[Archive] Hoods more or less competitive 9th age armies

TheHoodedMan:

The list was rather satisfying. I think about some minor adjustments, but altogether it was very effective.

(I played without the ring of dessication, but changed path to alchemy for the Incarnates+flaming banner/ flammable combo; I gave the ring of fire to the BSB which proved very good).

The immortals had no significant close combat like expected, but I didn`t lose them in 3 games and they are very good scorers especially with the speed banner.

Hobgoblins and flintlock axes did more or less their jobs, but without any special successes.

The big Incarnate unit survived all games and is a real threat for the opponent.

The doom train did not much damage (unreliable shooting) but covered a lot of space and took opponent ressources. Nevertheless it would be much more attractive if the minimum shot number would go up and/or the long range modifier was not there.

I had 33 points on the board (60 possible) and was 4th of 10 players. The last game was against the leading german player with HBE. I had a reasonable chance for a 10:10, but due to some relevant mistakes I lost 4:16.

TheHoodedMan:

After a tournament and 2 further matches Ill stick to this list for the moment:<br><br>1 prophet, master, pyromancy, 4 spells, axe of battle (6 A), +1 S gauntlets, hardened shield<br><br>1 BSB, ring of fire, dragon mantle, shield, hero sword<br><br>1 hobgoblin chieftain, wolf, paired weapons<br><br>2 x 10 flintlock Citadel guard, M <br>27 Hobgoblin archers, M <br>30 Hobgoblin archers, M<br><br>27 Immortals, shield, great weapon, CMS, banner of speed<br><br>5 Incarnates <br>3 Incarnates <br>2 Hobgoblin bolt throwers <br>1 Infernal Engine, shrapnel<br><br>Pyromancy is a little more versatile. It is useful against any army and can threaten MSU shooting armies with its (hopefully) 2 pyroclastic blasts. <br>The prophet can move forward with the Immortals for optimum spell range and to hold objectives.<br><br>I gave GW to the immortals for more damage, but kept the shield for ranged weapons/spell protection.<br><br>The immortals dont need an overlord unless they meet a really tough combat unit (which are rare nowadays) or a combo charge. In an emergency the prophet has to move out into a flintlock unit, but that did not happen the last 7 or 8 games.

If opponent moves forward with a combat block the Incarnates can help to reduce it before it hits the immortals or support the immortals in close combat, too.

TheHoodedMan:

The above list performs very stable and I could achieve a high win against a Dwarven Holds army (although I made a major mistake but the dice saved me ;)).

Tomorrow Ill play against an Saurian Ancients tournament army. These armies can be very nasty with their big monsters, a saving throw aura around a stegadon and a lot of swift small lizards with shooting.<br><br>Perhaps Ill try a lammasu wizard against the lizardmen, would be a good opportunity.

I would appreciate if somebody had an idea how to combine it best with our other troop choices.

MadHatter:

After a tournament and 2 further matches I`ll stick to this list for the moment:

1 prophet, master, pyromancy, 4 spells, axe of battle (6 A), +1 S gauntlets, hardened shield

1 BSB, ring of fire, dragon mantle, shield, hero sword

1 hobgoblin chieftain, wolf, paired weapons

2 x 10 flintlock Citadel guard, M
27 Hobgoblin archers, M
30 Hobgoblin archers, M

27 Immortals, shield, great weapon, CMS, banner of speed

5 Incarnates
3 Incarnates
2 Hobgoblin bolt throwers
1 Infernal Engine, shrapnel

Pyromancy is a little more versatile. It is useful against any army and can threaten MSU shooting armies with its (hopefully) 2 pyroclastic blasts.
The prophet can move forward with the Immortals for optimum spell range and to hold objectives.

I gave GW to the immortals for more damage, but kept the shield for ranged weapons/spell protection.

The immortals don`t need an overlord unless they meet a really tough combat unit (which are rare nowadays) or a combo charge. In an emergency the prophet has to move out into a flintlock unit, but that did not happen the last 7 or 8 games.
If opponent moves forward with a combat block the Incarnates can help to reduce it before it hits the immortals or support the immortals in close combat, too.

TheHoodedMan
How did it go?

Great thread, very inspiring as I'm
making my list and getting things together now :hat off

TheHoodedMan:

Ah sorry, didn`t see your comment.

It works very good.

Atm I am thinking of linking the core units together in 2 flintlock units each 15 strong + 1 Hobgoblin unit and perhaps trying the close combat variant of the Infernal Engine like you (although it threatens not so much space on the table than the shooting variant but deals out more damage against bigger targets especially).

MadHatter:

Ah sorry, didn`t see your comment.

It works very good.
Atm I am thinking of linking the core units together in 2 flintlock units each 15 strong + 1 Hobgoblin unit and perhaps trying the close combat variant of the Infernal Engine like you (although it threatens not so much space on the table than the shooting variant but deals out more damage against bigger targets especially).

TheHoodedMan
Interesting, yeah even in 8th I went with dual tanks even if they usually ended up in a cavalry block for the rest of the game trying to thunderstomp (ty forgeworld!) they still locked down the boards and denied points, as for now atleast on paper the way it sets course with them steamhammers is in trouble �Y~,

TheHoodedMan:

I`ll try the CC variant of the engine instead of the shrapnel cannon variant. You can only have 1 Engine in the army.

The shrapnel cannon is not so strong but it can theoretically kill something really big like a Highborn elves phoenix or other monsters or a chariot. It is also good at shooting at monstrous infantry (i.e. minotaurs etc.).

MadHatter:

I`ll try the CC variant of the engine instead of the shrapnel cannon variant. You can only have 1 Engine in the army.

The shrapnel cannon is not so strong but it can theoretically kill something really big like a Highborn elves phoenix or other monsters or a chariot. It is also good at shooting at monstrous infantry (i.e. minotaurs etc.).

TheHoodedMan
Did you try out the gunner team? Maybe it could serve the same purpose?

Skink:

MadHatter
Argh, no! Don´t try it! It´s a waste of points, that thing doesn´t hit anything unfortunately :~ ...

Nice list you have there! I never tried the Engine out myself, perhaps I am going to do it these days :)

TheHoodedMan:

MadHatter
It should. But it doesn`t. It`s a shame because I painted two nice models ;).

@Skink: The engine is a nice addition. Sometimes it really does a good job and it is difficult to kill.

MadHatter:

MadHatter
It should. But it doesn`t. It`s a shame because I painted two nice models ;).

@Skink: The engine is a nice addition. Sometimes it really does a good job and it is difficult to kill.

TheHoodedMan
Yeah for sure, it's been fixed since 8th now also! No reason not to field tanks in fantasy whenever possible :hat off

Skink:

No reason not to field tanks in fantasy whenever possible :hat off

MadHatter
Amen brother. Amen :D