[Archive] Hobgoblins from LotR figures

Olaf the Hairy:

I have just converted my first batch of Hobgoblins using LotR Rohirim, Easterlings, Haradrim and Mordor Orcs. I haven’t done the bases yet.

[attachment=2596]

The heads are from Night Goblins, some from the Battle for Skull Pass set and some from that two figure sprue with one spearman and one archer from 15 years ago.  I replaced all the quivers with goblin ones to bring them together more, as the styles of quiver varied a lot between the different groups.

[attachment=2594][attachment=2595]

I created ear flaps and a back flap on the hoods with green stuff. The plastic is very easy to convert.  I went for a dress code to bring them together, not too hard as most of them have equivelent garments in different proportions, so each individual varies but the overal impression should be consistant. The hoods are a uniform blue, over-tunics organge, under-tunics yellow, trousers off-white and cloaks where present are dark brown.

[attachment=2597][attachment=2600][attachment=2599][attachment=2598]

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

tjub:

They look alot better than I thought when I read the topic! The Mordor Orc ones look best IMO… :slight_smile:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Great stuff! Always nice to see something new!

Necrotique:

Looks really good :slight_smile:

Was toying with the idea of doing this myself, but is good to see it works for sure

Do you have any photos of them next to CDs for size comparison?

:cheers

Thorne:

the harradim look very effective. I have a whole bunch of them I mayhave to try that.

Olaf the Hairy:

Necrotique
here is a picture with original and big hat chaos dwarves.

Mosk:

I like the orc ones the most. I like how they have more of the arched backs. Like has been stated with others I was frightened when I first came on to this thread, as I did not think these could possibly look good, but these look great. Not what I would do, but hey this is a great way to do it and they look great. Cant wait to see more

Necrotique:

Necrotique
here is a picture with original and big hat chaos dwarves.

Olaf the Hairy
Those actually look really great man. I love the scale of the orcs, as they size up to be taller than the CDs and yet are hunched.
Well done.

:cheers

Ben Saunders:

I was thinking of LotR orcs, though it hadn’t occurred to me to try the others. Not sure I’m sold on the LotR figures personally, but you’ve done a good job I think.

richard barby:

they look bloody good well done

i have wanted to look at minas tirith for brets when brets are good again

Olaf the Hairy:

thanks for all the comments guys.

I plan to have 20 archers and 40 basic warriors, and possibly some wolf riders (possibly warg riders).

Inspired by a picture I saw somewhere on the forum I just got some GW armured horses which I may try to combine with Abyssal Dwarves from Mantic to make centaurs, cutting slices out of the legs and pinning them back together shorter.

Mosk:

Do you have the link of those conversion

Ben Saunders:

Inspired by a picture I saw somewhere on the forum I just got some GW armured horses which I may try to combine with Abyssal Dwarves from Mantic to make centaurs, cutting slices out of the legs and pinning them back together shorter.

Olaf the Hairy
I was eyeing up some Marauder horsemen for the same purpose. They don't cost much more than buying the armoured horses from GW bits, but I think they're nicer horses and I can probably find use for at least some of the Marauder bits. (Too bad I've already made my dwarfs though.)

Do let us know how you get on. I'm not really sure how to go about the BCs. In particular, lots of people say shorten the legs (fairly obvious) but I'd appreciate a guide/tutorial showing just where to do it...

Olaf the Hairy:

I’m sure I saw some with shortened legs somewhere but I can’t find the pictures.

Ben Saunders:

I’ve seen pictures of finished BCs on the wiki and elsewhere. But I’m not sure I can work back from the finished article to what I need to do when I have two halves of plastic horse in front of me. Nor do I have the benefits of experience/trial and error as to what works well and where the legs join.

Do you shorten both above and below the knee for instance?

caos dwrf:

im really digging it man. might go pick me up a box. looks alot cleaner and simpler then what im doin.

cheers

Caos