[Archive] Hobgoblin Heroes - Waste of points/character slots?

Kyte:

:h

Are Hobbo heroes a waste of points? I don’t see many people use them, but I can’t see why.

They can have heavy armour and great weapon, so they can give a unit of hobbos or wolfoes a boost of strenght, and then they’re cheap.

Why don’t you take 'em?

Thanks

- Kyte

metro_gnome:

i dunno why… he has matching stats to a CD hero except -1WS and +1M… 20 points less…
the Ld difference is negligible as he should be testing like the rest of the army… at Ld 10…
at 2K there is room for a hobbie hero in any 4 character set up…
but it seems everyone here enjoys spending well over 600 points on characters…

as for Hobbie heroes… i think they are great… but you have to be tricky with them…

in a magic heavy army i recomend…
the steed of shadows cruise missile: Hobbie hero with GW and Gauntlets… and armor… maybe…
great for knocking out chariots and heavily armored cav with his S7 hitz… and at 66 points who cares if he dies…
and if you never get the spell off… the enemy will be quite suprised when that hobbie unit that charged him starts hitting back with S7 hitz…

in a hitty army i recomend…
the Khan: a hobbie hero on wolf with Heavy armor and enchanted shield…
da 'ardest 'obbie with a 2+save… 64 points…
add a sword of might for some S5 love… turns that wolfboy unit into something to fear…
and with these stats he can consider solo operations… only 86 points…

i’ve also seen people use them for pure distraction…
take a couple… put them on wolfs with armor and shields… 58 points…
and if people waste their time shooting at them… well you dont care…
and if people dont shoot at them they got annoying little so-and-sos running behind their army hittin soft targets…
personally i dont think this last option is worth the character slots… but it is an option…

grom:

Did any of thought about hobo hero with Black Gem of Gnaar? In unit of 14 wolfboyz? This would be good to scary some large targets :wink: (2 ranks, outnumber and standard bearer makes them dragonbreakers ;)).

Xander:

Hobbo Wolfs are Fast Cav, no rank bonus for them. :confused:

Patsy02:

I use the hobbo hero all the time(on a wolf), combined with two lv2 and one lv4 sorceror. I use him as a miniature light cavalry unit, hunting down other light cav, warmachines, weak skirmisher units etc.

Lord Zarkov:

I use one on foot to support my sneaky gits with additional HW and armour if I have the points less, he certainly adds to the strength of the unit

grom:

Hobbo Wolfs are Fast Cav, no rank bonus for them. :/

Xander
so give them 4+ Sv ;)

AGPO:

Okay, these tactics are untested as my CDs are not fully converted yet, but they work well with my marrauder horsemen. A big unit of wolf boyz with light armour, shields and full command led by a khan/big boss races down the flank at 18" a turn (hoping you roll sixes for animosity) and quickly is behind the enemy army. Not only do they stop them from marching, but they can take on any war machine crews AND infantry units lingering behind (4+ save, 9 S3 attacks plus your hero, almost certain flank charge). By eliminating the enemy shooting, you eliminate 1/3 of the threat to your artillery/big blocks of troops (combat and magic being the other 2/3). This not only gives you more turns shooting with your artillery, but allows them to do so unopposed.

I also used bulked up light cavalry as shock cavalry units. People tend to underestimate them, especially on the charge. IMO they represent better value for points then BCs, free up a rare slot for that extra earthshaker, and allow you to spend the extra points on bulking out units. As BCs have a maximum 3+ save, at 21pts a model they are not as resiliant as say, knightly orders or chaos knights, and with a hero in the unit, they are a huge VP target. The hobbos are more disposable - and lets face it, thats often how you need cavalry.

