[Archive] How hard is this list please?

Kamphre:

Hi guys,

I’m playing occasionally more or less this list :

- 1 Sorcerer lvl 4, Hashut, Earthing rod and the-shield-saving-first-wound-on-2+ (can’t remember the english name, sorry) ;

- 1 GB, Mask of Furnace

- 2 khans on wolf

- 26 Infernal guards with great weapon, full command, banner of swiftness

- 30 hobgoblins, musician and standard

- 1 magma cannon

- 1 deathshrieker

- 3 centaures with great weapon

- 1 apocalypse

Do you think this list is strong ? Strong enough to win easily ?

I ask because my last three battles, I stomped on my opponents. Last two were against the same vampire friend, and I lost 1 khan on first battle, and nothing on second.

I don’t feel like this list is too powerful and I think it’s my opponents who’s not focusing on the real threats, but I’d like your thought, maybe you’ll have ideas I didn’t had…

Bloodbeard:

No - your list is not too hard. It’s a fun alround list, but not very competitive. Here’s what could be changed to be nastier:

A few things: I suppose you’ve forgotten to write a wardsave on your general. If fielding him without - your list is pretty bad.

What does GB mean? I guess it’s you Battle Standard Bearer. I would give him a better save with the enchanted shield as well. He needs to survive everything, the other guys will do the damage.

GWs are not the nastiest choice on the infernal guard. With HW/S and Razor Banner, they’ll have a much better save, ward save and still cut through most armor. … Or you could bring blunderbusses, wait back with you artillery and blast everything to pieces.

3 centaures are not really used that much. The don’t pack enough of a punch and loose quite easily being only three guys. So it’s a lot of points for you opponents. And they don’t have much support in you list (or support role for Iron demon or Destroyer).

You have only 1 prophet/smith for three warmachines - you could easily bring two. And if the general prophet is alone he is easy to kill, being with the IG he’ll be out of range from the warmachines.

Apocalypse is called Hellcannon in english.

You have no hellbound Iron Demon, no dispel scroll, no chalice, no destroyer.

Your list is fine, must give you some fun games - could be made way more competitive, but you should keep this.

Your Vampire opponent must be doing something very wrong. Centaurs should easily get stuck, redirected or bugged down by zombies. Terrorgheist can scream your warmachines to death, vargheists could fly and take our the warmachines and BCs by flank attack. The mortis engine could blow up your entire army. A Vampire blender lord is almost unstoppable.

sam585:

list is easy

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Kamphre:

Sorry for the mistakes, I lose my vocabulary when it’s too late (was around midnight).

@Bloodbeard :

A few things: I suppose you’ve forgotten to write a wardsave on your general. If fielding him without - your list is pretty bad.

Yes, I forget to mention every item, because they’re obvious too me. He has the Charmed shield for miscasts.

What does GB mean? I guess it’s you Battle Standard Bearer. I would give him a better save with the enchanted shield as well. He needs to survive everything, the other guys will do the damage.

Again, sorry for the french words or abbreviations. you’re right, GB is the BSB. He has a great weapon. Actually it’s never focused in combat because people know that it’s well protected and it’ll be a waste of attacks.

I should try a list without any protection ! :stuck_out_tongue:

GWs are not the nastiest choice on the infernal guard. With HW/S and Razor Banner, they’ll have a much better save, ward save and still cut through most armor. … Or you could bring blunderbusses, wait back with you artillery and blast everything to pieces.

I played vanilla dwarfs for 10 years. I liked a lot the great weapons, for two reasons : most of the time they hit last and getting +1 save is not worth wounding on 2+. I have a lot of figures to balance the losses.

I don’t change them for blunderbusses for 3 reasons : their cost, I don’t have the minis and I don’t want to play a boring gunline.

3 centaures are not really used that much. The don’t pack enough of a punch and loose quite easily being only three guys. So it’s a lot of points for you opponents. And they don’t have much support in you list (or support role for Iron demon or Destroyer).

I switch the Hellcannon for the K’Daai time to time. 3 Centaurs cost 150 points. It’s not a lot and they’re really helpful, giving me some mobile troop; They can kill 20 zombies, light cavalry, be a target instead of something else or help by flanking units. I like them like that. 4 is too much.

You have only 1 prophet/smith for three warmachines - you could easily bring two. And if the general prophet is alone he is easy to kill, being with the IG he’ll be out of range from the warmachines.

2 is overkill : the magma cannon does not need an engineer. Once I’ve used the deathshrieker to snipe 1 or 2 big threat (Terrogheist, cannon, etc), it doesn’t really matters if there is no reroll for him…

I don’t really feel that I need one more.

Apocalypse is called Hellcannon in english.

Thank you for the remainder, couldn’t get the right word :frowning:

You have no hellbound Iron Demon, no dispel scroll, no chalice, no destroyer.

That’s exactly why I couldn’t understand why my last 2 battles where so “one-way” : I should lose more units, and I try to understand why he’s struggling. I don’t want to lose all my friends ! :wink:

Yesterday (I think I had Hashut with me), my hellcannon charged his mortis engine. I only did 1 wound, he did none ; next, he flank-charged it and front-charged with a vampire (not tooled to be a blender). He did 2 wounds, 1 on a handler, 1 on the monster. I destroyed the mortis engine and stomped the vampire. He gave up, saying that the army was overpowered.

Terrorgheist was one-shot by the deathshrieker, gouls burned to ash by two magma shots. Turn 2 it was nearly ended, Turn 3 15 ghouls remains, Turn 4 he was completely erased from the surface of the world.

So yes I was lucky with my dice rolls, but still… I know I can be really worst, I keep that for later, when my opponents will manage to do better.

TheHoodedMan:

The list is still not to hard. In our community there are nice people who play the hardest lists available and loose every game high. First because they only try to write hard lists but don`t think about how to play them and second because low self confidence because they lost a few games in a row. Maybe your friend has a similar problem.

Suggest that you switch armies next time. You play his vampires and he plays your CD.

edit: Would be good to win then ;).

MadHatter:

Congratulations on winning!

CD’s are not overpowered but we get slammed with that pretty often. We’re mid-tier, show your friend the US Masters ranks, CD’s placed 32nd and 67th.