[Archive] Hobgoblins or not?

RichardC1967:

not sure if this has been asked before but if it was can someone please link it…

my question is…Are hobgoblins essential units in a CD army…do you really need them to have an effective force? I know CD’s are slow moving, but with all the firepower(warmachines) and specials(Kdaai and bull centaurs) are the hobgoblins just cannon fodder or do they have their uses? How many of you guys use them, and how many play a CD only army? Just trying to get some good ideas because I’m now leaning toward a CD army and was wondering if I should add them

Thanks

gIL^:

hobgoblins are certainly not essential, But often a Infernal guard heavy army will be dwarfed in games i run a unit of 40 hobgobs to hold a flank against chariots, cav you name it.

are hobgoblins essential? No Ive ran armies without Hobgobs and won many games but you will always be outnumbered even by Warriors of chaos and EVEN OGRES! IM NOT EVEN KIDDING!

Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9u1GRyRgQs

eudaimon:

I wouldn’t leave home without them for the reasons above.

beefcake:

Not essential but very cool miniatures. Gotta love the sneaky gits.

Da Crusha:

personally I always bring hobgoblin infantry because the army is just too small without them. Im going to be playing an army very soon without any though just for variety. hobgoblin wolf riders and khan on wolf are always essentials for me though

nilbog:

I’ve previously run 2 lots of 20 hobbos with bows but I’m trying out two units of infernal guard instead. Hobbos die very easily and I fancy having my entire army difficult to wound for a change.

I’d still have a khan on a wolf though.

RichardC1967:

I’m guessing a horde of 40 or so Hobgobs and maybe 20 wolf riders would be a good addition?

Da Crusha:

I usually run a unit of 40 or 50 hg infantry supported with a unit of 20 more for redirecting and only 5 wolf riders.

RichardC1967:

I also noticed an old thread here where people are using just plain old night goblins as Hobgob troops…I didn’t think about that…I guess that would be a good cheap alternative to actually buying the oop GW metal Hobgobs from Ebay…I’ll look into that…thanks for all the replys, looking forward to more opinions

Thanks

rpitts2004:

I use night goblins as my hobgoblins, but as there effectiveness I can’t really say. I used them yesterday against high elves and watched my unit of 15 infernal guard with fireglaives support get destroyed by pit of shades and the hobgoblins ran away and just went off the board 1st turn.

Twisted Dwarf:

I actually consider Hobgoblins to not be necessary at all. Our core dwarfs are a very strong core choice and I have no problem exceeding the minimum core. I like 2 blocks of 30 infernal guard with hand weapon and shield. This gives you two strong combat blocks that can grind out your opponent after they have been weakened by our war machines.

gIL^:

I actually consider Hobgoblins to not be necessary at all. Our core dwarfs are a very strong core choice and I have no problem exceeding the minimum core. I like 2 blocks of 30 infernal guard with hand weapon and shield. This gives you two strong combat blocks that can grind out your opponent after they have been weakened by our war machines.

Twisted Dwarf
Ahh im running 38 with bsb and wizard, Accompanied by 2 units of 10 fireglaives.

I wonder which one is more effective. though mine will probs cost alot more.

CopperPot:

khedyarl:

I’m a big fan of the Heresy goblins, though you’d need to arm them with bows or do some conversion work:

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/shop/images/large/goblinunitdeal.jpg

beefcake:

Yeah I’ve got a few Heresy goblins. Look good as hobgoblins and cheaper than second hand ones probably. Nice sculpts all round with a pretty mean looking boss.

MLP:

I'm a big fan of the Heresy goblins, though you'd need to arm them with bows or do some conversion work:

khedyarl
These are awesome, I wish they did some with extra hand weapons but I'm still going to get a horde of these.

On topic: Generally Hobgoblins aren't essential, you can make do without them against most armies. However you will occasionally struggle against large model count armies (Skaven can be tricky when they have 3 times your models!) without at least one or two cheap hordes of your own.

I'm currently a fan of units of 30-40 Hobgoblins in horde with Full command hand weapon and shield. Suprisingly resilient if in range of your BSB/General. Sometimes I stick a cheap Khan on foot in to suprise any weak targets that come close.

RichardC1967:

I'm a big fan of the Heresy goblins, though you'd need to arm them with bows or do some conversion work:

khedyarl
yea those look really good...I'll have to check into them..

RichardC1967:

CopperPot
I also noticed an old thread here where people are using just plain old night goblins as Hobgob troops..I didn't think about that..I guess that would be a good cheap alternative to actually buying the oop GW metal Hobgobs from Ebay..I'll look into that..thanks for all the replys, looking forward to more opinions

Thanks

Mantic are releasing cool looking Goblins that are cheap as chips

RichardC1967
those are also a possibility..

gIL^:

CopperPot
I also noticed an old thread here where people are using just plain old night goblins as Hobgob troops..I didn't think about that..I guess that would be a good cheap alternative to actually buying the oop GW metal Hobgobs from Ebay..I'll look into that..thanks for all the replys, looking forward to more opinions

Thanks

Mantic are releasing cool looking Goblins that are cheap as chips

RichardC1967
those are also a possibility..

RichardC1967
Ive seen them first hand and they are even better in person, They also got this really cool gun called the trompone which looks cool