realistic.

cornixt:

I agree that the points cost is far too low. They are essentially statted as slower Cold Ones with better rules, so they’d be close to a Cold One Knight even allowing for a HG rather than DE rider. If the idea is to make them less chaosy then I wouldn’t bother with any Daemomic rules at all.

Grimstonefire:

Incidently aside from the Flaming attacks, animosity, 3+ ward against flaming attacks and the hobgoblin they are the same as the warhammer forge experimental rules for the plague toads (who are 24 pts and have poisoned attacks and swamp strider).  Granted it doesn’t mean the WF rules are balanced.  

How about this then:

Profile, options etc same as before (or would I need to drop a wound?)

45 pts/ model

Special Rules:

Fear

Flaming Attacks

4+ Scaly Skin

3+ Ward against Flaming Attacks.

Animosity

Thommy H:

If you drop a wound then they’re just Cavalry.

If Forgeworld think that 24 points is a fair cost for any Monstrous Cavalry, they have no idea what they’re doing. Bloodcrushers - pretty much the only comparable thing in the game - cost 70 points each. Granted they’re extremely tough and dangerous in combat, but in terms of being 2-Wound Monstrous Cav, you have to start with them and work backwards.

Grimstonefire:

Sorry, I didn’t phrase that particularly well.

The 24 pts was for a Monstrous Beast, not a monstrous cav with rider. :wink:

I used that as a starting point for working out the cost, but I’d forgotten about the added benefits of switching categories. 45 points seems a lot more realistic. I imagine the WF ridden toads will be a similar cost.

Thommy H:

Oh I see. Yeah, that makes a bit more sense.