[Archive] Hoods more or less competitive 9th age armies

TheHoodedMan:

Hi there,

in this thread Im going to post my lists and playing experiences with various 9th age ID armies.<br><br>For the next game Ill try this universal list, didn`t know originally what my opponent would play (it is Empire of Sonnstahl now):

2500 pts, full 9th age rules.

Magus, lvl 1 forge, Tome of arcane lore, ring of fire, hardened shield, General 120
Magus, lvl 1 fire, engineer, scroll, lucky shield 140
Vizier, BSB, banner of courage, dragon mantle, dusk stone, infernal weapon, shield 172
Hobgoblin chief  on wolf 55

3 x 10 Citadel Guard, fliintlock ( 1x M, 1 x M,S, 1 x M, S: Gleaming Icon)
28 Hobgoblins, bows for shields, M,S
(Core 625 pts)

2 x 6 disciples, GW
25 immortals, CMS, nezibkesh
2 x Rocket battery
1 x Volcano Cannon

1 x Infernal engine, shrapnel
1 x Kadim Titan

2497 pts.

I hope it will work. The plan is to play cautious but to threaten secondary objectives and switch units with a positive difference for me. Normally no opponent will run front into the immortals backed by a volcano cannon and I have a lot of little shooting for the omnipresent MSU lists.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think you’ll miss not having all those Citadel Guard in one block to act as a block that’s hard to get points out of. But other than that, I think your list looks solid! Good luck!!

TheHoodedMan:

That is a point.

My thoughts about this were to be more flexible with shooting. I can shoot 3 different targets and make 30 shots out of them.

In deployment I have 3 drops instead of one if I want them.

I have 2 standards for objectives and one character carrier instead of only one of the three.

Disadvantage as you said: This are some “easy” points. Tempting, isn`t it ;).

TheHoodedMan:

First test was halfway successful. The list is a strong control list and capable of winning the secondary objectives.
The EoS player had 1 block veterans/halberd (47), 2 blocks flagellants (27 and 26), 2 light mages, Priest on War Altar and Arcane Engine, 2 volley guns and a cannon and a Artificer as well as 5 riders with pistol braces.

I lost about 300 points and had shot him parts of his infantry and wounded the 2 volley guns after 3 turns. Titan with 3 life left would have charged the remaining buffed veterans now, outcome not sure. Objectives would probably have been on my side. So anywhere between 6.14 and 12:8 probably, depending on the Titan.
I played to offensively and lost the disciples too early. Light had 3 strong damage spells against otherworldy creatures (disciples, Titan). Important to keep them out of range at the beginning and to keep the dispel scroll for the important banishment on the Titan.
Citadel guard were not completely killed in turn 3, but one unit was down to 1, the second unit down to 3, but that was ok. Infernal Engine missed nearly everything but is something to deal for the opponent.

TheHoodedMan:

Hi there,
tested the list on a local tournament with 18 participants and went on 8th rank.
Games:
10:10 Highborn Elves - flank deployment (was attacker) - breakthrough
17:3 Beast Herds - classic - breakthrough
5:15 Orcs and Goblins - classic - breakthrough

The highborn player was an experienced guy who played some infantry units, 2 chariots, 1 frost phoenix and 2 bolt throwers. He had an infantry general prince (loremaster with 8 signature spells) and a lvl 1 metal mage. I choose to delay him and shoot with my war machines as long as possible. I knew the destroyer would have difficulties against the white lions but pretended to attack one side.
I was lucky with shooting and had an advantage in points despite some minor playing mistakes (4 disciples killed the frost phoenix :cheers), but could not prevent him from winning the objective. 10:10 (4 turns played)
He also killed the infernal engine with double metal in turn 3.

The second game against beast herds with an unexperienced player was only 3 turns. I let him begin and he made some vanguard moves. This way I could shoot him with the engine and volcano in turn1 and killed 2 of 4 chariots. The Kadim Titan also did a good job and finished a minotaur unit after being redirected. I also could win the breakthrough (17:3).

The third game was against a very good Warhammer Veteran with O and G. I played him several times casually and knew this would be no easy task. He played a very nice army with lots of Infantry (easily more than 100 models) a spider, some mounted heroes/lords and a very important Green Idol. He won turn 1 and stood at the middle of the table, lots of pressure. Shooting was not very good and I couldn`t get the redirectors, only 1 orc hero on wyvern. The Kadim Titan saved some points in winning a combat in the 3rd and last turn, but probably this would have been a sweep for him if we could have played full 6 turns. So it was 15:5 for him.

Conclusions:

Breakthrough is a difficult mission to win for this army. Maybe the other objectives are someway easier. Nevertheless it is also tough for the opponent to get something.
Every component did well. Probably I could go with 2 or 3 less immortals, they had only one fight, perhaps with shield/infernal weapon.

