[Archive] Hobgoblins and banner of slavery

ZigZags:

I was wondering if the banner of slavery would make it unnecessary to roll the hobgoblin animosity if within 12"? Or does animosity not count as psychology.

furrie:

I was wondering if the banner of slavery would make it unnecessary to roll the hobgoblin animosity if within 12"? Or does animosity not count as psychology.

ZigZags
It doesn't, when you look at the rules for immune to psychology it says the unit automaticly passes all panic, fear and terrors tests and because the rules of animosity don't mention anything about psychology.

Ugly Green Trog:

On an aside does anyone actually use the banner of slavery? My copy of Tamurkhan is at a friends so can’t remember how much it costs but if I recall there are many banners that are more worthwhile to take.

gashnag:

On an aside does anyone actually use the banner of slavery? My copy of Tamurkhan is at a friends so can't remember how much it costs but if I recall there are many banners that are more worthwhile to take.

Ugly Green Trog
It cost the same as 5 hobgoblins with bows, but to answer your first question I take it in any game I take 2 or more hordes of hobgoblins make them much harder to break when it comes to the ld test. I personally had a unit of 25 with shields get charged in the front by two units of 6 crypt horrors one of the units was positioned so only one of the horrors was in base my little guys stayed in combat for 3 rounds before fleeing I was crazy lucky with my armour and parry saves though.

ZigZags:

On an aside does anyone actually use the banner of slavery? My copy of Tamurkhan is at a friends so can't remember how much it costs but if I recall there are many banners that are more worthwhile to take.

Ugly Green Trog
It cost the same as 5 hobgoblins with bows, but to answer your first question I take it in any game I take 2 or more hordes of hobgoblins make them much harder to break when it comes to the ld test. I personally had a unit of 25 with shields get charged in the front by two units of 6 crypt horrors one of the units was positioned so only one of the horrors was in base my little guys stayed in combat for 3 rounds before fleeing I was crazy lucky with my armour and parry saves though.

gashnag
And one other thing....Why on earth would you want to use the backstabbers ability? Im having trouble getting why I wouldn't just pursue instead.

eudaimon:

That is tactical. I will give you two examples.

1. You win combat in your opponents turn. By not pursuing and reforming, you now have a good charge option (i.e. flank, rear charge, onto a warmachine etc).

2. You win combat in your opponents turn near a table edge, and you have another target you want to charge. You don’t pursue. Instead, you charge the fleeing unit you just broke, who will probably run off the board edge, then you test to redirect, and redirect onto the target you actually want to charge, thus dealing with two units in one go.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’ve only used the Backstabbers rule once (tells you how often they win combat…) and in that single instance, the unit was so close to being below 25% and thus only rallying on a ‘2’, I just did the hits and then reformed for the next target. It’s hardly a great rule but it’s funny and characterful.