[Archive] Hot Dwarves in the cold north (WHFB 8th)

Thogg:

This will be a series of reps and/or comments of varying size and length concerning my battles with my new CD army, played in WHFB 8th ed (most often with ETC’s 8.5 faq/errata). Thought it could be fun finally write something like this, and keep the fires of 8th ed burning! Don’t expect any pictures though…! :cheers

Thogg:

First battle fought today, my green CD vs a friend’s somewhat-green WoC. The battle ended in a solid massacre in favour of the CD! :smiley:

Armies in short:

CD:
Lvl 4 hashut, defensive
Lvl 2 metal, scroll
BSB, defensive
3 khans on wolves
27 sword & board IG
25 Burning Blunderbusses
Magma cannon
Rocket launcher
Dreadquake
Shooty train

WoC
Lvl 4 shadow, scroll demonblade
Bsb, glittering scales
20-ish nurgle warriors with banner of +1 movement
12-ish possessed with swiftstride
2x5 hounds
Chimera with ugly breath
5 mounted marauders
12 nurgle ogres
2 heavy chariots
Hellcannon

My CD won by grinding down the WoC in a war of attrition really. Need more practice with my Khans as I ended up making his chariots more effective…! Dreadquake couldn’t wound anything when hitting important stuff like hellcannon and chariots, but compensated when it blew up half the warrior block(!) in one go. Blunderbusses were tanky, but didn’t do much in their one and only salvo (one shot each). Khans won vs hounds but ultimately. Sword & board guard took care of both possessed and chimera, even after they lost 10 men to a clumsy miscast from the prophet… Magma cannon did good but were killed by a chariot. Lvl 2 daemonsmith took care of both chariots pretty much on his own, long live lore of metal! Iron daemon failed to blast marauders, but got them in cc. Got hold up all game by ogres, but won in the end with some help from blunderbusses. My poor mate’s hellcannon didn’t hit a SINGLE thing through the whole game :o But my rocket launcher didn’t either so guess it’s somewhat even :stuck_out_tongue:

All in all a nice and pleasant game. Was very cool to finally play with CD, and very cool to finally play against them assured my beaten-but-far-from-broken opponent. More games are coming up, next will probably be against the hated Helfs, who will sport a pretty hard list with lots of cav, white lions, triple bolt throwers, lore of heavens and whatnot. I put my hopes to centaurs, taur’ruk, destroyer and less artillery for the comet to chase!

Abecedar:

Thanks for the report. Sounded fun.

Thogg:

Game #2 done, this time vs. the hated helfs.

Armies in short:

Lvl4 Hashut, defensive
Lvl1 Fire, chalice
Bsb, mask & GW
Taur’ruk, armour kit
28 infernals sword & board
25 burning blunderbusses
3 Renders, shields & mus
Magma cannon
Rocket
Destroyer

Lvl4 High, cheese book & ward
Loremaster, scroll & ward
Bsb, Ogre blade
3x5 reavers, bows
35 sea guards, bows
25-ish lions, cheese banner
25-ish phoenix guards, piercing banner
3 bolt throwers

Scenario: Watchtower (etc 8.5 mod).

Game went well for the chaos dwarves. The helf never having met CD thought it was a swell idea to charge lions into K’daii round 1, k’daii killed everything in three phases losing only 2 wounds (though he got tired after this and decided to lose 3 wounds on his own…). Sea guards killed 9(!) blunderbusses in their first salvo… But they didn’t do anything else whole game so was ok in the end. This relegated blunderbusses to kill reavers together with the fire smith, which they did good though I