The disciples are great. They are small enough that they are charged by opponents and do lots of damage before leaving the board. Maybe I switch from GW to additional HW and save some points.
Volcano is great against infantry heavy armies for board control.

It is also difficult to win high with the army because opponent can draw back easily, but there is a good chance to get a draw or minor win.

Plays of the day:
4 disciples charging and killing a frost phoenix in one turn (my son threw the dice for me ;-)).
Volcano cannon shooting right through a bestigor herd and tearing it to pieces.
Kadim Titan attacked by a goblin hero with fire ward, a gargantula and a goblin hero on giant spider winning the combat by 3 and all enemies flee.

TheHoodedMan:

Picture of the tired but satisfied army after their arrival at home.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

That’s a damn fine looking army!!

TheHoodedMan:

Hi there.

I played my ID army some time now with varying lists. I was rather successfull with it, especially in our local league where the experience level is mixed.

Now VS 1.2 is published and I made a new list to test. The last games I played with a lvl 1 and a lvl 2, mostly to get 2 fireballs out (one with the ring), the signature forge spell and the forge attribute and the dispel scroll. This magic concept is no more possible.
In the past I tried (unsuccessfully) a non-magic list. Now OUR magic became less effective, the dispel scroll even more expensive while the non-mage magic defense got even a little bit cheaper. So I will try a non-magic list again.

This is my first build (4500 pts, industrial army plan)

point values have roughly doubled in general

Overlord, great bull, flaming lance, divine icon, lucky shield, ring of dessication, Pistol,
general -970-
Vizier, BSB,  Crown of Scorn (dispel), Dragon mantle, lucky charm, banner of speed, shield, infernal weapon - 349-
2 x hobgoblin chief, wolf    2 x 130   -260-

14 citadel guard, flintlock, muso  -446-
12 citadel guard, flintlock, muso  -378-
12 citadel guard, flintlock, muso   -378-

29 Immortals, GW, CMS, aether icon (bonus to dispel rolls) -842-

Titan Mortar, Bound demon   -410-
Infernal Engine, shrapnell  -460-

Feedback appreciated, maybe someone has an idea or built a list himself already.
edit: bound demon makes the mortar count for “bounds and binders”, so I have to change that. Probably the mortar will go normal, an additional rocket launcher and the Citadel guard only 15/10/10-

Scar:

Hmm interesting…

Small army but some nice units, let me know how it goes on the table! :slight_smile:

TheHoodedMan:

Yesterday I played against a friend with Vermin Swarm; He travels to the great team tournament in Herford (TGH) with about 150 team players there. I think Scar is there, too, and blonde beer (although he plays Empire, if I saw it right).

I didnt play the above list but one very similar to one of the open TGH lists. <br>Something like this <br><strong>Infernal Dwarfs, 4500, bound army</strong><br><br><i>Overlord, general, onyx hammer, dragon mantle, shield, duskstone, potion of swiftness <br>Prophet, master, alchemy, 4 spells, book of arcane lore <br>Vizier, BSB, stalker standard, mask of the furnace, shield<br><br>26 Citadel guard, banner of speed, CMS <br>2 x 20 Hobgoblins, bows, M<br><br>Rocket battery <br>bolt thrower <br>gunnery team<br><br>Kadim Titan <br>5 Incarnates <br>3 Incarnates</i><br><br>-----<br><br>He played something like this<br><br><i>plague prophet on pendulum, ring of fire, halberd, general <br>technician, 3 bound spells, charm of cursed iron <br>BSB, aether icon <br>Assassin <br>one of the chars had the crown of scorn (similar to dispel scroll)<br><br>block of vermin guard <br>block of plague brothers <br>2 ratling teams <br>2 x 2 swarms <br>2 x 6 plague censer bearers <br>2 deathmills <br>cannon <br>catapult <br></i> <br>---------- <br>He had "officially" no casters, so could use the items which help armies without magicians. <br>I made several major playing mistakes and was in melee too early with my CG against the brothers block and lost the game early. <br>Version 1.2 plays very well ruleswise, but above list didnt feel comfortable for me (perhaps because it was mainly a copied one ;)). I am not convinced by the new alchemy lore but the attribute spell is probably worth taking. master wizard + arcane lore puts some pressure on the opponent in the magic phase, but it is rather dice depending. Definitely I need one or two redirectors :).

Vermin swarm seemed very strong to me (played it myself until summer last year), especially the plague brothers which have frenzy and hatred. No easy matchup for ID probably, but I have to make a better list nevertheless :cheers.

Carcearion:

Hmm… overall would you say that the ID have wheathered the 1.2 nerfing well? I understand everyone was nerfed for the most part, but people where concerned that they hit ID too hard.

Lol also as always I feel compelled to ask how your Kadim Titan did?

