[Archive] Hobgoblin full command or not?

RichardC1967:

I plan on adding two units of 20 hobgob archers to my CD army basically just to harass advancing enemies(light cav…skirmishers etc) with volley fire…and I plan on keeping them close to my CD units, should they have full command? or should I use the extra points for other things.My I’m thinking about at least two units of CD’s,(a main unit with castellan and sorc-prophet, and a small fireglaive or blunderbusss unit for warmachine protection) to keep them in check.I will also have a small unit of BC’s as heavy cav to deter any chargers on the flanks…what are your thoughts on full command for Hobgobs…

Thanks

rpitts2004:

I use just the standard. Incase I play the battle point scenario

MLP:

Don’t take full command on small units, at most take a musician. Mainly because you’ll give up easy VP from the Standard Bearer if they die for the sake of +1 combat res.

These are my rules of thumb for command models:

- Only take standards in units who you expect to survive combat, not in skirmishers, sacrificial units or ranged units.

- Musician is cheap and allows easier reform rally and drawn combats. Take in all units you can afford

- Only take a champion if he confers a specific bonus(Optional extra weapons for example), the extra attack is worth it (you’ve already paid for a weapon upgrade for example) or you need him to take challanges away from another character. Take a champion in main combat units.

Karring:

- Only take standards in units who you expect to survive combat, not in skirmishers, sacrificial units or ranged units.
- Musician is cheap and allows easier reform rally and drawn combats. Take in all units you can afford
- Only take a champion if he confers a specific bonus(Optional extra weapons for example), the extra attack is worth it (you've already paid for a weapon upgrade for example) or you need him to take challanges away from another character. Take a champion in main combat units.

MLP
Completely agree. Hear to MLP, he knows when he talks!

Thommy H:

You know we have a dedicated Tactics sub-forum, right? Queries like that are more appropriate for there than General Discussion.

nilbog:

Don't take full command on small units, at most take a musician. Mainly because you'll give up easy VP from the Standard Bearer if they die for the sake of +1 combat res.

Or if they can carry a magic standard. A unit of 3 bull centaurs, for example, benefits from the re-roll leadership, extra movement or +1 Ld banner

Especially wolf raiders, if you use them

- Only take a champion if he confers a specific bonus(Optional extra weapons for example), the extra attack is worth it (you've already paid for a weapon upgrade for example) or you need him to take challanges away from another character. Take a champion in main combat units.

Or if you know your opponent is bringing a character on a big scary monster (e.g. dragon) or is a big scary monster (e.g. big khorne daemon thingy) and you want to annoy him by challenging - remember that he can only get a maximum combat res whereas you've (probably) got lots of ranks.

MLP

RichardC1967:

You know we have a dedicated Tactics sub-forum, right? Queries like that are more appropriate for there than General Discussion.

Thommy H
sorry, I'll post there next time...

rpitts2004:

Thommy H

RichardC1967
Now go to your room and think about what you have done young man

RichardC1967:

Thommy H

RichardC1967
Now go to your room and think about what you have done young man

rpitts2004
I'd rather have a spanking...:o