In a nutshell what I’m getting at is that Hobbo units with heroes in represent great value, indeed better than lots of units (BCs and Big’uns for example) The infantry is the same. 4+ save, massive numbers for a guaranteed CR of 5 min, Ld10 and with a champion and hero, more than enough hitting. They are flexible, cheap units and heroes and pponents underestimate them at their peril.

oboudd:

i pufer a cd hero rather than a hobgob

Uzkul Werit:

A Hobgoblin Hero’s main use (Chariot/War Machine Hunter) has suffered since the advent of 7th Edition. They no longer get those S7 Attacks when mounted on a Wolf, so you’re forced into using Steed of Shadows instead to get him to places. More risky and easier to stop. Unless your oppenent is an idiot.

metro_gnome:

at S4 or S5 (sword of might) with hes still a warmachine hunter…
he just cant blow up chariots… and to be honest i dont think he should be able to…

In a nutshell what I’m getting at is that Hobbo units with heroes in represent great value, indeed better than lots of units (BCs and Big’uns for example) The infantry is the same. 4+ save, massive numbers for a guaranteed CR of 5 min, Ld10 and with a champion and hero, more than enough hitting. They are flexible, cheap units and heroes and pponents underestimate them at their peril.

AGPO
there used to be a place for this type of thing with gobbo units…
at 3 points a model and a 20 point command… 'ard grotz used to be a valid choice…
at 4 points a model witha 30 point command… you might as well take the superior orcs…
if you are spending more than 50 points on your hobbie infantry you’ve spent too much…

Uzkul Werit:

I’m not sure about that. A unit of 40 'Ard Hobgoblins with Full Command is only 180pts. If I toke a Greenskins Based CD List, then they’d be my first board of call. An Orc with a choppa, light armour and shield is … 7pts? Hobgoblins do the same but less Toughness for cheaper. And they don’t take up a Special Slot too.

metro_gnome:

40 'ard 'obbies w/command is 190 pointz… and is an absurd unit size anyway…

for 190 point i can almost get 4 units of 25 vanilla hobbos…

each one of those units delivers the same static CR value…

minus the standard… minus the 100VP risk…

orcs only cost 5 points… come with choppa, light armor, T4, and Ld7…

for 6 pointz you can get them with shields… which makes them shine…

but the T4 makes them comparable without…

Uzkul Werit:

The 'ard Hobgoblins would still be more likely to get into combat than the four units of Naked Hobgoblins due to the armour save. And in a slave list, the Orcs take up a Special Choice that could be used on tons of Bolt Throwers or Sneaky Gits. But I’ll give it to you metro - if the Orcs were Core then they’d definitely be a better choice.

metro_gnome:

if people are shooting at your hobgoblins and not at your important troops… then you have already won…

special slot is a point… but i can always find the slot for them…

boltthrowers are the only special that competes imho…

and if you are bringing 8 BTs to the table you cant have that many friends to play against…

AGPO:

All valid points metro but I was mainly tlaking about Hobbo cavalry. I still think hard hobbo infantry has a place, but I agree that if you’ve got the special choices free then orcs are often a better option. One point to consider is that people often underestimate hobbos, especially those who haven’t played them before and are just expecting them to be like gobbos. Orcs get a different reaction. I think unless you are going to take DoW heavy cavalry then wolfboyz still represent the best option for CD cavalry except in games of 3,000+pts, and they allow you to take that extra earthshaker

Uzkul Werit:

The main trouble with the Wolfboyz is that you need ten in each unit. They’re far more flexible than BC. Whip them up a flank, knock off a few cannons and have the Great Taurus do the same on the other flank.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I like to use a HG hero in small games. A hero for 99 or 102 points can be great. Wolf, armour of the funrace, great weapon, maybe a shield. He’s great at annoying people, doing a little extra damage, march blocking, the lot. And, you’d be surprised at how much he stays alive and pesters enemy units.

Lord Zarkov:

I always use one to support my sneakies; he’s proved invaluable on many occasions, those 4 S4 attacks that (unless he’s specifically targeted) always strike back are not to be sniffed at and have won me combats many a time

marine281:

And you could add a hobbo hero to a Chaos Dwarf unit, Increase the fighting ability for cheap and no big deal if he dies.