:hashut  Go Titan!  :hashut

TheHoodedMan:

Sorry for the late reply.

The Titan was hit 2 times by the lightning cannon. With some luck only 1 time wounded and lost 3 lp. Then it was delayed by a rat swarm.

Meanwhile the Pendulum block and 6 censer bearers hit my main block and won combat by 6.

I was not steadfast because of the pendulum ranks and the block ran, 11 with swiftstride because of stalker standard.

He rolled double 6 on pursue and all chars were gone.

No need to play it out until the bitter end ;), so possibly the Titan would have done some damage then (or catch a third cannon hit…).

There was a nearly similar list at the TGH Masters (170 team players, 7 played ID). Only the Overlord had a different setup and instead of the Titan there were 6 Incarnates. They are not so easy to redirect because of flying, but I dont have 14 or 15 Incarnate models.<br><br>This list did very well in the team tournament, possibly partly because of the right pairing, and scored about 16 or 17 points average. Great job there. <br>In the single tournament I didnt see a ID list (please correct if I am wrong).

Unzul:

the titan isn’t a good choice if you play in a competitive dimension, the fury is a big problem and now it has opnly ward save 5+… Not good…

I think you need some redirectors and i think that your shotting section isn’t the best one. Too much different choice

:wink:

TheHoodedMan:

the titan isn't a good choice if you play in a competitive dimension, the fury is a big problem and now it has opnly ward save 5+... Not good...

I think you need some redirectors and i think that your shotting section isn't the best one. Too much different choice

;-)

Unzul
You are probably right with the Titan. With Vs. 1.3 I`ll first try a list with a tough immortals unit with bsb/overlord and some support. Probably I will not bring any war machines but only an infernal engine and some incarnates.
There is a tournament on 14th January with a lot of very competitive players and my goal is scoring average points at the end ;), that will be hard enough.

TheHoodedMan:

I`ve got two list variants to test:

Overlord on foot, onyx + defense

prophet +3 spells, arcane power, lucky shield

BSB, ring, flaming banner, some toys

Core mixed from Flintlock (2 x 15) and 21 Hobgoblin archers.

Immortal block, 4 incarnates, 1 redirector

1. What do you think is better to add?

a) Infernal engine as blocker/shooter and a 2nd redirector?

b) Giant + second incarnate unit of 3?

2. What lore is best? Should I use alchemy in addition to the ring or is occultism more flexible? Or pyromancy?

Thanks,

Hood

Unzul:

1 redirector is too little, you need the second (imho).

I’m not a fan of the infernal, I prefer a second unit of incarnates or a double giants

TheHoodedMan:

Yesterday I played a game vs. Warriors of the dark gods.

I changed the list and dropped the Immortals for a big Anointed (big Bull Centaurs) unit to gain some speed. Dropped also the Book of Arcane Power to save some points. Alchemy for the prophet for synergy with the incarnates. Core mainly a big Warriors unit with GW.

ID list

Overlord on foot, onyx + defense, general

prophet, master, +3 spells, alchemy, lucky shield

BSB, ring, flaming banner, hardened shield, infernal weapon

Hobgoblin chieftain, paired weapons, charm of cursed iron (warmachine protection, 4 high INI attacks, emergency redirector)

Hobgoblin chieftain, wolf

37 Warriors, Great Weapon, CMS, speed banner

2 x 20 Hobgoblins, bows

5 Anointed, CMS, gleaming icon, light lance, shield

2 x 3 Incarnates

1 Armoured Giant

WDG played:

General on Juggernaut, Wrath, ogre sword, 2+/4++

BSB on Juggernaut, Wrath, 1+/5++, Aether Icon

Barbarian Chieftain, Hero Sword, gives Ambush, Pestilence

Barbarian Chieftain, Skull Splitter, Crown of Scorn

20 Warriors, paired weapon, no mark

25 Barbarians, Great weapon, Pestilence (Ambush unit), poison banner

4 skullcrushers, stalker standard

1 Chimera

1 Chariot with big beast

1 Fallen beast

WDG had no magic, but full magic defense (dispel like a master and dispel crown).

The ID won the game, but there were some very lucky dice rolls in there. 3 incarnates flanked the crushers and killed them on the run, that was an early game changer. But we played to the end, to see what the various units can do.

______

I had good experiences with magic. Especially the spell which denies Strength bonuses of weapons was very good. For me the buffs/debuffs in Alchemy work better than the damage spells. With a wizard on foot I consider Alchemy our best lore, on a flying wizard maybe Occultism is useful as well.

The Incarnates are very hard hitters, but one more per unit would be very good (or do you think it would be better to play a big unit of 5 or 6?) Mainly they should be warmachine and caster hunters). Lore of Alchemy makes them much stronger.

The hobgoblin chieftain on foot is good. 4 attacks S4 on high INI is a nice additon and in an emergency you can throw him out of the unit to block an overrun etc. You can also give him useful items like the cursed iron or a ring of fire.

Hobgoblins did their job as usual. The great weapon warriors mainly drew some attention and carried the chars. The Anointed killed the chariot on a charge and overrun in the flank of the chaos warriors, chasing them to death. Without the crusher block the WDG could not counter them. The shields are really worth the points even if this hurts a lot (+60 p for the unit).

The giant was not bad, the armor helps a lot, especially if buffed with alchemy to 3+ or 2+ ;). But I had the feeling that 3 Incarnates, which cost only +30p, do a little more havoc. Other experiences? Is the giant worth taking?

I also would like to include a 2nd real redirector and a ring of fire or skull splitter. Ideas?

TheHoodedMan:

I changed the list and played on a Tournament in Munich, southern Germany, on Saturday.

Overlord on foot, onyx + defense, general

prophet, master, +3 spells, alchemy, lucky shield

BSB, ring, flaming banner, hardened shield, infernal weapon

protection, 4 high INI attacks, emergency redirector)

Hobgoblin chieftain, wolf

37 Warriors, Great Weapon, CMS, speed banner

2 x 20 Hobgoblins, bows

5 Anointed, CMS, gleaming icon, light lance, shield

5 Incarnates

1 Infernal Engine, shrapnel

I was only 24th of 32 but made some fatal mistakes and opponents were very skilled. 15:5 against Orcs, 5: 15 against mixed Demons and 0:20 against a Lizardmen monster melee list.

The Incarnates are very strong, the Engine performed very well 2 of 3 games (killed a mage and a chariot in game1, a demon prince in game2). Magic worked out satisfying, staying with a master wizard (+2 casting bonus) payed definitely out.

The deathstar unit is too immobile against mobile lists (which were the most). I have to change something there, maybe taking out the Overlord (reluctantly because Ld10 is great to have). The Anointed are tough and offensively very strong, but have a gigantic footprint. I don`t know if I kick them out, too.

Hobgoblins do their job, as always.

Khan won the first game, blocked the half Orc army with one move. Need a 2nd one like mentioned from Unzul above ;-).

Will post a new list as soon as I have one ;-).

TheHoodedMan:

New test Vs. 1.3 4500 points

3 x 10 flintlock, m

1 x 24 Hobgoblins, bow, m

23 Immortals, fcm, flaming banner, Infernal weapon, shield

3 incarnates

5 incarnates

2 titan mortars

prohet, master, 4 spells, alchemy, hardened shield, regeneration, general

vizier, bsb, dragon mantle, shield, infernal weapon, ring of dessication

2 x hobgoblin chieftain, wolf

against a Vampire Covenant close combat list with

2 x 20+ zombies, 1 x 20+ skeletons

2 x 3 flying monstrous creatures

2 x Varkolak

3 x 8 undead dogs

1 x 2 Vampire swarm

8 x undead knights

1 necromancer 4 spells evocation

2 Vampires, mounted, with deadly equipment, each 1 spell Occultism

diagonal deployment, breakthrough (ouch)

It was a nice match. I had some luck in the magic phases and had more successful spells than my opponent. The hobgoblins shot down a Varkolak (hah!). Otherwise he deployed very smart and came to my side with the undead knight/vampire bus. I couldn`t stop the flyers/ varkolaks from killing 2 warmachines, but killed some things myself, too. 12:8 according to units, he won the objective, so 15:5 for him.

The mortars were totally ineffective, magic worked, Incarnates were great, flintlock units were pretty good. Same problem as always: Choose between stability (immortals and/or overlord) or mobility (fx Anointed).

Despite the loss I felt better during the game with 3 dwarf units in core instead of one big.

TheHoodedMan:

At the weekend Ill visit a small tournament in the area.<br><br>I worked on a new list:<br><br>1 prophet, master, alchemy or pyromancy, 4 spells, axe of battle (6 A), +1 S gauntlets, lucky shield, lucky charm<br><br>1 BSB, ring, hardened shield, flaming banner<br><br>1 hobgoblin chieftain, wolf<br><br>2 x 10 flintlock Citadel guard, M <br>28 Hobgoblin archers, M <br>30 Hobgoblin archers, M<br><br>25 Immortals, shield, infernal weapon, CMS, banner of speed<br><br>5 Incarnates <br>3 Incarnates <br>2 Hobgoblin bolt throwers <br>1 Infernal Engine, shrapnel<br><br>I hope the Immortal block is tough enough without an overlord. <br><br>I am thinking about taking 2 or 3 more Immortals and change Infernal Weapon/Shield to Great Weapon (good against heavily armored troops/hight T/Monsters). <br>I am also not sure at the path for the wizard. Alchemy works great because of the attribute but pyromancy has its advantages as well at a distance. What do you think?